Full time rv and ethical breeding

Lots of questions

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My husband and I are in the process of two major events in our lives. My desire to breed (ethically) a specific breed of cat and our desire to fulltime rv. We currently own our home in northern Canada and will be traveling south every winter for 6-7 months. Our rv is large enough for us easily house 3-4 cats. We have 2 breeding cats (that are not old
Enough yet) and 1 pet cat. Our plan is to have a large tall pen in one of the slide (removing the loveseat as we don’t use it) and rotating the male/female in the pen. Once we are set up in Florida (or back up here during the summer), we will have a secure catio outdoors, as well as a leash/halter line. At this point our male does not spray. We will have a small playpen in the bedroom for when the mama has kittens. We also will have appropriate vet etc in both locations. What I am wondering is, has anyone else done this? What suggestions or cautions do you have?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The main thing I can think of is that the odor of a whole male may be overwhelming in a space that size even if he doesn't spray. Also I'd think that keeping the male and female apart when you don't want them to breed would be difficult.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't recommend it, your male will start spraying, possibly the female too. It will be tricky to time breedings as there's no guarantee she will get pregnant and you won't want her having kittens while on the road. In fact, the kittens shouldn't be out on the road at all but in a set location until weaned at 12-14 weeks old. I'd honestly just choose between RVing or being a breeder. Both would be too hard on your cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lots of questions

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The main thing I can think of is that the odor of a whole male may be overwhelming in a space that size even if he doesn't spray. Also I'd think that keeping the male and female apart when you don't want them to breed would be difficult.

Lots of questions

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok I hear what people are saying. And those are concerns we have considered. The spraying one is a concern, as is the smell aspect. Those are two things we will have to deal with once they arise. We have plans for both. The comment about the kittens shouldn’t be out, doesn’t apply here. The RV is our home. So it would be no different than them being in room in our house. The only stressful time that cats will have to deal with are travel days, which will occur twice a year. We will set up in both Florida and our home location in Canada for 6 months. I’m not necessarily asking whether people think it’s a good idea or not; but If you have experience with this. And if so; what are your experiences.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think many have experience with that to be honest. Most have a cattery. Some momma cats can have 6-10 kittens, how big is your rv? Can it handle that amount of kitten energy? lol. And that many litter boxes? With 3 cats and kittens you'd need at least 6 litter boxes. It would get pretty ripe in the summer LOL. But if you have plans and both breeding cats have been genetically tests for health issues then that's great :)

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I suppose it wouldn't be much different than a small house/apartment. And I've never bred cats or lived in an RV.

But I have raised kittens, and I have kept an intact male for a few months, and I have tried to keep intact males and females apart, and I think those will be your biggest issues. Those are all hard enough in a house.

Breeding toms and queens can't just be kept together all the time, or the female will be constantly pregnant/nursing, and that's just not healthy for her.

Lots of questions

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our plan is to have 3-4 distinct areas. We will be utilizing a large kennel within the trailer, one outside the trailer, as well as a run (leashed) and nursery area in a separate bedroom, and finally free within the trailer. Our pet will have freedom as he is neutered and gets along with both cats (he won’t have access to the nursery). The other two will be rotated between these different areas. We both work from home, so we will be there 95% of the time. They won’t be “together” in the sense they can access each other, but they will be in the same room, with a locked door between them. I hope this makes sense.