Frontline Plus vs Revolution Plus

sailon

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Looking for feedback from anyone who might have used both and compare them for effectiveness and side effects. I used Revolution/Plus for several years on one of my cats and it worked well with no descernable side affects.

I read up on the differences between the two, what they protect against, but I have never used Frontline and wondered about the practical experience of other members.

One appeal of Frontline seems to be price and availability. Thanks....

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I haven't used either, but I do know that the Revolution Plus has only been on the US market for 2-3 years now and contains the most recently developed pesticide/IGR (insect growth regulator, which disrupts the development of flea eggs/larvae into adult fleas). It is part of the isoxazoline class of drugs that carry warnings of possible, but rare, neurological effects in both cats and dogs. It also is absorbed into the bloodstream, where as Frontline Plus works solely through the spread within the sebaceous glands. Frontline Plus does not contain any of the drugs within the isoxazoline class, but it does have an IGR in it (methoprene). Frontline Plus has been around for about 20 years in the US.

Of course all of these flea treatments carry various warnings about potential side effects but I am pretty sure neurological issues aren't one of the possibilities with Frontline Plus. It might be better to stick with Revolution (as opposed to the Plus version) in order to stay away from the isoxazoline pesticide, if you find that to be concerning to you.
Fact Sheet for Pet Owners and Veterinarians about Potential Adverse Events Associated with Isoxazoline Flea and Tick Products | FDA

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sailon

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I haven't used either, but I do know that the Revolution Plus has only been on the US market for 2-3 years now and contains the most recently developed pesticide/IGR (insect growth regulator, which disrupts the development of flea eggs/larvae into adult fleas). It is part of the isoxazoline class of drugs that carry warnings of possible, but rare, neurological effects in both cats and dogs. It also is absorbed into the bloodstream, where as Frontline Plus works solely through the spread within the sebaceous glands. Frontline Plus does not contain any of the drugs within the isoxazoline class, but it does have an IGR in it (methoprene). Frontline Plus has been around for about 20 years in the US.

Of course all of these flea treatments carry various warnings about potential side effects but I am pretty sure neurological issues aren't one of the possibilities with Frontline Plus. It might be better to stick with Revolution (as opposed to the Plus version) in order to stay away from the isoxazoline pesticide, if you find that to be concerning to you.
Fact Sheet for Pet Owners and Veterinarians about Potential Adverse Events Associated with Isoxazoline Flea and Tick Products | FDA
Thanks for the detailed feedback. Good info.