From Outside To Inside

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have been caring for feral cats on my property for over 7 years now. For the past 3 years, I have had 3 that live on my deck. All are somewhat socialized to me, but not any one else. I have longed for the day that I could bring them inside. My current home just does not have the right set up for them. I also have 3 other cats ( 2 former ferals and one Humane Society Rescue) and a large dog in the house.

We have been looking to move for over a year and finally found a home. We will be moving the middle/end of February. I always knew the feral boys would be coming along and when looking for a new house, one of the priorities was enough space for them to be inside cats as well as space to build a catio. The new house has all of this.

After carefully planning, I decided it was best to get them inside my current home so they could acclimate to inside living. I have one large guest room that I removed all furnishings. I added some of their furniture from outside along with cozy beds, litter boxes, cat trees, toys and a space to play. I was going to wait until mid January, but the temperatures took a plunge and I did not want to live through all of the worry again.

For the past 6 weeks, I had been opening my sliding door and allowing them time inside. My other inside animals were safely upstairs. The feral boys would come inside and wander around the first floor as long as I kept the door ajar. I decided to use medium sized dog carriers to get them upstairs to the room. I had these out every visit. I lined them with a cozy blanket, catnip and yummy food. They went into them most nights for a few minutes.

On December 26, I decided to give it a try. Two of them went inside the carriers easily. The third one was a bit more difficult, but I managed. No cuts, bites or scratches! Two of them hid for a bit at first, but the other one was out walking around from the start.

It is getting better each day. The noises of my family and other animals spook them, but they are adjusting. All are eating, all come out to see me when I come into the room and all are using the litter box. The most feral boy ( Hampton) is still scared, but improving each day.

I had dreamed of the day I would have them all inside safe and sound. This past summer/fall and into early winter, the coyotes were frequent visitors to my yard. I was so scared for the boys each night.

We still have adjustments to make and vet visit. I found a mobile vet that will come to the house so that is a huge plus. I am waiting a few weeks before that happens.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Great to hear about this shadowsrescue shadowsrescue , all your babies snugged up cozy indoors and also hope the transition to the new house will be a smooth one.

I’m sure they’ll be glad with the new place with the catio
01B4DE3D-C59E-45AE-94E7-5BEACD986E28.gif

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Sounds like things are going very well! You've done a wonderful job! These guys are very lucky to be inside now, and I know you are relieved they are safe. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am so happy to have them inside. My sweet Shadow is doing so well. He is very happy to be inside. Stellar seems so very sad. He will bat at a toy, but nothing more. Hampton just hides in the bottom of the condo. I know it will take time. It is hard to watch them be so inactive. Yet I know this is a huge change for them. None of them have ever lived inside a house.

I am using Feliway and flower essences. Unfortunately they hate the composure ( liquid and treat). I am going to use some Comfort zone spray today.

Today is the one week mark. The time has just flown. This morning it was a balmy -7. Brrrrrrrrr

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Great news about the house... more cat space... yea! I have built a cater you for both the basement and in ground garage kids... not great looking but they enjoy them. Both have cat doors I can leave unlocked. Relatives say it makes the place look like "peter tumbledown "... you have to be old to understand that expression.

I think you will see pleasant changes when you get settled and the kids get their inside outside place.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
trudy1 trudy1 I love that catio. I bet your cats love it too.

My boys will have to wait until summer as there will not be any time to for my DH to make one.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so happy for you and your new inside boys shadowsrescue shadowsrescue :clapcat::happycat::cutecat::kneading::purr::kneading::cutecat::happycat::clapcat: The timing with the bitterly cold weather couldn't have been better! It must feel wonderful to not have to worry about them being in the freezing cold :cloud9:

Have you thought of trying them with Zylkene? It's a similar product to Composure, but is little capsules rather than liquid or treats. They might accept it better. Just a thought ;)

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so happy for you and your new inside boys shadowsrescue shadowsrescue :clapcat::happycat::cutecat::kneading::purr::kneading::cutecat::happycat::clapcat: The timing with the bitterly cold weather couldn't have been better! It must feel wonderful to not have to worry about them being in the freezing cold :cloud9:

Have you thought of trying them with Zylkene? It's a similar product to Composure, but is little capsules rather than liquid or treats. They might accept it better. Just a thought ;)
I keep forgetting about trying this. I just ordered some. It might really help them when the mobile vet comes. Thanks so much for the reminder! They did not like the composure treats or liquid. I hope this powder is mostly tasteless!

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I haven't tried it myself - my vet has that and another, UK only one, and they pushed that to try first. The powder seems pretty easily covered in strong flavoured food, but I'm think of switching to Zylkene because the capsules are half the size!

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How are you planning on getting the vet to see the cat?
Putting it in a crate?
I will have to wait for that, I do remember someone posting about getting them in a crate.
I'd be afraid to put a crate near her after the trapping debacle:)

ParkBaby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have been caring for feral cats on my property for over 7 years now. For the past 3 years, I have had 3 that live on my deck. All are somewhat socialized to me, but not any one else. I have longed for the day that I could bring them inside. My current home just does not have the right set up for them. I also have 3 other cats ( 2 former ferals and one Humane Society Rescue) and a large dog in the house.

We have been looking to move for over a year and finally found a home. We will be moving the middle/end of February. I always knew the feral boys would be coming along and when looking for a new house, one of the priorities was enough space for them to be inside cats as well as space to build a catio. The new house has all of this.

After carefully planning, I decided it was best to get them inside my current home so they could acclimate to inside living. I have one large guest room that I removed all furnishings. I added some of their furniture from outside along with cozy beds, litter boxes, cat trees, toys and a space to play. I was going to wait until mid January, but the temperatures took a plunge and I did not want to live through all of the worry again.

