From overeating to anorexia

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi everybody,
I'm dealing with a strange issue with my younger cat, Freya.
She's 15 months old, spayed, vaccinated, playful and affectionate.

She had been overeating or constantly looking for food for months, since she was about 4 months old and until a month ago.
She would pester us when we would eat lunch or dinner. She would put her nose and paws into pots, pans, dishes, glasses, stealing food of any kind, even foods that usually cats do not eat. For instance, I had to prepare a dish of green salad just for her. She had four meals a day, dry and wet, but she was never satisfied, and between two meals she would search the house to find anything to eat, she would open cabinets, doors, packages. I was desperate, even because she could have eaten something unsuitable for her. She also ate my eye glasses string and she took two days to pass it!

I discussed it with my vets and they told me she was growing and needed food, but I had never seen such an obsessed cat before.
I asked a vet if the acupuncture would have been a possible solution, and we tried, and it worked. We had 5 sessions of acupuncture, three of them were weekly, the fourth was two weeks after the third one, the last session was three weeks after the fourth one, on November 25th.

It worked, Freya stopped pestering us and destroying the house looking for food.

Unfortunately, now we have the opposite problem. Freya isn't eating anymore, she doesn't even ask me for food, she doesn't look for it, she doesn't look hungry. She spent most of the day sleeping and looking out the window. She isn't even interested in play anymore. Her favorite game was chasing the crumpled receipts, she would catch them and took them back to me so that I could throw at her again, but now she doesn't want to play anymore. Her eyes look sad, I would say she's depressed.

This has been a sudden thing. She stopped eating on Sunday, November 28th, three days after the last session of acupuncture. She refused her meals. I thought she wasn't hungry that day, though it was so unusual of her. The next day she didn't eat either, I thought she was disliking the food, so I tried different varieties that she had always scarfed down before, nothing. I bought different brands, but she isn't eating as she was eating before, she often turns away from her dish.
She does eat dry food, but I have to force her.

She isn't vomiting, she's using the litter box regularly, her coat is fine, her eyes are fine, I don't see anything strange or bad in her mouth. She just turned depressed and anorectic.

The vet says this can't be a long wake from the acupuncture, but I don't know what else it can be.

Furthermore, it seems she's always feeling cold. She tends to look for heat sources, like my lap or the heating radiator, where she lies flat between the radiator and the window sill. This is something that I discourage her from doing, but I can't always be with her.
My thought is that she might even be hypothyroid.

I will talk with the vets, though these days aren't the best.
Any advice is welcome.

IMG_20211206.jpg

Freya stuck between the radiator and the sill.
She isn't sad or scared in the photo, that's her usual look
;)

Docs Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She MUST eat something or she will have hepatic lipidosis (fatty liver disease)....
I had a kitty who stopped eating because of a painful mouth. We had her mouth problem resolved, but it took 4 months with an esophageal feeding tube before she ate again on her own.

So please take Freya back to the vet specifically for her anorexia.....it is a life threatening issue...!

Good thoughts and jingles for Freya...

Lisa and her Furry kids

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats that stop eating and seek warmth are not feeling good. She may just have a kitty cold or about anything. I would get her a K&H pet heating pad, they use VERY little electricity and all cats love them. The cheapest is to just get the small pad and cover it with a small fleece blanket. For now, you could use a human heat pad and put it on low under a blanket. Go to the treat section in your local store and buy some lickable treats for cats. Get the ones with clear broth, many cats don't like the bisque. Cats usually will eat these until they feel better. The vet could give you an appetite stimulator to help her along, She may need an immune system supplement too, my cats haven't had a major illness since I started them on DMG, you might research it. Just get her to eat something, anything. There were times my Burt would only eat deli-fried chicken or Arby's roast beef, you just have to find what she likes.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What a beauty! Are her eyes always dilated like that? If so, I would have them give her a thorough check-up because it's not normal for them to be that way in the light unless she's excited about something, which you indicated she wasn't.

Did your Vet do the acupuncture treatment or did someone else do them? Have you spoken with them if it was someone else? I would, if you haven't. I don't really know what could have happened, but it seems awfully coincidental that she completely stopped eating that soon after her last treatment. In the meantime, I guess you've tried using toppers, etc? I have a cat who is not food driven at all and every meal is a chore so I use toppers constantly, sometimes with no effect at all, like a few hours ago :sigh:. But sometimes when I bring out new toppers, like freeze dried salmon, he digs right in, at least for one meal.

As for her not playing, maybe for some reason she really is depressed now. Did you talk to your Vet about anti-depressants? I wonder if the acupuncture could have played a part in that, and maybe she just needs a month or so on them to get her brain chemicals back in sync :dunno: ?

kittenmittens84

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
In that pic it looks like she could be not feeling great, cats tend to pull their whiskers straight back and hold their heads down like that when they don’t feel well, and not eating is obviously also not normal. Go back to the vet!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats that stop eating and seek warmth are not feeling good. She may just have a kitty cold or about anything.
Well, she's fine in that aspect, no signs of a cold whatsoever.

The vet could give you an appetite stimulator to help her along, She may need an immune system supplement too, my cats haven't had a major illness since I started them on DMG, you might research it.
Today she ate something more, Salmon paté, and several kibbles. So today I'm happy with that.

