Full Anal Glands... Should I Be Worried?

trisha422

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just came back from the vet and the doc said my baby girl's anal glands were extremely full and he drained a ton.

I'm concerned as to why this is happening and why the glands are not expressing themselves.
Is this a symptom of a bigger issue or could lead to a big issue?
I've had cats all my life and never come across this issue.
Doctor didn't seem too concerned and said just keep an eye on her and if she shows discomfort in her bottom.
Any advice or knowledge greatly appreciated!

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Probably the ducts are stuck and therefore not expressing naturally as it should. It could be that it just happen to some cats.

Maybe some with more insight to this may have a better answer :wink:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Anal glands are normally expressed as the cat poops. In some cats it doesn't happen very well so the cat needs a little help to get the secretions out. You can express the glands yourself at home so you don't have to pay the vet $$ to do it. The vet can show you how to do this. There are videos on Youtube and many web articles on how to do this as well. It's a messy and smelly job so I suggest doing it in the bathroom with the door closed, have old towels or paper towels handy to clean up the cat and any goo that shoots out, and don't wear your good clothes. Express the glands anytime you start to smell a horrible smell coming from your cat's butt or see your cat scooting her butt on the floor or leaving small wet spots of horrible stinky stuff wherever she sits or lies on. I have to do my Aby's glands every few weeks. Some cats may need it done more frequently.

Sometimes the glands get impacted or even infected. The vet would have to remove any secretions and probably put the cat on antibiotics. I think there might be a surgery to remove the glands if frequent infections are a problem.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trisha422

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Anal glands are normally expressed as the cat poops. In some cats it doesn't happen very well so the cat needs a little help to get the secretions out. You can express the glands yourself at home so you don't have to pay the vet $$ to do it. The vet can show you how to do this. There are videos on Youtube and many web articles on how to do this as well. It's a messy and smelly job so I suggest doing it in the bathroom with the door closed, have old towels or paper towels handy to clean up the cat and any goo that shoots out, and don't wear your good clothes. Express the glands anytime you start to smell a horrible smell coming from your cat's butt or see your cat scooting her butt on the floor or leaving small wet spots of horrible stinky stuff wherever she sits or lies on. I have to do my Aby's glands every few weeks. Some cats may need it done more frequently.

Sometimes the glands get impacted or even infected. The vet would have to remove any secretions and probably put the cat on antibiotics. I think there might be a surgery to remove the glands if frequent infections are a problem.
Thank you. I was worried it was because of her diet or that she's overweight. I didn't see either one of those associated with clogged anal glands when I researched online.
This girl is so stubborn. She won't even let me clip her nails, which is why she had a vet visit..
I mentioned that she draggs her butt frequently, so Doc checked her glands.
I also read that puree pumpkin can help.
I hope this doesn't happen frequently. Breaks my heart anytime my baby is uncomfortable.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trisha422

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Probably the ducts are stuck and therefore not expressing naturally as it should. It could be that it just happen to some cats.

Maybe some with more insight to this may have a better answer :wink:
I hope it doesn't happen to my poor baby frequently.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Some people think it's diet or weight related but every cat is different. My Aby eats raw and is a skinny 10 lbs. When his glands get super stinky, it's time to express them.

You can ask the vet about adding fiber to your cat's diet. Sometimes that helps.

Gizmobius

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My previous cat Willow had this. Unfortunately for her, as she was indoor/outdoor at the time, I hadn't noticed any strange behavior from her that would clue me in that she had an issue and she ended up with an impacted gland that turned into an abscess. After that she ended up needing her glands expressed, which was something I couldn't do (didn't have the stomach for it!) so I just took her to the vet each time. I guess it's relatively rare in cats for them to need them expressed! As your vet said, just keep a close eye on it!

cat princesses

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I had a cat who needed to be taken in every other month to have her anal glands expressed - sometimes they just need this - it's a really gross procedure, I'd gladly pay for someone else to deal with that. LOL I wouldn't worry about it. If you start to see your cat scooting on the floor then that's usually a trigger that they are full however I wouldn't wait for that. I'd take kitty in monthly for awhile and see what they say, if after afew times it seems like less, they might say only come in every other month etc etc.

kttn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
my cat has to eat 1/4th teaspoon of flax seed meal with every feeding, it helps firm up her stools so she does it herself. my vet didn't seem concerned either. pumpkin would work too.