Fur never grew back

tiggerwillow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Along Willow's back legs (the inside of her back legs) cause of a allergic reaction she had a few years ago, she lost fur down the inside of her legs

This fur has never grown back, it's not bothering her, she's treating the area the same way she treats everything else on her body, just normal licks, she only chews her fur when she gets a bit of grit from rolling around in the yard, caught up in her fur

Vet saw her a few months ago and wasn't concerned about the fact that fur had never grew itself back

The skin around the area is perfectly fine, vet's happy with that

What can I do to encourage the fur to grow back, or will she never get fur back down there again?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! I wonder if the follicles got damaged, if that's the right word, during that reaction she suffered. Maybe some vitamin E and a little massaging?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tiggerwillow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She thinks having the inside of her legs touched is undignified, doesn't matter which leg she gets offended if the inside of any of them gets touched

tiggerwillow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
where do I get it without it doing harm to her?

sorry i dont want her to die :(

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
For clarification regarding the safety of it;

From petmd;
Generally, fish oil is safe for cats. As mentioned, fatty acids are essential nutrients for cats, although if you give your cat too much of them, it can have adverse health consequences. Veterinarians recommend avoiding fish oil pills for cats if your cat:
  • Has dietary fat restrictions, for instance, due to hyperlipidemia;
  • Has thrombocytopenia;
  • Is receiving medication that is affecting platelet functioning in any way;
  • Has large or nonhealing wounds; or has
  • Gastrointestinal disease.

I've used human grade fish oil for my boy. It does have a positive effect, his fur got thicker. Omega three is available online too.

Fatty Acid Supplementation in Cats - Best Friends Veterinary Center.

tiggerwillow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
is it a liquid I can mix with wet food, cause she won't have tablets, she foams at the mouth if i try give her tablets and try every trick in the cat-book and some tricks that other cats havent even thought of, to make sure she does not swallow it

i've never known a cat this hard to give tablets to .......

tiggerwillow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Just looking now, Tigger has some yumove stuff, cause her leg gets bad in cold weather, don't think thats the same stuff as the oil stuff

tiggerwillow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
thanks its a american website so idk if they deliver to UK, will have to have a look after work tomorrow

I'll order some off amazon, found some there idk what the conversion for dollars to pounds is

tiggerwillow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
okay so I got some oily liquid stuff, going to start her on it tomorrow when I get back from work.

Both girls play musical food bowls, would it do Tigger any harm if she and Willow swapped food bowls if I gave Willow it in her breakfast tomorrow morning before work?