Frothy patches in urine.

its tom the cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Tom is 12 years old and is being treated for hyperthyroidism. He takes Tapazole daily and his T4 number is good.. After his last check up the discovered early kidney changes so prescribed Aventix KS twice a day.

In the last two weeks I have noticed a bubbly/frothy cluster in his litter box right after he urinates. Looks like a blob of dishwashing bubbles.

I do not know if it is related to the Aventix as he has had no other changes in his diet. I also found that he is sometimes defecating twice in a day whereas it was once prior to taking this supplement. And the stool is pretty smelly.

Would appreciate any thoughts on this.

Thanks

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm sorry no one's replied to your question.  I've no experience with this, but I would definitely call the vet and talk with them.  It could be a side effect of the new meds.  If the change in odor of his stool is different, it's most likely the meds. 

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I am not familiar with Aventix KS and cannot find anything listing any possible side effects to know if what you are listing is common or not.  Have you run it past your Vet?  Since it contains probiotic, I'm a little surpirsed that it would results in stinky poops.  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

its tom the cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you. Aventix KS might be the Canadian name but I doubt it. I Googled it and found no mention of side effects. There is an email address and I contacted them. They were helpful and did not know of any side effects but suggested I either reduce the dose by half or stop it for 2 weeks and reintroduce it gradually.

I also found that it is sold at Amazon and there were over 75 comments regarding the product of which all but 2 were positive. The two which weren't claimed it had killed their cat.

My vet only works weekends which is frustrating although they have a full time staff in case of an emergency. It is also frustrating because they are my rabbit vet and only one vet knows rabbits. The rest seem to be afraid of them.

Anyway I can email the vet but she only gets the mail when she is on duty and she is prompt in replying. I had emailed her when he was drinking and urinating more frequently along with defecating twice daily unlike before. She has not yet responded to my concern about the frothy urine. Incidentally the frothy build up does not always occur. it has three times to my knowledge in the 2 weeks he has been on Aventix. Of course he does urinate in the garden and I cannot observe him. FYI my garden is totally enclosed and Tom is safe there as he cannot get out nor can he jump the fence.

As of today I have taken him off the supplement for a week anyway and will observe him.