From Neglect to Shame

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise

Thank you. :) I don't know why a two year old cat would suddenly stop eating. He acts like his hungry as heck but when I put some wet/ dry food out for him, he just stares at it while flicking his tongue in and out.

I tell ya, I need a break from cats.

Dario the GreyCat

Owned by Dario since 10/09/2019
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear about all of this, I've used DE to fend off the roaches and I think it's pretty great stuff. Hopefully you can get rid of those nasty bugs, fleas are a pain.
I hope Vale is able to recover and give you the years she has to give, she sounds like quite the character. Was she always deaf? Or did that happen later?
Hopefully your two year old starts eating again.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear about all of this, I've used DE to fend off the roaches and I think it's pretty great stuff. Hopefully you can get rid of those nasty bugs, fleas are a pain.
I hope Vale is able to recover and give you the years she has to give, she sounds like quite the character. Was she always deaf? Or did that happen later?
Hopefully your two year old starts eating again.
:catlove:Thank you.

I think her deafness happened later in life- she's old lady Vale now and deafer than a post. She also has mellowed out with old age- doesn't bite as hard or as frequent. :)

These fleas are overwhelming everybody- never saw such an infestation in my life. Is there something that can be safe to use around birds?- that is my big hangup- what can I use that won't cause those guys any problems.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Birds - as in your yard? Hey, I routinely feed birds and squirrels and still spray insecticide in the yard. The birds for the most part aren't going to be bothered by stuff sprayed on the ground. The stuff I use is supposed to be "safe" once dry, so I just try to use it when the squirrels are 'napping' in their nests. They have a schedule - at least in my yard.

I didn't say it before, but congratulations on what you have done for Vale! I am sure you can get Inky through this too!!!

Edit: try all the foods that have been recommended before - canned tuna/chicken in water, baby food meats, and of course the ever famous KFC - so many have had success with this. Go figure.

Dario the GreyCat

Adult Cat
Purraise
:catlove:Thank you.

I think her deafness happened later in life- she's old lady Vale now and deafer than a post. She also has mellowed out with old age- doesn't bite as hard or as frequent. :)

These fleas are overwhelming everybody- never saw such an infestation in my life. Is there something that can be safe to use around birds?- that is my big hangup- what can I use that won't cause those guys any problems.
My best friend has a white cat (Snickers) who she rescued with his sister years ago and he's always been deaf as a post, I'd read that it was common among white cats and was curious. She sounds like my mom's cat, Mrs. Jackson, 21, mellowed out but she's a (loveable) grump.

I've used Diatomaceous Earth around my boys, my vet said that it should be safe to use around the birds as long as you get the food grade and don't use the dispenser they usually sell with it that puffs the stuff out. I use spoons to spread it out and that works really well for me.
The birds always make things like this tricky. Can you call your vet and ask? They might be a better source but, like I said, I use DE any time I have an ant or roach issue.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Birds - as in your yard? Hey, I routinely feed birds and squirrels and still spray insecticide in the yard. The birds for the most part aren't going to be bothered by stuff sprayed on the ground. The stuff I use is supposed to be "safe" once dry, so I just try to use it when the squirrels are 'napping' in their nests. They have a schedule - at least in my yard.

I didn't say it before, but congratulations on what you have done for Vale! I am sure you can get Inky through this too!!!

I own two Cockatoos and I was wondering what somebody does in that situation. I was thinking that if I remove their water and food bowels when spraying and wipe down their cages, than maybe.......things will be okay? I have never dealt with this before. I think that is so neat that you feed squirrels and birds- animals are lucky to know you.

Thank you very much! :) I hope I can help Inky- it's just weird- he was such a foodie before.

Dario the GreyCat

Adult Cat
Purraise
I own two Cockatoos and I was wondering what somebody does in that situation. I was thinking that if I remove their water and food bowels when spraying and wipe down their cages, than maybe.......things will be okay? I have never dealt with this before. I think that is so neat that you feed squirrels and birds- animals are lucky to know you.

Thank you very much! :) I hope I can help Inky- it's just weird- he was such a foodie before.
I'd ask the vet, I'd be worried about them breathing it in. But, macaws are supposed to be super sensitive so perhaps cockatoos are more prone to being okay. I know very little about cockatoos. It's mostly the issues of the stuff getting in their lungs. Can you board them with your vet if you bug-bomb the place?
I can ask elsewhere about that if you'd like?

