frontline plus for dogs

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
darg darg My vet gave me the large dog Advantage II and told me how to divide it up between my many cats. It’s exactly the same thing and the company charges you extra for the packaging and because they can.

That said, if you don’t know what’s in it, do not use dog stuff on cats. In fact, if you aren’t sure what’s in it, don’t use it, period.

darg

Gizmo
Alpha Cat
Purraise
darg darg My vet gave me the large dog Advantage II and told me how to divide it up between my many cats. It’s exactly the same thing and the company charges you extra for the packaging and because they can.

That said, if you don’t know what’s in it, do not use dog stuff on cats. In fact, if you aren’t sure what’s in it, don’t use it, period.
Nice that you have a vet interested in saving you some money. They seem to be scarce these days.

catman925

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Actually that's not true.

I work in cat rescue and to my knowledge:

The ONLY flea meds you can safely use the dog version on a cat are Revolution and Advantage. They are the exact same ingredients and even though the proportions are slightly different, the amount of active ingredient is exactly the same.

Both require a prescription but you can get the massive large dog package and split and treat a whole bunch of cats.

Dosages (both dog or cat versions):
Revolution:
Kittens under 8weeks - 0.013ml once/mo
Adult cats - 0.038ml once/mo
see for ref: Resources | Koret Shelter Medicine Program

Advantage:
We almost always use Revolution so I've forgotten the dosages, but here's a ref to a dosage chart: Advantage II for Cats Dosage | FleaScience

I don't know about using Frontline for dogs on cats just yet (currently looking into that).

But I do know:
Beyond Revolution and Advantage, NEVER USE FLEA MEDS FOR DOGS ON A CAT. You can quickly kill your buddy (like within hours). Especially don't try to do this with the non-prescription stuff, and especially especially NEVER use Hartz dog flea meds on your cat. That is a very sure way to kill or at least maim your cat really really quickly (usually overnight if you're lucky). In fact, I would advise don't use Hartz ever. That stuff is pure poison.

I know this post is old, but a Google search led me here, so I figured I should chime in for other visitors.

I'll try to remember to post if I get an answer on using Frontline for dogs on cats.
ok, so I'm now fairly comfortable with using Frontline for dogs on cats. The rescue I work with has used it before and I was able to find enough good references online that say it's safe.

General dosage I've seen so far: 0.5ml for adult cats. Do not use on kittens <8 wks.

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Advecta II for dogs. I use at no more than .09ml/cc per lb of cat.

SallyBrian's cat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello I have a question for you I have some advantage to and it is for the dogs and I do think it's the same ingredients but I did use a little bit on the back of her Nick and she started the phon foam so I quickly wiped it off and she cleared up any suggestions

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Put it high enough on the back of her head so she can't lick it. They add bitterants to the formula so they don't lick it too much and that's what causes the foaming/drooling.

When splitting a dog dose for cats, make SURE you use the appropriate amount and only the safe brands/formulations. Some dog flea products are fatal to cats.

darg

Gizmo
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hello I have a question for you I have some advantage to and it is for the dogs and I do think it's the same ingredients but I did use a little bit on the back of her Nick and she started the phon foam so I quickly wiped it off and she cleared up any suggestions
The Bayer Advantage II formula is the same for both dogs and cats. Same exact ingredients in same exact percentages. The difference is the dosage. I use the Advantage II on my cat and I purchase the packages labeled for large dogs. Been doing it for years and years. I use 0.8 mL (applied with an insulin syringe) which is the dose for cats 9 lbs. and over.

BUT ... Bayer has other products that are for Dogs and dogs only. As far as I know, ONLY the Advantage II ( and the older Advantage) are the same formula between the cat and dog labeled versions.

SallyBrian's cat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Put it high enough on the back of her head so she can't lick it. They add bitterants to the formula so they don't lick it too much and that's what causes the foaming/drooling.

When splitting a dog dose for cats, make SURE you use the appropriate amount and only the safe brands/formulations. Some dog flea products are fatal to cats.
Thank you so much for the reply. I want you to know also she really loves me to scratch her ears can you recommend something good for her ears I don't know maybe she needs some drops or something thanks again Brian

SallyBrian's cat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Attachments