From Market to Feeding: How to handle raw?

Anoxia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello! I've come across mixed feedback online, so before I bought a new batch I wanted to ask:
  • For chicken hearts, giblets, and liver, is it necessary to store them in the freezer for 8 weeks before feeding? Or can they be used as treats right away? Do they need to be washed before they're plated?
  • For chicken feet, can they go straight from the market to the pot to make broth, or do they also need to be frozen first?
Thank you!

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
You can use raw meat straight away when buying it. Any meat that is not being used right away can go in the freezer for storage. Freezing meat doesn't kill all bacteria, it just stops bacteria growth, so it's really a storage precaution.

You don't have to wash any raw meat or organs, but some people do. I usually wash organs because they tend to have more surface bacteria, but it's not necessary.

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
I tend to rinse my meats because I know they've already been sitting in their packages for a while.
Other than that, I'll feed fresh and freeze anything that won't get used in a couple days.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Here’s what the USDA advises when it comes to humans and washing meat:
Washing Meat and Poultry
Washing raw poultry, beef, pork, lamb, or veal before cooking it is not recommended. Bacteria in raw meat and poultry juices can be spread to other foods, utensils, and surfaces. We call this cross-contamination.

Some consumers think they are removing bacteria and making their meat or poultry safe. However, some of the bacteria are so tightly attached that you could not remove them no matter how many times you washed. But there are other types of bacteria that can be easily washed off and splashed on the surfaces of your kitchen. Failure to clean these contaminated areas can lead to foodborne illness. Cooking (baking, broiling, boiling, and grilling) to the right temperature kills the bacteria, so washing food is not necessary.

Like you, I’ve read both “yes” and “no” when it comes to washing raw meat for cats—and from reputable sites I trust. I initially rinsed mine and I also gave it a quick, low temp bake in the oven to kill surface bacteria, but I don’t do either any more.

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
I love it when people refer to that USDA bit....

Because, really, they buried the lead...

... Failure to clean these contaminated areas can lead to foodborne illness. Cooking (baking, broiling, boiling, and grilling) to the right temperature kills the bacteria, so washing food is not necessary.
1. I always clean my area before and after preparing meat.
2. I'm very conscientious about cooking meat that I will be consuming. However, since the animals are eating it raw, I deem it necessary to give it a good rinse.

Honestly, I have no idea why the USDA decided to change that advisory. Cleaning the meat is not the problem, lazy people who don't clean their areas are the problem. So let's just enable them by saying it's okay not to rinse your meat because you're gonna cook it anyway, right? :rolleyes3:

Last edited:

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I love it when people refer to that USDA bit....
Well, thank you. Glad to help. :) Perhaps I should have added that I have dedicated stainless steel bowls and utensils that I use only for the cats' food prep as well as a cat-only sponge that's replaced weekly. All cat food dishes and cat food storage containers are run through the dishwasher. And I cover the counter with newspapers when I'm doing cat food prep...and then I wash the counter down afterward. The grinder is cleaned with dedicated brushes and dried with paper towels. My stainless steel sinks are scrubbed after each use. The meat is frozen immediately after grinding, and I never let the grinder sit with meat bits in it for more than 10 minutes (while I'm setting up the next batch of meat to grind).

As I said to my vet last week--who is supportive of my making the girls a raw food diet because he knows I take these precautions and has reviewed my (Dr. Pierson's) recipe--not everyone should try to make their cats' food.

Or perhaps their own food, either! :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Anoxia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is all helpful to know! Part of what confused me from my own research was that it seemed to assume the reader had some background knowledge about food handling; it made the text seem vague to someone like me, who's coming in pretty much blind. I'm hoping to learn as much as I can for my girls, so I appreciate the detailed information on what's considered appropriate handling and cleaning for the meat, as well as the kitchen!

Thank you so much, everyone! :redheartpump:

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh My Dog, it would never cross my mind that I don’t have to clean the meat..... I thought this is necessary. I understand the reasoning behind not rinsing meat if it’s about to be cooked, but if it’s to be served raw..? I’m skeptical. Boy I’d be happy to stop doing it though :)