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
My best friend has a white cat (Snickers) who she rescued with his sister years ago and he's always been deaf as a post, I'd read that it was common among white cats and was curious. She sounds like my mom's cat, Mrs. Jackson, 21, mellowed out but she's a (loveable) grump.

I've used Diatomaceous Earth around my boys, my vet said that it should be safe to use around the birds as long as you get the food grade and don't use the dispenser they usually sell with it that puffs the stuff out. I use spoons to spread it out and that works really well for me.
The birds always make things like this tricky. Can you call your vet and ask? They might be a better source but, like I said, I use DE any time I have an ant or roach issue.

You are correct, most white cats are born deaf, we had a white persian when I was little and she was deaf from the start. And as far as I know, they have never explained why that is.

There is nothing lovable about Vale, we use to draw straws to see who had to sit next to her on the couch when we'd watch TV. I usually lost and would end up watching from the floor. :)

Someone has suggested that, but I honestly don't know how you would rub it into the carpet, couches, and floors, without it exploding into the air, and then everyone dies from it, including me. ;)

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd ask the vet, I'd be worried about them breathing it in. But, macaws are supposed to be super sensitive so perhaps cockatoos are more prone to being okay. I know very little about cockatoos. It's mostly the issues of the stuff getting in their lungs. Can you board them with your vet if you bug-bomb the place?
I can ask elsewhere about that if you'd like?

I had not thought of the boarding route- thank you! That way I can give the place a good scrub down while they are being kept safe. Fred's cage gives me the most headache- it is seven feet tall and forty inches wide- Oy.

Dario the GreyCat

Adult Cat
Purraise
You are correct, most white cats are born deaf, we had a white persian when I was little and she was deaf from the start. And as far as I know, they have never explained why that is.

There is nothing lovable about Vale, we use to draw straws to see who had to sit next to her on the couch when we'd watch TV. I usually lost and would end up watching from the floor. :)

Someone has suggested that, but I honestly don't know how you would rub it into the carpet, couches, and floors, without it exploding into the air, and then everyone dies from it, including me. ;)
Ha, yeah, Mrs. Jackson wants nothing to do with being inside. She gets incredibly upset if inside and actually tries anything she can to get out. Including straining at the windows. Jack used to get you with her polydactyle eight toes per paw if you made her mad but she mostly avoided people.

And ouch, I'm sorry, she sounds like a tough lady.

Ha, yeeaaahhh, the goal is to get the bugs not everyone else :p

I had not thought of the boarding route- thank you! That way I can give the place a good scrub down while they are being kept safe. Fred's cage gives me the most headache- it is seven feet tall and forty inches wide- Oy.
All the feels there. Sam's cage is that size. And glad I could help! I've been on the brink of boarding my boys if I couldn't get the bugs under control.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Ha, yeah, Mrs. Jackson wants nothing to do with being inside. She gets incredibly upset if inside and actually tries anything she can to get out. Including straining at the windows. Jack used to get you with her polydactyle eight toes per paw if you made her mad but she mostly avoided people.

And ouch, I'm sorry, she sounds like a tough lady.

Ha, yeeaaahhh, the goal is to get the bugs not everyone else :p

All the feels there. Sam's cage is that size. And glad I could help! I've been on the brink of boarding my boys if I couldn't get the bugs under control.

Polydactyle cats are my favorite- so I would forgive anything from Mrs. J. Hemingway was another big fan of those kitties wearing baseball mitts for paws.

She still is a tough lady- I always tell her: " You can't die, you're too mean to die."

Yeah, I would just hate it, if after a week of not hearing from me, that people would enter my house and find the birds, my cats, and myself, laying stiff on the ground with our feet up in the air, while the fleas hopped around happily.

Dario the GreyCat

Adult Cat
Purraise
Polydactyle cats are my favorite- so I would forgive anything from Mrs. J. Hemingway was another big fan of those kitties wearing baseball mitts for paws.

She still is a tough lady- I always tell her: " You can't die, you're too mean to die."