What a beauty! Are her eyes always dilated like that?
That photo was taken early in the morning, with only the ceiling lights on, it was still dark outside. So her eyes were dilated.

Did your Vet do the acupuncture treatment or did someone else do them? Have you spoken with them if it was someone else?
It was a different vet, which I know well, and I was present during all sessions. Though Covid is rampant and everywhere, we are still allowed in with our pets during the visits.

In the meantime, I guess you've tried using toppers, etc?
No, I haven't, and I would try to avoid them, because I wouldn't like her to eat only with toppers.

As for her not playing, maybe for some reason she really is depressed now. Did you talk to your Vet about anti-depressants? I wonder if the acupuncture could have played a part in that, and maybe she just needs a month or so on them to get her brain chemicals back in sync :dunno: ?
The acupuncturist vet said she doesn't think that the treatment might have unbalanced anything to that point.
Today Freya was more lively and active, and also ate some more food, at least at lunch. Let's see tonight.

In that pic it looks like she could be not feeling great, cats tend to pull their whiskers straight back and hold their heads down like that when they don’t feel well, and not eating is obviously also not normal. Go back to the vet!
Yes, I agree that she wasn't feeling too good when I took that photo, I don't know whether it was because she was feeling cold.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This morning I took Freya to the vet. They drew some blood for a full panel. One of the reports is already here, the other one should be ready in the next 24 hours, I think. This should give us a clearer view of what's going on.
The CBC shows as follows:
RBC 10.47 [5.8 - 8.5]
MCV 35.05 [59.4 - 71.9]
MCH 12.89 [21.3 - 25.8]
Lymphocytes % 55 [11.8 - 39.6]
Lymphocytes 7540 [1200 - 4100]
Monocytes % 37.80 [3.3 - 10.3]
Monocytes 5182 [200 - 750]

We're waiting for the chemistry to give these results a meaning.

They also did an ultrasound which found a slight reactivity of a few abdominal lymph nodes. They were noticed before, in a previous ultrasound scan, but we never understood the reason behind it.

I also took some feces that Freya produced this morning, two hours before leaving. I put them outside, where it was as cold as a fridge, so I'm sure they were correctly stored.

Today she ate something more, Salmon paté, and several kibbles. So today I'm happy with that.

Freya_20211228.jpg

This photo was taken today at 1 pm, a few minutes after she had her lunch and an hour after we returned from the vets. She was even more stuck between the sill and the radiator. Her eyes are properly dilated for the light in the room.

Nice Loki

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My word she is beautiful.
I hope you get to the bottom of this and she starts feeling better soon.

Sending love and strokes to you and Freya respectively.

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
We'll be anxiously awaiting the results of the rest of the tests, as I'm sure you will. At least her appetite is up a little bit today. That's a plus.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank everybody for your thoughts.

This morning I received three more reports from the tests the vet ran two days ago.
The first report I was still waiting for was the electrophoresis, which I think it's fine, isn't it?

Elettroforesi.JPG

The chemistry, though, reveals what I was suspecting, Freya has a likely Iron deficiency. I expressed my doubt to my vet when I read the CBC report and saw that the Hematocrit was low (I forgot to add this value to my previous post) and that MCV and MCH were a little on the low side as well.

The results of this are as follows
Total Iron (μg/dL): 83 [110 - 170]
UIBC (μg/dL): 274 [124 - 347]
TIBC (μg/dL): 357 [250 - 506]
Saturation (%): 23.2 [22 - 55]

The vet says that because UIBC and TIBC are fine, along with the saturation, he doesn't think it's a real issue.

Also, the other altered levels are
CPK (IU/L): 232 [10 - 140]
Cholinesterase (IU/L): 3246 [1500 - 3000]

But the vet says that because Freya is a young and very active cat, those levels are normal. I think otherwise...:think:

Furthermore, the vet found an error in the previous CBC report, the correct one is this:
RBC: 10.47 [5.8 - 8.5]
HCT (%): 36.7 [37.9 - 55.5]
MCV: 35.05 [59.4 - 71.9]
MCH: 12.89 [21.3 - 25.8]
Neutrophils (%): 55 [42.5 - 77.3]
Neutrophils (/υL): 7540 [2500 - 12500]
Lymphocytes %: 37.5 [11.8 - 39.6]
Lymphocytes: 5141 [1200 - 4100]
Monocytes %: 2.50 [3.3 - 10.3]
Monocytes: 342 [200 - 750]
Eosinophiles (/υL): 630 [150 - 1100]
Basophils (/υL): 13.7 [0 - 110]

The monocytes are within the range, so I'm much less concerned now.

Now, if I consider the low Iron, HCT, MCV and MCH, along with the fact that Freya seems to feel cold more than a usual cat does, I am sure that the problem is that she needs a supplement of Iron. The vet discouraged me from giving her Iron+Vit C pills, he would rather use some multivitamin and minerals paste for about three weeks and then check her again.

Any advice?
Thanks for reading!

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Reading blood work is not a easy as one might think. So many values are dependent on OTHER values that it's hard for a novice (me) to make much sense of them. In this area, I would have to defer to what your Vet recommends.