Fur clumps

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Butzie has developed fur clumps. At first I thought it was just some matted fur but it won't brush out. Now there more. Butzie is not acting sick. She is an indoor kitty with outdoor balcony priviledges. Anyone know what this is?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Are you experiencing the beginning of fall?

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How old is she? Never mind I looked on her page and know she is about 4.

Mats don't usually brush out, they have to be split by hand or cut out, so I am not sure what you are seeing. "Clumps" sounds like mats to me.

Can you split them, I mean pull them apart, by hand?

Where on her body are they?

cazlee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If the hair is matted, you will have to pull them apart or cut them out. I had a Persian that lives with my dad. If I didn't brush her twice a day every day, her cobweb fine hair would mat up in an instant. They take her for lion cuts regularly now otherwise she becomes a rasta-cat.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by butzie

Yes. Does that have anything to do with it?
Lots of cats undercoats are thickening up. As I've mentioned in another thread, there have been a lot of hairball related threads lately.

Use a comb to work out the matts if you can. If not, work the comb between the fur and skin and use that to guard the skin if you have to snip some of a matt out.
Comb and brush more often and that should solve the issue.
(use the comb to work out tangles before using a brush or deshedding tool so you won't pull any fur)

Has there been any change in her diet since this time last year?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Lots of cats undercoats are thickening up. As I've mentioned in another thread, there have been a lot of hairball related threads lately.

Use a comb to work out the matts if you can. If not, work the comb between the fur and skin and use that to guard the skin if you have to snip some of a matt out.
Comb and brush more often and that should solve the issue.
(use the comb to work out tangles before using a brush or deshedding tool so you won't pull any fur)

Has there been any change in her diet since this time last year?
Nope. She only likes her dried food and the VERY occasional people tuna. She has always had a sensitive stomach so I watch what she eats.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Nope. She only likes her dried food and the VERY occasional people tuna. She has always had a sensitive stomach so I watch what she eats.
I wasn't sure if her dry food brand had changed since things (life in general) has changed for you over the last couple years.

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

I wasn't sure if her dry food brand had changed since things (life in general) has changed for you over the last couple years.
No. the dry food I use is a relatively new product but she has been eating it for months.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

No. the dry food I use is a relatively new product but she has been eating it for months.
2-3 months for the new food? If so likely that is the clump causer as the hair coat from the old is coming out completely ... That with the change in temps would do it for many cats...

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

2-3 months for the new food? If so likely that is the clump causer as the hair coat from the old is coming out completely ... That with the change in temps would do it for many cats...
Thanks. Do they bother her?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Likely she is ichy so if you can get them out do

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the hair clumps (matts) under the legs it can be painful. As the matts gets tighter it can pull when she would stretch.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mats pull skin even if kitty is lying still. If you hand split them you will get a very close view of what even a "clump" can do to the skin underneath. As you pull the fur apart you will be amazed to see how far across the body that fur comes from, which means all that skin is pulled.

Cats hide pain, and most will never let on that mats hurt. But they do, mats and hair clumps both pull and twist the skin, and that hurts.

So please do either gently pull them apart with your fingers, then comb them out, or cut them off her, and of course, keep her groomed.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cleo gets little mats in her hind quarter fur, sort of where her hips are. I comb her every single day (sometimes for hours...she begs for it!) These baby mats are about the size of a pencil eraser, but the comb catches them, and usually pulls them out, or at least identifies them so I can pull them apart, and comb them out. Cleo's are year round, but she's a long hair, and I think hers have something to do with her undercoat.

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have good news! I followed the things you told me. Tonight, I pulled apart the clumps by hand. not one complaint from Butzie but then again the vet. loves her, So easy. So I unclumped them all & she purred. Tomorrow I am going to give her a good brushing. Figured that the the separating the fur was enough for tonight. Thanks again.

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a wonderful cat, Not only did Butzie let me separate her clumps by hand but she loved me combing her, We are almost clump free! Just 2 left. She's such an easy kitty.