Yeah, I would just hate it, if after a week of not hearing from me, that people would enter my house and find the birds, my cats, and myself, laying stiff on the ground with our feet up in the air, while the fleas hopped around happily.
I had heard that about Hemingway, she's pretty cool and I admit I do love her paws... when all sixteen aren't being unsheathed and flying at me. Giving her meds was a heck of a thing. Mom and I used to joke she could take an arm off. Who needs one thumb--she's got TWO. She's settled down now; all growl and no bite or claw. She's finally realized when mom and I fuss with her it's for her own good.

Ha! I have a soft spot for fighters, I'm sure she was a handful to grow up with. We tell Jackson that too, that's why she's made it to 21.

Lol! Yeah, not the best way for that story to end. Maybe for the fleas but, no one cares what they want.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
I had heard that about Hemingway, she's pretty cool and I admit I do love her paws... when all sixteen aren't being unsheathed and flying at me. Giving her meds was a heck of a thing. Mom and I used to joke she could take an arm off. Who needs one thumb--she's got TWO. She's settled down now; all growl and no bite or claw. She's finally realized when mom and I fuss with her it's for her own good.

Ha! I have a soft spot for fighters, I'm sure she was a handful to grow up with. We tell Jackson that too, that's why she's made it to 21.

Lol! Yeah, not the best way for that story to end. Maybe for the fleas but, no one cares what they want.

If you have a chance, please post some photos of Mrs. J, I would love to see her.

Inky is still not eating- only munched a few pieces of dry food last night. I am starting to really get concern. :(

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Try any/all the food suggestions on Inky that you were given to try to get Vale to eat. Do you think it is flea related? He is so much younger than Vale, I am concerned something else is going on with him.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Try any/all the food suggestions on Inky that you were given to try to get Vale to eat. Do you think it is flea related? He is so much younger than Vale, I am concerned something else is going on with him.

He is two- Vale is seventeen. :( I gave himself for his fleas and for his nausea last night, just like I had done for Vale but it isn't making a dent with him.

My cats are stressed by the fleas- Gypsy clawed me last night- she acts liker her whole coat is hurting. She and Inky would have both been better off if I had left them over there at Hoods.

Dario the GreyCat

Adult Cat
Purraise
If you have a chance, please post some photos of Mrs. J, I would love to see her.

Inky is still not eating- only munched a few pieces of dry food last night. I am starting to really get concern. :(
I'll PM you so as to not derail the thread.

Does Inky have a favorite treat that you could try? There's a lot of great advice, I'm not sure I have much more to offer than positive thoughts for you and Inky (and Vale, of course).

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If you have treated them all for fleas, they should be getting at least a bit of relief, although it will still be a while before you can completely eradicate those little creepy bugs. How are you treating all the cats for fleas - both Capstar and a month-long topical?

Are you saying they are nauseated from the fleas due to stress? Did the vet seem to think that is the reason, is that why the vet gave you anti-nausea meds? If those meds are not working for Inky, call the vet and tell them so - maybe they can try another med, or also prescribe an appetite stimulant.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
If you have treated them all for fleas, they should be getting at least a bit of relief, although it will still be a while before you can completely eradicate those little creepy bugs. How are you treating all the cats for fleas - both Capstar and a month-long topical?

Are you saying they are nauseated from the fleas due to stress? Did the vet seem to think that is the reason, is that why the vet gave you anti-nausea meds? If those meds are not working for Inky, call the vet and tell them so - maybe they can try another med, or also prescribe an appetite stimulant.

Inky used to love all food- that is why this is so baffling. My vet, for reasons foreign to me, never has an appetite stimulant, doesn't believe in them. He always suggest anti-nausea meds or an injection.

And no, not everyone has been treated, I am waiting on my paycheck which will not be here for two more weeks. I guess I can get some Capstar but that only last a day. I wonder if I used that and spray the house real good, if it will hold the fleas back until I get paid.

Inky could be stressed because of the other cats or the fleas. He will not go back into his room (bathroom), can not entice him back for anything. He wants to be out with me.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll PM you so as to not derail the thread.

Does Inky have a favorite treat that you could try? There's a lot of great advice, I'm not sure I have much more to offer than positive thoughts for you and Inky (and Vale, of course).

Inky loves ALL food, or he use to. Even when he was stressed out at the vet's he still ate like a champ. This has been going on for 48 hours now- we are starting to enter dangerous territory.