Funny Litter Box Issue

dianamc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We think one of Miss Dandy's foods may be causing some issues. At 6 mos., she usually covers her "business" but lately she's made some fairly large stinky piles that she doesn't cover. The box is by the outside door and she had recently finished one when my husband came back in the house.  He told her to get back in there and cover that and then he left again. The next thing I knew she was  in the box covering it! Now I wonder how much English she understands.

My other cat never covered so anything is ok.

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Funny, kind of. I think Ritz knows what "a woman's work is never done" more so than her name "Ritz".
Ritz almost always covers her poop/stool, but only occasionally covers her pee/urine. And she usually stands peeing up.
If the problem is that her poop/stool smells, it could be an allergy to a food ingredient or possibly worms. What is the consistency?
If the urine smells, it *may* be because she hadn't peed in a long time, so the urine is more concentrated. At least, that is what my vet answered when I asked him why Ritz' pee sometimes smells. (She is prone to stress-induced UTIs, so I am always conscious of the amount and smell of her urine.) Given Ritz' history, I'd be more concerned if her pee stinks than if her poop stinks.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dianamc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
After reading the thread about the cats who pee standing up, we had a serious discussion as in "Don't ever start doing that!"

Right now at a member's suggestion, I'm feeding Dandy one food for a couple of days to try to find what's causing her some issues. This should pin down whatever's affecting her poop, although it's not diarrhea.  She had ear mites when we got her and was dosed 2x with Advantage Multi so she shouldn't have worms (her fecal was okay too). The stinky poo culprit may be Hound & Gatos Lamb, Chicken & Salmon since she's eaten a whole can of it now.  She will usually cover when she eats her Wellness Kitten.  We still have to try one of the FF varieties to see if it's causing problems.  Her urine's okay.

My last cat had urinary tract issues that vets seemed to miss so I know what strong urine smells like.  She peed a lot though (and I know I mentioned that at vet visits).

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sound like you have a plan and things are kind of under control.

Keep us updated.