Fun & Supportive Thread For Single-cat Households Only

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Growing up my family almost always had a cat. Just one. We never even considered having more than one, so single cat households seem purrfectly normal to me.

So when I decided it was time to adopt my own first cat, I was only looking for one cat. An orange one, actually. And Ruby ended up being the lucky one. :lovecat2:

As it turned out, Ruby has a sensitive digestive system, so having only one cat makes it easier to watch what she eats, as well as what she deposits in the litter box.

Do any of you vocalize more with your cats, and find that they "talk" with you more, too? To me, single cats seem really bonded with their humans, for the most part.
Yes!!! Ruby and I have several "conversations" a day. Sometimes I speak English, and she replies in Cat. But other times I "meow" at her, and she meows back at me. :catman: And that will go on for a while.

And at meal time, she meows non stop until I put her dish down in front of her. Other times, like when I'm on the computer, she'll walk past the room, and simply meow a greeting, I guess. And sometimes she meows and meows and I never figure out what she's trying to tell me.

Here's a couple pics of Ruby.

This is the day I brought her home. (2014)

...gotcha2.jpg

And this is a more recent one (2018)
IMG_7700.jpg

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Jamie, our first singleton, was extremely vocal - and so loud the neighbors could hear him. He loved to be talked to and would pat my lips when he was in the mood for a conversation.

Mowgli, on the other hand, didn't even meow out loud for several weeks after we got him, and even now he's only vocal when it comes to food. We don't need to set an alarm to get up in the morning. He does a lot of purring, though. He's the type of cat that'll run back and forth to get you to follow him to wherever he wants you, or get up in your face when he wants to be petted, but he's quiet in comparison to Jamie.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
SO...Hekitty rules my house with an iron paw, and is an singleton because

Highlander Kitteh.png

She has no issues when the odd dog comes over, considering them lesser creatures and beneath her notice. Another cat, however, gives new meaning to the phrase, "hissy fit."

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, yes, Missy is very talkative and we always have long dialogues.
As soon as I come home from work she starts talking to me; loud meows to greet me and to ask for food and softer meows to draw my attention on something.
Missy rarely purrs; she does when I take her into my arms to have a look at the chickens in the garden through the back door window. The cutest noise she makes is something that sounds like "roo-roo', when she seems to be really satisfied and content.
Fortunately Missy is very quiet during the night; she will never wake me up in normal circumstances, unless I sleep late on days off and during weekends. To wake me up, she makes a soft squeaky sound. Very cute !

This is the sound (meow and trilling) Missy makes when she's hungry

Alpha, The stray boy that visits us daily, is also a talker, but his voice is much more hoarse than Missy's.
She’s beautiful. Love her tail!

Fish Em

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We had one dog growing up and then when I got older had one cat. It seemed just great. I never wanted any more because it seemed like too much work, time and money(for my parents mAinly) and kittens made me so nervous (they still do).

When I got married, we adopted a "single child" cat who reportedly could not handle other cats and she was the only child for almost 5 years until We took a bold move in getting another cat.