Furminator vs Shedzilla

tx_kat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've read so many singing the praises of the Furminator on here, but I'm wondering how it compares to the Shedzilla and similar de-shedding tools. 

I bought a Shedzilla a year ago for our long haired girl, Gidget.  I've since seen pictures of how much fur people got off of their animals using the Furminator, and it looks like the amount I got off Gidget the first couple of times I used it.  Now I get a ball of fur about the size of a computer mouse off of Gidget each week.  My husband tried the brush on our DSH girl, Angel, this spring because she was pretty matted from not being able to groom herself because she's so big (which has convinced my husband that she's obese and needs to lose weight and that we need to change how we feed the cats, but that's another topic).  It took a week of short grooming sessions, but the brush got out all of the mats and took an amazing amount of fur off of Angel.  We brush Angel once a week now and get less fur than from Gidget, but it's still quite a bit of fur.  We also use the brush on our DHS boy Demon, but rarely get any fur at all.  Then again, we don't get much fur off of him with the grooming glove, metal flea comb or any other grooming tool we've used  on him so far.

Do you think the Furminator would do a better job than the Shedzilla we are currently using?   Do you think a Furminator would get any fur off our our boy?

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I had never heard of the shedzilla. The picture looks like it's basically a comb on the end of a handle. The furminator is great for my shorthaired cats, but I've heard that it's not so good for longhaired cats. I prefer a comb with rounded metal teeth (similar to the shedzilla) for cats with long hair or really thick fur. If it's working for you, I would stick with it rather than buy another tool that might or might not work better.

Last edited:

pugsanonymous

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've never heard of the Shedzilla, but based on the picture I just saw on Amazon it looks quite different than a Furminator. I use a "Furbuster" and it is the same as a Furminator, but I got it for a better price. The Shedzilla is probably good for mats and stuff, but it won't do what a Furminator does. You get a *lot* more fur out with a Furminator because it really gets to the undercoat and takes out all the excess fur.

olivesmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,

I bought a shedzilla (or something that looks really similar) and feel that it works about as well as a furminator type brush that we used to have. Plus, my cat will actually let me use the shedzilla on her.

She has medium length fine fur. No double coat. I tried using both brushes on my leg and the furminator one left some scratches there, where as the smooth edge of the shedzilla did nothing. Also, because the teeth are a bit farther apart on the shedzilla, when brushing through her fur there wasn't as much static noise and it slides through easier. I think this coupled with the smooth edge against her skin is what she tolerates. However she is not one of those that sheds as you pet her, so the furminator might get out more fur with these types of coats.

However at work, we have only furminators and most of the dogs (even those with the shorter fur, but not short like pit bulls or dobermans) don't seem to mind the furminators.