Fruitcake?

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know fruitcake is oft-maligned, but for those that like the stuff, what do you like to soak it with?

My personal preference is an orange liqueur, like Grand Marnier.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I could eat my weight in fruit cake, ditto plum pudding which is pretty hard to come by out here. A friend in Canada sends me fruitcake from an English recipe soaked in brandy and I try to make it last for months.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have soaked mine with dark rum for years and years.Nobody else in our family likes fruitcake but us,and that suits us just fine!Neither one of us are fans of brandy or whiskey...hadn't even thought of Grand Marnier....hmmmmm.I usually get mine made and baked the day after Thanksgiving,and start soaking the cheesecloth they're wrapped in that day.Vince,I will give that some thought!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just get little one-pound Claxton brand fruitcakes at my local meat market for a few dollars each (probably not any more, though). I soak some for gifts and always a few for myself.

I'm pleased to hear from others who like fruitcake. From what I hear and read, it would seem fruitcake is one of the most-reviled foods out there.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe they don't like the candied fruit...I don't know.My Grandma turned me on to fruitcake when I was a kid and I've loved it ever since....maybe it was the hard sauce she made to go with?

Java Lady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
when i was young I never really care for fruit cake but now I really enjoy it especially soaked in rum and aged
my mom made the best fruit cake , I do not care for a lot of ginger in it , a little is fine

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have had fruitcake that I like but not the run of the mill store bought fruitcake. I like the dense cake and nuts but most of the store bought cakes go way overboard with the candied fruit. There is a Trappist monastery in Kentucky that makes fruitcakes and sells them online and it is good. Of course being in Kentucky their fruitcakes are soaked in Bourbon. Bourbon is not at the top of my list for alcoholic drinks but their fruitcake is good.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have had fruitcake that I like but not the run of the mill store bought fruitcake.
Ditto. If it has those green candied. . .idk? Probably cherries? then it's probably not good. But I have had good fruitcake. I haven't had enough to develop a preference for what kind of alcohol to soak it in though. Grand Marnier sounds good, or an orange bourbon. Or coconut rum.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Orange bourbon sounds interesting. What brand is it?

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like fruitcake too, but a little bit goes a long way. I liked to soak them in rum and make hard sauce to put on top. The Grand Marnier sounds like a really good idea. Since I have diabetes, though, I can't eat it at all.

I don't know why people dislike it so much. It's pretty good.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Orange bourbon sounds interesting. What brand is it?
Jim Beam. They have orange and peach (and looking at their site, also apple, vanilla, honey, black cherry, and "fire" (cinnamon?). The place I was at only had the two flavors though). I haven't tried any except orange yet.

I don't drink much and have a low tolerance for the hard stuff but I once made bourbon chicken and accidentally discovered I really like bourbon for some reason, lol. It burns but the flavor is nice.

Last edited:

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Funny, I generally have Jim Beam bourbon around here to make Manhattans. One would think I'd notice when I'm buying liquor at the store. I'll have to ask. Maybe they have some in the racks behind the counter. The bottles go all the way to the ceiling. The number of them is a bit overwhelming.