frontline plus for dogs

amandad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think if the concentration of each of the ingredients is the same, then you can just measure out the amount that you need. I think they say "Don't use on cats." because probably someone, somewhere, at some point and time decided to use dog stuff on a cat and it probably made the cat very sick or it died as it overdosed the animal. There are natural ways to prevent fleas but I'm not sure what those ways are and how effective they are. 

Last edited:

jolie0216

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

Well for what it's worth, I successfully used the big dog Frontline on all 4 cats, and nobody had a bad reaction or anything.

It didn't kill the fleas all that great tho - I am in Ohio, and as someone above said, I guess the midwest fleas are kind of immune to Frontline........

I think it did lessen the fleas though.......I am also using Program on the cats too, to prevent flea breeding.  And now that winter is here, there shouldn't be any more fleas coming in from the outside, so that will help too.

I'm trying a more natural approach - I got some food grade diatomaceous earth, vacuumed all the carpeting, sprinkled on the DE and brushed it into the carpet with a broom.    Washed everyone's bedding and rubbed DE into that too.    I was going to rub some DE onto the cats, but I didn't - some folks said it would be OK, other folks said it would dry out their skin too much, so I didn't do it.      

I know there's a few fleas left on my guys, but I know it's not a large amount - hopefully I can just use a flea comb and the DE to catch the last of our stragglers...........having fleas sucks, for everyone!!   

meuzettesmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Fleas have a seven day cycle. Their eggs hatch then and you have a new crop of bugs to deal with. Spray with bug killer everyday until you can walk through your house with white socks on and your anckles don't get attacked.
That is what I did.
And outside.... The fleas can hibernate until a good hard freeze. They are out there...

rayne69

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
all my cats are on Revolution. Specifically for cats. I would not use the advantix multi that I use on my dog for them.  Rember this stuff is actually poision. 

amandad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The product label on the packaging for K9 Advantix II says not to use on cats. It has different ingredients and different concentrations than Advantage II for cats and dogs. 

MeuzettesMom Frontline has worked on my cat this summer. 

Last edited:

frommann

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I also have been using extra large size Frontline Plus for dogs and dividing it by using a syringe on my cats for years but noticed now on the newer boxes of Frontline it has a warning to not use on cats.  The ingredients are also not the same percentage on the dog and cat frontline plus. The first active ingredient is the same at 9.8% but the second active ingredient is 8.8% for dogs and 11.8% for cats. I was just concerned if that is a big deal or not. Thanks, Denise

frommann

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A vet is actually the one who told me about using the extra large dog size frontline plus or Advantage and gave me the correct amounts to use. This was years ago when I had 8 stray cats...

amandad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

A vet is actually the one who told me about using the extra large dog size frontline plus or Advantage and gave me the correct amounts to use. This was years ago when I had 8 stray cats...
Yep! You can do this. As stated previously in the thread. This is actually how BCR tries to prevent fleas on the Big Cats at their rescue. :) 

michelledobson

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
actually front line plus for dogs is safe for cats in the PROPER dosage. So is advantage. BUT NOT ADVANTIX

michelledobson

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
the problem I see here is that my vet said that the shelf life after opening the container is only a month. I haven't researched it beyond my vet.

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey! Just saw this post and I just wanted to say that as a small rescue this trick has been a HUGE money saver. I have successfully been using Frontline on my fosters for over a year and not had any issues! It works great on the fleas! Just remember to spray furniture and carpet with flea spray!

happytobeheere

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i looked on line and found that the chemicals in the dog and cat frontline are the same except that the cat stuff has 35% more of the stuff that prevents the flea larvae from hatching. i am wrestling with the same question. it only goes to figure that the same amount would be sufficient. HOWEVER, i am going to put a smaller dose on my babies, better safe than sorry; and apply accordingly. you can tell when it is wearing off. DO NOT use the frontline with the tick killer in it or you will kill your cat. when i go to the vet to get it, i will, of course ask them. you know how vets are though. they never want to give free advice.
This statment throws me off balance ""DO NOT use the frontline with the tick killer in it or you will kill your cat"" . I purchased the Frontline Plus for dogs 89 to 132lbs. The only active ingredients are Fipronil 9.8% / (S)-methoprene 8.8% Other ingredients 81.4% . The package list the usual as descused earlier Do not use on cats labeling. But also list ""Kills ticks,including those that transmit Lyme disease"" But the ingredients doesn't list any other ingredients other than the 2 only active ingredients in regular Frontline Plus. Does anyone know if the statment if it kills ticks it will kill a cat, have any merit with the Frontline Plus I've purchased even though it doesnt mention other special ingredient to kill ticks ?
Thanks a ton in advance for any and all advice . I love my fur baby's and would die if I harmed any of them

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have used Frontline for dogs, on my cats. With no adverse effects. BUT, just like a person being allergic to a medication, a cat can be allergic too.
My cats have no problems with Frontline for cats, or dogs being used on them.
However, the dosage is a bit "tricky" with Frontline.
The CAT dosage on the box is 1.5ml for a cat over 1.5lbs. Which, leads me to believe 1.5ml is safe for a kitten. BUT, that small of a dose might not work so well for a 10lb cat. (and you do here a lot about Frontline not working and being blamed on flea immunity). I think it's more of the super safe tiny dosage on a big cat that makes it not work very well.

