Fur elderly cat

Sarah 1980

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We have a 18 year old cat and a 12 year old doggy.

They are doing great. eating and drinking well. Still playing, grooming themselves.

Also their fur is nicely thick.

But they have the same problem. Their fur feels a bit greasy and with flakes.

Blood and urine are fine.

Could it be the central heating and possibly old age?

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It could be the heating drying their skin. I rub coconut oil on my fingertips and massage into my cats skin. It leaves the coat a little greasy fir a few days but gets rid of the flakes. Are they both drinking plenty of water?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sarah 1980

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It could be the heating drying their skin. I rub coconut oil on my fingertips and massage into my cats skin. It leaves the coat a little greasy fir a few days but gets rid of the flakes. Are they both drinking plenty of water?
Yes, they both drink well and not too much.

Because of their age we let the vet do bloodwork onze a year.

Doggy bella looks like an old doggy. But the vet doesn't give minous 18...minous is very healthy and well looking. Even her teeth are extremely healthy.

But they both have a clean bill of health.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The other thing to try is to brush them regularly. That will spread the natural oils throughout their hair which can help to reduce the flakiness, which sounds like dandruff, and help to minimize the greasy feel. Cats generally groom enough not to require baths, but I always thought dogs needed an occasional bath as I don't think their grooming 'techniques' match those of cats!

How about bedding or areas they tend to spend a lot of time in/on? Cleaning the bedding might help to reduce 'leftover' dirt/oils they are resting in.