Fungal Infection? Mites?

Boulevard Cats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi All,
First post here, not the last as I'm a cat guy with (currently) six cats and a dog in an 800-square foot home. Looking forward to conversing with many of you.

This is concerning one of my gray cats. She is 10-12 (not certain, she just showed up in our yard one day and never left), and has has no history of illness or anything else until this.

We've been feeding our cats a high-quality, grain-free diet for a few years now. They also eat the Friskies soft food in the can.

She began to get small scabs on her, mostly on her neck, head, ears and back. We've been combing the loose stuff off of her, but it doesn't seem to want to go away. I've tried Neem Oil, Veterinary Formula Antiseptic & Antifungal spray, plus have given her two baths (OK, more of like a 'pour water over her' shower) but I cannot seem to figure out what is going on.

Now, we DID take her to the vet (frankly, her very first visit to the doctor) and after blood test, skin scrapes(2), and a 30-day test for ringworms(negative) they don't know exactly what is going on.

They did find some teeth that needed to be extracted - and indicated that she was very likely in pain due to that. We did have those teeth extracted.

However, the original scabbing and hair loss issue is still the problem.

Can anyone point me in the right direction, or have experience with what could be causing this?

Thanks in advance,
BC

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Boulevard Cats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I forgot to mention - ALL of our cats are INDOOR CATS. They do not go outside for any reason.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi and Welcome! How long has this been going on? Does she scratch the area - is that what is causing the scabbing, as if she is itchy, perhaps? With her teeth issue being resolved, is she eating/drinking/using the litter box normally?

I wouldn't think a fungal infection or mites would be the issue, as in most cases either would have more than likely spread to the other cats. I would guess this could be environmental or food related. I know you said your cats have been on the same food for years, but that is no guarantee that she (her name?) hasn't now become allergic to one or more ingredients in the food she is eating. You could ask the vet about doing a food allergy test looking for a reaction to the primary ingredients in those foods (e.g.; chicken, fish, etc.).

The other thing to consider is the environmental aspect - changes in detergent/cleaning products, perfumes, carpeting/cloth furniture, cat toys/beddings, litter types, etc.? Any changes of this nature that might have happened around the time she started to develop the scabbing?

In the meantime, you could consider using chamomile tea to help with the scabbing and itchiness (assuming she is itchy). Buy plain chamomile tea bags from the grocery store which are German (not English which can be toxic to cats); ensure there are no additives/flavorings. Brew a tea bag in water, cool the liquid, and then moisten cotton balls/soft cloth with the liquid and dab it on the affected areas. The tea has both soothing and healing properties. This can be done multiple times a day, and is safe for her to lick. It's not really a cure, but it might help while you continue to search for a resolution.

Boulevard Cats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi FeebysOwner,
The cats name is Felina, and we've purchased some different soft food for her for the next few days. The scabbing started around September/October.

She is eating fine, a little more than normal if anything, and drinking fine. She's been a little sketchy with the litter box, but when it's breakfast or dinner time she's normally using the box then.

We've been trying apple cider vinegar on a damp cloth as well. Not sure if that is doing anything, but I did read that ACV is safe and beneficial to cats.

Will take a look in the store for the tea, thanks for the suggestion.

Boulevard Cats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,
Just in case there's any questions about what type of cat she is, Felina is a gray cat very similar to the one I have as my avatar - short hair pixiebob.

Here is a picture of what came off of a blanket that she was laying on.

Can anyone help me? Vet is still grasping as to an idea of what this is or could be.

Could this be folliculitis? And if so, how to treat this at home?

Lost and hopeful,
Erich

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I know you said the vet did skin scrapings - for what, may I ask? Did it include a fungal/bacterial culture and sensitivity, and/or a cytological exam which is an evaluation of cells from the affected area? The vet can also do a patch test to expose the skin to multiple “allergens” (starting off by using a list of common substances which can cause allergies) and the skin is then evaluated for redness/swelling to a particular allergen.

Folliculitis is mostly a secondary infection due to something like feline acne, allergic dermatitis (from things like plants, food, chemicals, soaps, and detergents), mites, metabolic disorders, or even a flea bite allergy - where the skin has become infected or inflamed from itching/scratching . Many times antibiotics are needed to treat folliculitis, but that still does not resolve the primary problem. Given that metabolic disorders can be one of the possible causes, was a Chemistry Profile and thyroid test included in the blood work? At her age, especially with no previous check ups, a full senior blood panel is pretty common even in a cat that is not having issues.

I think you should consider finding - or asking your vet for a reference to - a vet that specializes in dermatology, since your vet cannot seem to get to the bottom of the problem on their own. I don't think you are going to be able to solve it by yourself.

Boulevard Cats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi again. I have a call in to the vet and waiting for a call back to verify the test results and what was done.

In the meantime, I guess the thing that would help ME the most is...do I continue to brush and comb her in an effort to assist her with grooming - or is this detrimental and possibly making her condition worse?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Until you can get a better feel for what this might be, I am wondering about the brushing/combing if what you are doing is removing scabs on only partially healed places - as in retarding the healing process. If you can brush her without doing that, it probably isn't harming anything. However, I would ask the vet about this when you get your call back. I would also ask them about the ACV and see if there is something more helpful that they could prescribe for you to use.