I dose my 10lb cats with 2.5ml Frontline for dogs. Which, I feel is still way too small of a dose for a 10lb cat, but, better way safe than a little sorry.

THAT is what I used to do, and for a few years with no problems.
NOW, I used Advecta II for dogs. It's considerably cheaper, cats no longer go into tick territory and if you're worried about ticks, Frontline is false security. And I feel Advantage II and Advecta II are far better for fleas. AND...Their dosage instructions actually make sense.

If you go by the weight/dosage on the "cat" package. You basically come up with .1ml per lb, minus .1 (5lb cat .4ml, 10lb cat .9ml, 15lb cat 1.4ml, etc).
I deduct .1ml or more just be safe.

Advecta II for dogs, the dosage I use.
10lb cat .8ml
22lb cat 1.6ml
7lb cat .5ml
If you go by the dosage on the packages, this is still a ML or two shy of acceptable dosages.

What NOT to use on a cat? Do not use Advecta 3 for dogs or Advantix.

IF ticks are the problem. The ONLY thing that you should consider should be a Seresto Collar.

Last edited:

catman925

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Frontline is the only one you can do this with. But I do it all the time. Its the dosage you have to get advise on. I use a suringe to messure is out.
Actually that's not true.

I work in cat rescue and to my knowledge:

The ONLY flea meds you can safely use the dog version on a cat are Revolution and Advantage. They are the exact same ingredients and even though the proportions are slightly different, the amount of active ingredient is exactly the same.

Both require a prescription but you can get the massive large dog package and split and treat a whole bunch of cats.

Dosages (both dog or cat versions):
Revolution:
Kittens under 8weeks - 0.013ml once/mo
Adult cats - 0.038ml once/mo
see for ref: Resources | Koret Shelter Medicine Program

Advantage:
We almost always use Revolution so I've forgotten the dosages, but here's a ref to a dosage chart: Advantage II for Cats Dosage | FleaScience

I don't know about using Frontline for dogs on cats just yet (currently looking into that).

But I do know:
Beyond Revolution and Advantage, NEVER USE FLEA MEDS FOR DOGS ON A CAT. You can quickly kill your buddy (like within hours). Especially don't try to do this with the non-prescription stuff, and especially especially NEVER use Hartz dog flea meds on your cat. That is a very sure way to kill or at least maim your cat really really quickly (usually overnight if you're lucky). In fact, I would advise don't use Hartz ever. That stuff is pure poison.

I know this post is old, but a Google search led me here, so I figured I should chime in for other visitors.

I'll try to remember to post if I get an answer on using Frontline for dogs on cats.

catman925

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
the problem I see here is that my vet said that the shelf life after opening the container is only a month. I haven't researched it beyond my vet.
If you have extra left over, store it in a water tight container in a dry location AWAY from sunlight. I don't know how long it's good for. I just know that's how it needs to be stored.

darg

Gizmo
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just to add to an already revived, older thread ...

I buy the Advantage II for large dogs and use it on my cat. The active ingredients between the Advantage II for dogs and cats is exactly the same in the exact same percentage. The difference is in the amount that is applied based on the type and size of the animal. I empty a tube of the large dog Advantage into a small, dark glass vial with a rubber stopper and screw cap and that's how I store it. My cat is over 9 lbs. and the dose for cats 9 lbs. and over is 0.8 ml (cc). I use an insulin syringe to draw 0.8 ml (cc) of Advantage II from the glass vial and apply it to the cat. I have done this for longer than I can remember. In my experience, the Advantage does not lose effectiveness being stored in the sealed, dark glass vial and it's far more economical. The dose for large dogs (over 55 lbs.) is 4.0 ml (cc). One large dog tube of Advantage provides 5 doses for a cat 9 lb. or larger.

This may be just my opinion but Bayer has a racket going by charging virtually the same amount of money for the largest Dog packs of Advantage as they do the product for kittens. It's not that I cannot afford to pay 43 bucks for a 4 month supply of Advantage for my cat. It's that I prefer not to get ripped off when I can avoid it.

All that said, I am not advocating for or suggesting that anyone else do what I do. I'm not intending on offering money saving or veterinary approved advice here. Just simply stating what I personally do.