For the past 6 weeks, I had been opening my sliding door and allowing them time inside. My other inside animals were safely upstairs. The feral boys would come inside and wander around the first floor as long as I kept the door ajar. I decided to use medium sized dog carriers to get them upstairs to the room. I had these out every visit. I lined them with a cozy blanket, catnip and yummy food. They went into them most nights for a few minutes.

On December 26, I decided to give it a try. Two of them went inside the carriers easily. The third one was a bit more difficult, but I managed. No cuts, bites or scratches! Two of them hid for a bit at first, but the other one was out walking around from the start.

It is getting better each day. The noises of my family and other animals spook them, but they are adjusting. All are eating, all come out to see me when I come into the room and all are using the litter box. The most feral boy ( Hampton) is still scared, but improving each day.

I had dreamed of the day I would have them all inside safe and sound. This past summer/fall and into early winter, the coyotes were frequent visitors to my yard. I was so scared for the boys each night.

We still have adjustments to make and vet visit. I found a mobile vet that will come to the house so that is a huge plus. I am waiting a few weeks before that happens.
Hello Shadowsrescue,

I desperately need to catch a friendly, socialized outside girl we've been taking care off for 8 years. My husband and I tried twice ...and couldn't get her into the carrier, she was very fast, run away...
How did you get the boys into the carriers?
I admire you for being able to get them inside...and taking care of them!
I have the same dream, getting her out of the cold...and into the nice home with wonderful people who are waiting for her...
Thank you!

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hello Shadowsrescue,

I desperately need to catch a friendly, socialized outside girl we've been taking care off for 8 years. My husband and I tried twice ...and couldn't get her into the carrier, she was very fast, run away...
How did you get the boys into the carriers?
I admire you for being able to get them inside...and taking care of them!
I have the same dream, getting her out of the cold...and into the nice home with wonderful people who are waiting for her...
Thank you!
Have you tried using a humane trap? It might be easiest. You could start feeding her in the unset trap (tied open) for a few days. Each day move the food a bit further back. Once she is eating in the trap, you can then go ahead and set the trap. If she has been trapped before and will not go into the trap, then you will have to get more creative.

I know some people are able to rig a cat carrier by tying a string to the door and sitting a distance away. Place stinky food in the back and once the cat is inside, activate the string to make the door close.

I was able to get them in the carrier as I would allow them time inside my house with the door open. I would place all three carriers scattered about the house. The doors were wide open and I even used a brick to be sure the doors wouldn't sway or close. I then placed a cozy mat on the bottom that was sprinkled with catnip. I would then place a bowl of yummy stinky food inside the carrier. I started with it in the front of the carrier and each day moved it back further. On the day of the capture, only one of them went inside for the food. The other two had to be scooped up and placed into the carrier. I immediately took them upstairs to the bedroom so they were only in the carrier a short time.

If you do catch her, you might want to consider taking her right to the vet. I know it can then be really hard to get them into the carrier again for a vet visit. Also be sure that you have a room ready that is completely cat proofed. You don't want her hiding under beds or other large furniture. She will need a safe place to hid where she is still out in the open. It takes a lot of planning to be sure you are ready.

I am using a mobile vet. In fact, the vet is coming next week. It was going to be very difficult to get all 3 to the vet. I still need to have them in carriers so they are not running around the room, but the room I am using is cat proofed so all hiding spots have been blocked.

I hope that you are able to help this girl and get her inside to a warm home. Thank you for trying to make her life better.

ParkBaby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The sweet girl has been TNR-ed as a kitten...I took a trap to park last month....she didn't even go close to it...remembered the ordeal.
I put the carrier with food...she ate the treats.
But then we tried catching her, I was putting a towel on her and my husband was holding her, she scratched him and escaped.
She is very cautious since then and afraid of anything that looks like a carrier or box.
This was our third attempt since last year...
I cannot leave any trap or drop trap in the park...I will need to try with a carrier again...but it is very cold and I don't want to scare her, she may stay outside in the cold.
A wonderful couple wants to take her inside...they have a separate room for her, 2 young kitties (boys) and things that we got for her to have in her new home. She is our beloved girl...
We have a parrot boy at home...no way for a kitty and a parrot to coexist in our small apartment...
We will take her to the vet, but how to catch her....big problem.
Thank you very much for your reply, I got my hope back after so many obstacles...
All the best to you and the kitties!

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have you considered a drop trap? It might just be the ticket. You can do a search and watch youtube videos on how to make one yourself. After capturing in the drop trap, you can transfer her to a humane trap or carrier.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't know if you already tried this but what about a humane trap with a towel/blanket draped lumpily over the top of it to sort of disguise the shape and smell of the trap, and then those treats she likes, maybe stinky fish...all the best of luck to you!

ParkBaby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Have you considered a drop trap? It might just be the ticket. You can do a search and watch youtube videos on how to make one yourself. After capturing in the drop trap, you can transfer her to a humane trap or carrier.
I was considering...but it is an open and exposed area, many people around.
Maybe a professional trapper...couldn't find any.
I will look again, thank you!

ParkBaby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't know if you already tried this but what about a humane trap with a towel/blanket draped lumpily over the top of it to sort of disguise the shape and smell of the trap, and then those treats she likes, maybe stinky fish...all the best of luck to you!
Yes, we tried, she stayed away....we trapped her years ago. .
Smart kitty...
Thank you, all the best to you!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I see. Hopefully a bit more time, food and love from you will do the trick - I'm hoping for the best for all of you!!