Fuel prices in your area

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess I shouldn't complain about fuel prices when I see that Italians are paying $7.65 per gallon. Currently I'm paying about $3.94 for 91 octane, Premium Fuel.
How can you afford to fill up your car at those prices? My travel would be severely restricted.

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Would your travel severely restricted at $7.65 or even at $3.94?
Having two cars, one requiring 91 octane, the other taking 87 octane @ $3.16/ gallon. I have reduced my driving to somewhat extent.

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most other countries have public transit, a much smaller area, and more fuel-efficient cars.
There's no public transportation as such were I live. You have a car or you don't go anywhere.

allmykitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Posted price $3.43/gallon (calculator I found puts that at 3.02 euro/gallon, which I think comes out to around .80/liter).

However, I only buy at the gas station connected to the grocery store which offers points ($1 groceries = 1 point, 100 points = $0.10/gallon off, maxed at 1000 points or $1.00/gallon off -- this resets every month). I usually do my card one week, and my son's the rest of the month (since I wfh and he commutes), so I don't pay the posted price.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Having two cars, one requiring 91 octane, the other taking 87 octane @ $3.16/ gallon. I have reduced my driving to somewhat extent.
Over here all gasoline cars have only one type of octane.
We have usually shorter distances to drive and cars with smaller engines.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There's no public transportation as such were I live. You have a car or you don't go anywhere.
That's pretty standard for the US, yes. Except for the largest cities. That's why I said "other countries", lol. But I amended it to Europe, because African countries are mostly huge and the rural areas don't have mass transit. But their gas prices tend to be cheaper. Australia is big and mostly rural too.

I think it was $2.96 a gallon the last time I filled up at the Costco station.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most countries in Europe have public transit, a much smaller area, and more fuel-efficient cars.
I don't know if it's true, but the average salaries here could be lower than in the US, so higher fuel prices have a different impact on our pockets.

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most other countries have public transit, a much smaller area, and more fuel-efficient cars.
Over here all gasoline cars have only one type of octane.
We have usually shorter distances to drive and cars with smaller engines.
Antonio, Back in the late 1980's I lived in Napoli for almost 3 yrs. I drove a 1985 Fiat Uno, 1.1 liter. Fortunately back then I fuel was cheaper plus I was able to purchase Agip fuel coupons at a reduced price.

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know if it's true, but the average salaries here could be lower than in the US, so higher fuel prices have a different impact on our pockets.
Both of my car have AWD, which hurts mileage a little. My wife prefers driving the Outback especially if the weather is very cold, like now. As the Outback has a heated Steering wheel. My Q5 overall gets better mileage and has a better ride but doesn't have all the bells and whistles like the Outback.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Antonio, Back in the late 1980's I lived in Napoli for almost 3 yrs. I drove a 1985 Fiat Uno, 1.1 liter. Fortunately back then I fuel was cheaper plus I was able to purchase Agip fuel coupons at a reduced price.
Napoli/Naples?
You're brave 🤣
And how did you like it? Never been there, and I wouldn't like to go.

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Napoli/Naples?
You're brave 🤣
And how did you like it? Never been there, and I wouldn't like to go.
I didn't have alot of choice. Military orders sent me there. I had a fun time , more than most as my boss was in London. I shared a assigned Fiat TDI van , so most of my local business was at Government expense.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad of having you in my country for three years. I hope you have good memories of that time. I was about 20 years old.

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad of having you in my country for three years. I hope you have good memories of that time. I was about 20 years old.
Of my several work assignments. Napoli was probably the best. As I didn't have much interference doing my job. It was a great experience. I never got up your way. Rome several times, Once to these places: Firenze, Venezia Brindisi, Pisa, Salerno. A couple times to Capri & Sellia Marina near Catanzaro, Palermo, Messina, Catania & twice to. Lampedusa

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's amazing that you still remember all those place names. And with the Italian names. You surely had a good time.
Of all the names you mentioned, I only visited Pisa and Firenze.

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's amazing that you still remember all those place names. And with the Italian names. You surely had a good time.
Of all the names you mentioned, I only visited Pisa and Firenze.
I Fortunately was able to visit more than just italy during my time there. I took a euro rail trip for 21 days. Went from Napoli to Roma, Munich,Berlin. Dusseldorf, Brussels, Rotterdam , Paris, Luxembourg City, Koln, tour on the Rhine, Mainz, Frankfurt, Geneva, Bregenz, Lichtenstein, Innsbruck the back to Napoli. Saw London a few times on business. Had business in Estartit, Spain so was able to visit Barcelona.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Been in Rome, Brussels, Koln, Meinz, Geneva and London among the ones you mentioned.
Paris and Frankfurt only as stopovers on longer flights.