Frustrated, going through the ringer!

jamesharvey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I feel I need to add some of the story behind this cat so you can understand my Frustration!

We adopted a 14-year-old cat a few months ago, the owner was going to put her down if they did not find a good home. My wife talked me in going to see the cat, her name is Willow, she was in really bad shape, hair loss, full of scabs, flea infested and skin and bones. When we left my wife asked me my thoughts. I replied that cat is dead, no one in their right mind would take that cat, for starters she is going to need to see a vet right away and it is going to cost at least $500 and that is if the cat survives. My wife was in love with this cat, so we went back the next day for the cat and straight to the vet we went. When we got her home she attached to me and not my wife, this cat fell in love with me. Willow would follow me around the house and never leave my side, set at the door waiting for me to come home and Merow nonstop for me when she heard me outside, when I get out of the bed in the morning she was right behind me. She did attacked our other two cats, causing some problems. Then one morning she went into heat! Seriously the previous owner never got her fixed, WOW! So we took her back to the vet and because of her age this cost a lot more, not to mention we had to have a few teeth pulled and a deep cleaning on her teeth.
Now is when my problem really started.
I noticed Willow was drinking a lot of water, peed a lot and would eat a lot of food.
Concerned over the possibility of a kidney problem I took her into the vet.
They checked her blood and said she has diabetes she would need to stay over night to do test to see the amount of insulin we would need to give her every day.

The next day I went to pick her up and the doctor said your going to have to give her a shot a day and she can only eat a certain kind of food with a prescription, so I went straight to get her prescription food and insulin.
I noticed right away Willow was not herself and called the doctor office for advise, they said she was most likely low blood sugar and advised what syrup to give her. About a week goes by and I felt she was getting worst, weak, Lethargic, depressed and no longer followed me.
I called the doctors office again. Same advise given. I started to read online about this disease to try to get some insight and warring sings. I ordered a blood test kit and had it next day. On Saturday I stopped given her the shot and went back to her normal food. She is not acting right and there is clearly something wrong. The kit came Saturday afternoon. I checked her blood and she was a 380 according the the tester, she should be around 100.
I went ahead and gave her the shot and her blood went down to 340 with this tester. I did not sleep all night, Willow did not come to sleep with me and I knew something was wrong. The next morning at 6 AM I got up to check on her, she had peed in front of her litter box, she would not eat and vomited a few times, was downstairs.
I rushed her to the vet, they said she is in bad shape, dehydrated, blood suger was 411. My tester showed her at 280, so clearly the tester is not working right.
The doctor said they need to keep her all day to run test. I get a call she is going to have to stay the night. This morning I call the doctor she said Willow now has other problems her ketones levels are to the point she could die. They will need to keep her today for treatment to try and get this down. At 4:30 today the doctor called and said I should pick Willow up and take her to an emergency hospital where they can keep the treatment going all night and keep an eye on her because if not she could die over night. Then pick her up tomorrow and take her back to the my normal vet for more treatment. I did as advised and here I am, frustrated as heck!
The doctor never advised me in the beginning of the risk of starting the insulin, nor what to look out for in the event of problems. I'm not even going to get into the cost or what I spent so far, to give you an ideal the emergency overnight stay estimated or tonight was $775 paid in advance.
I feel like I caused this whole problem by taking her in the the peeing problem. Yes she has this disease, yet she was happy and alive, now she is fighting for her life and may still die sooner then later.

SeventhHeaven

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So sorry this is happening to YOU!  OMG Willow has turned into a million dollar cat!

someone will offer good advice shortly...,,   fingers crossed for Willow 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jamesharvey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So sorry this is happening to YOU!  OMG Willow has turned into a million dollar cat!

someone will offer good advice shortly...,,   fingers crossed for Willow :cross:  
Good morning,

Thank you,
My wife is leaving now to pick her up and take her to our vet, they said she stabilized last night. Some good news!

I feel there are two kinds of people who own pets, ones who if the cost hits their limit they decide sorry buddy your taking that long nap in the sky,
then their our people who are like myself. The pet is a family member by where we would don't even think about the cost that it will take to save their life regardless if it is only for a short time. We have a connection on a different level with our pets.
I feel this form of full of folks like myself!
We are not crazy, these pets our family!

jolie0216

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Good morning,

Thank you,
My wife is leaving now to pick her up and take her to our vet, they said she stabilized last night. Some good news!

I feel there are two kinds of people who own pets, ones who if the cost hits their limit they decide sorry buddy your taking that long nap in the sky,
then their our people who are like myself. The pet is a family member by where we would don't even think about the cost that it will take to save their life regardless if it is only for a short time. We have a connection on a different level with our pets.
I feel this form of full of folks like myself!
We are not crazy, these pets our family!
Bless you for helping poor Willow - sounds like her previous owner certainly did not care for her properly.  I'm amazed they dealt with a cat in heat for all those years, notwithstanding all of her other health problems!  That's unconscionable that she had not seen a vet prior to you & your wife taking her in....poor girl.   I don't have any experience with feline diabetes, I just wanted to say what angels you guys are for saving her life - and how sweet it is that she loves you so much 

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
I don't have any experience with diabetes other than what others have written here and online....that vet should have told you what to watch for and sent you home with a tester to make sure the sugar levels are in the range.

Thank you for taking the initiative and testing her blood. You probably saved her life. They probably have her on iv fluids to try to flush those ketones. Not sure what else to be done for this.  

My heart aches for you..keep us posted..We had another poster here who also had an elderly cat who did the insulin shots. I hope the more seasoned folks will chime in soon. Thank you so much for caring for her! She's a lucky cat!

ruthm

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My heart goes out to you and your wife--bless you both for taking such good care of Willow--she hit the jackpot with the both of you!!!!

How is Willow doing today?

You must not blame yourself, you are doing a great job with Willow.  My former kitty Tiger was a diabetic also; upon her diagnosis, she was very sick like your Willow and in fact needed to be hospitalized as well.  It is good to hear Willow could be transferred to your regular vet's hospital.  The IV fluids can help to flush out the ketones. Hopefully they are giving her lots of good food as well.  When the time comes for Willow to come home, i hope they will make sure to give you anti-nausea and appetite stimulants if needed.

May I ask which insulin your vet has prescribed?  My Tiger was on Lantus, but the shot needs to be given twice daily, 12 hours apart. My vet and vet techs taught me to give shots, but also to test her blood glucose at home. That is the best way to keep kitty safe and from going too low.   I got a human glucometer at WalMart, along with the test strips, Ketone strips, syringes and lancets.  It took some practice but we soon developed a pretty good routine. My girl got to liking the testing because she knew she would be getting a low carb treat afterward.  I also had a lot of help from the people at Feline Diabetes Membership Board, they were absolutely wonderful, giving support for other sugar kitties 24/7. I highly encourage you to check out FDMB and let them help you too.

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/feline-health-the-main-forum.28/