Gabapentin for Pain

cocoanlace

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat has an inoperable liver pseudo cyst that causes him discomfort, and possibly a little pain. His vet suggested compounded Gabapentin, 2x daily. I have been reading that it is a drug that needs to be tapered off, like prednisolone, because of adverse effects of stopping it abruptly. This concerns me because I planned to use it only on days when it seemed needed. Does anyone have experience with Gabapentin given as needed rather than constantly? I don't think it's necessary for my kitty to be drugged up all the time unless I observe him in pain or discomfort. Thanks for any insight.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Sorry no one has responded to your post yet. I am not familiar with long term use of Gabapentin, but would imagine over a long period of time, tapering off would be a good idea. Does your vet support you using it only intermittently? I only ask that because, if Gabapentin is used for pain management, I believe it requires a relatively 'steady stream' into the body to be its most effective. So, only giving it when you think your cat is in pain might not accomplish much. It is slow acting, and not very long lasting, as far as I know.

Can you ask your vet about other possible pain relief meds that you could give on an 'as needed' basis?

Also, by me responding to your post, it will 'bump it up' on the list and hopefully help other members to see it and respond with more helpful information and some first hand knowledge.

shebaa

Queen of Sheba
Alpha Cat
Purraise
my cat takes that whenever i take her somewhere. so not very often. she never have any side effects, besides the obvious of course.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cocoanlace

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
my cat takes that whenever i take her somewhere. so not very often. she never have any side effects, besides the obvious of course.
So that answers my question. It can be given when needed rather every day. I talked to the lady at the vet's office who is trying to find a compounded version for me, and she said my kitty would need to take 50 to 100 mg twice a day to get used to it and then if working I could give it once a day. For that reason I have not put the prescription through. I don't want it to be a daily thing that I have to give him. I read on some dog sites where the dogs had bad reactions and I think it's because they got too much of the drug.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So that answers my question. It can be given when needed rather every day. I talked to the lady at the vet's office who is trying to find a compounded version for me, and she said my kitty would need to take 50 to 100 mg twice a day to get used to it and then if working I could give it once a day. For that reason I have not put the prescription through. I don't want it to be a daily thing that I have to give him. I read on some dog sites where the dogs had bad reactions and I think it's because they got too much of the drug.
Gabapentin when used ahead of a vet visit is NOT for managing pain, it has calming effects and that is why it is used before a vet visit. Its purpose in that case is entirely different than when one is trying to keep a pet from being in pain.

cocoanlace

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Does your vet support you using it only intermittently? I only ask that because, if Gabapentin is used for pain management, I believe it requires a relatively 'steady stream' into the body to be its most effective. So, only giving it when you think your cat is in pain might not accomplish much. It is slow acting, and not very long lasting, as far as I know.

I'm going to email my vet and ask about giving Gabapentin intermittently. Also the woman at the vet office says my cat is get getting such a small amount that tapering off would not be necessary. She said that they never have any of their patients taper off of this drug. But that's not what I have read online from many pet owners. Their pets definitely had withdrawal symptoms.

shebaa

Queen of Sheba
Alpha Cat
Purraise
my cat takes 100mg. maybe start giving your cat 50mg everyday, it will relax your kitty just a little. and since its used for pain in your cat and some people are saying its best to use daily to actually work so it may be best to use daily even if its a small dose. and then a full dose as needed. if my kitty needed to use it for pain thats what i would do.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've taken it myself, so I can tell you about the effects. It does make you sleepy, so she may spend more time snoozing. I took it for 6 weeks daily, and then abruptly stopped without any side effects. I had nerve pain, and it did help with that, but it took several weeks for it to help. Some other med might be better for other kinds of pain.

cocoanlace

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
my cat takes 100mg. maybe start giving your cat 50mg everyday, it will relax your kitty just a little. and since its used for pain in your cat and some people are saying its best to use daily to actually work so it may be best to use daily even if its a small dose. and then a full dose as needed. if my kitty needed to use it for pain thats what i would do.
Thank you.

cocoanlace

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Gabapentin when used ahead of a vet visit is NOT for managing pain, it has calming effects and that is why it is used before a vet visit. Its purpose in that case is entirely different than when one is trying to keep a pet from being in pain.
Got it. Thx.

cocoanlace

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you.
I've taken it myself, so I can tell you about the effects. It does make you sleepy, so she may spend more time snoozing. I took it for 6 weeks daily, and then abruptly stopped without any side effects. I had nerve pain, and it did help with that, but it took several weeks for it to help. Some other med might be better for other kinds of pain.
Thank you. All input is important to me. My cat's internist put a lot of thought into selecting which drug would be appropriate and chose Gabapentin.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Krista’s only experience with gabapentin made her cross-eyed for half a day (nystagmus.). She had tooth extractions and looked like she was in more pain than the bupe shot she got. I asked the vet if there was something else she could be given.

We do have a prescription now for gabapentin. But it’s a smaller dose to be used before vet visits. I haven’t tried it with her because I wanted to try it once without a visit to see how she handles it. But she’s had other things going on that I haven’t gotten around to doping her for no good reason except to see how she might react to it.

I’d ask again about bupe if you’re not going to use gabapentin on a regular basis as prescribed.