Furless bare patches

Marlow cat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is this normal? Our new cat Sheldon has a figure 8 bald patch around his man nipples near his hind legs. I noticed it while he was cleaning/licking the area. The bald area is around an inch around each nipple. Sheldon seems happy and healthy otherwise. He's adorable. Thanks

Attachments

wacckky

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Have you checked for fleas? This happened to one of my moms cats and turned out she was allergic to fleas. It also happened to another cat we had and we didnt even have fleas at the time but she was allergic to something in the house. Another thing maybe your cat has anxiety or something and just obsessively licks themselves? I'm no vet these are just things I could think of

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well, 14 posts in, and W wacckky hit all of the main points I was thinking of. Fleas, allergic reaction, or anxiety. If he licks the area a lot, that would account for the hair loss. If you are certain that there are no fleas, give this a bit of time and see if it resolves itself. Cats are ALWAYS somewhat anxious in new places, even the BEST new places. That's their nature. If it continues, or gets worse, have your vet take a look at him. Insofar as that goes, I'd suggest having him vetted quite soon anyway. It's just good practice to have a new cat checked out within the first week or so. Mention your concerns to your vet at that time.

wacckky

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I missed the part where you said shes a new cat, could be anxiety! One of my bfs cat seems to have anxiety, she doesnt obsessively lick her hair off but she will nibble on her paw until its raw?? We got a feliway friends diffuser and it seemed to work on her. She doesnt do it anymore and "came out of her shell" shes more vocal and cuddly now too! Worth a shot

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Marlow cat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks to all. I checked closely and it's not fleas. Sheldon is displaying all the behaviors of a confident cat but it may still be stress. We will continue to monitor him closely.

wacckky

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks to all. I checked closely and it's not fleas. Sheldon is displaying all the behaviors of a confident cat but it may still be stress. We will continue to monitor him closely.
If you can, try to get a feliway diffuser! It seemed to work on one of our cats, we didnt get it for her but it seemed to have worked for her. Shes a totally different cat now lol