CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi
Im taking my cat to the vet tomorrow Mon @4:00pm
Took him other day and it was a nightmare for mainly him
And stressful for me n him(Fudgey)
He needs exam...fecal test..urine test..good ole physical cause hes slacking up on any wet food im giving
Just will eat dry
And I dont like just feeding dry
But anyway
The vet told me how to and often to distribute the gababentin before bringing him to the back go vet

Anyone on give me some idea of how my Fudgey will react..what to expect..and when and how before ver visit did you give your cat gababentin
How long does it last??How soon does it start to work
So Fudgey wont be growling..hissing..n trying to bite the nurse n vet
I need HELP
Need to take him to ver
Tia

shebaa

Queen of Sheba
Alpha Cat
Purraise
you should give him it about 2 hours before appt. vets will also recommend to give a dose night before appt as well. it will start to take effect about 1.5 hours later. as for how long it last, maybe 7 hours, never really paid any attention on how long it stays in their system when i gave that to my cat. side effects are drowsy (sleepy) and wobbly. but this is normal and nothing to worry about. because of this, it makes your cat easier to handle at the vet

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
you should give him it about 2 hours before appt. vets will also recommend to give a dose night before appt as well. it will start to take effect about 1.5 hours later. as for how long it last, maybe 7 hours, never really paid any attention on how long it stays in their system when i gave that to my cat. side effects are drowsy (sleepy) and wobbly. but this is normal and nothing to worry about. because of this, it makes your cat easier to handle at the vet
Do you have to give night before or can just give 2 hrs before vet visit??

suzeanna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Do you have to give night before or can just give 2 hrs before vet visit??
You don't have to give it the night before by any means. I think it's just helpful to get the cat into a calmer state the night beforehand and maybe get them a little used to it. I don't think the dose the evening before the appt would need to be as big as the dose ~2 hours before the appointment either.

My cat started having aggression issues a few weeks after I adopted her and gabapentin saved our household. It definitely helped her relax when the vet visited. We used the liquid kind, which was easy to measure precisely but might be expensive if you only need a little bit.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My dog needs to be medicated to go to the vet, and this new vet gave me gabapentin and traxadone for her. I gave her one dose last night and one dose this morning, and her appointment is today after work. It takes a while for gabapentin to fully kick in. So, yes, a dose the night before may be standard, or a new protocol. Do whatever the vet said.

shebaa

Queen of Sheba
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If vet didn't mention a night before vet dose then it may not be necessary. If vet still has problems examining the cat todat then next time it'll be worth trying the the night before vet dose.