Fructooligosaccharides??????

nanniecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
want to purchase a wet cat food N&D with
Fructooligosaccharides
in it? i did some research but still not clear? my cat is on long term prednilisone which can cause diabetes(i dont need another problem!) and isnt this a sugar sub?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's a non digestible sugar that is supposedly beneficial for the digestive tract health, sort of like a prebiotic. If you have concerns about it being it in food and possible affecting your cat, best to buy a food that doesn't contain it.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fructooligosaccharides, also known as FOS, are indigestible, do not affect blood sugar, and are included as a prebiotic--it feeds the beneficial bacteria in her gut. Looking at the N&D wet foods, I'm more concerned about herring as second ingredient in all their foods. Fish is more likely to be irritating than FOS. Fish protein is not an ideal protein for cats. It is a suspected allergen and a common trigger for IBD cats. It is also extremely popular with cats to the point that some cats may hold out for fish-flavored foods. I recommend saving fish flavored foods for disguising medicine or getting sick cats to eat again. Aside from those two exception uses, I do not recommend feeding fish regularly.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nanniecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Fructooligosaccharides, also known as FOS, are indigestible, do not affect blood sugar, and are included as a prebiotic--it feeds the beneficial bacteria in her gut. Looking at the N&D wet foods, I'm more concerned about herring as second ingredient in all their foods. Fish is more likely to be irritating than FOS. Fish protein is not an ideal protein for cats. It is a suspected allergen and a common trigger for IBD cats. It is also extremely popular with cats to the point that some cats may hold out for fish-flavored foods. I recommend saving fish flavored foods for disguising medicine or getting sick cats to eat again. Aside from those two exception uses, I do not recommend feeding fish regularly.
she has FGESF,on a hypoallergenic diet and the reason for the pred daily. it was the only food i could find that fit the criteria . it is 1/3 of can to put her visbiome capsule in! i am iffy abt the herring. we did purina duck for over a year but they changed the formula ad she wont eat it anymore. between the hurricane and the pandemic it is hard to find anything she can/will eat

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
she has FGESF,on a hypoallergenic diet and the reason for the pred daily. it was the only food i could find that fit the criteria . it is 1/3 of can to put her visbiome capsule in! i am iffy abt the herring. we did purina duck for over a year but they changed the formula ad she wont eat it anymore. between the hurricane and the pandemic it is hard to find anything she can/will eat
I'm not familiar with FGESF. But I sympathize having struggled with my Krista's IBD and eventually lymphoma over a number of years.

If you do want to try a different food (it's good not to be locked into a single food or brand in case of shortages or shutdowns), Rawz makes good clean simple recipes that are the gold standard for IBD/food allergy trials: mono-protein and truly limited ingredient. No suspect substitutions like another "LID" brand does e.g. pea protein, cranberries, and clay. Rawz will send you samples if you write them. Incredible Pets, one of their online resellers, sells by the can (as well as the case) making it easier to try a recipe without committing to a full case.

Have a look at the Rawz brand single protein pates. Krista enjoyed the turkey, rabbit, and duck flavors. The duck flavor was problematic with her. The turkey eventually became a problem as her IBD worsened. She spent her last year or so eating the rabbit. I don't recommend starting with rabbit because it's hard to find and subject to frequent shortages. I would go through all their online retailers and buy rabbit cases whenever I could find them to weather out those times I couldn't. The rabbit with pumpkin flavor is slightly easier to find and doesn't run out quite as frequently.
Wet Archives | RAWZ

Incredible Pets sells by the can making it easy to try without a case committment.
Search: 10 results found for "rawz cat"