From Friskies to raw-what do I need to know?

matts mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Over the time I've had Matt I've transitioned his food a number of times trying to find the best for him and our budget...I found a raw food for 65centsper cat per day, and I can afford this. Matt's getting to the age that I'm starting to worry about stones, obesity and various other issues-none of which he's been diagnosed with, but a few symptoms worry me regardless. The vet says his weight's a definite concern, though he's losing weight since I started feeding him on top of the fridge instead of on the floor.-must be the jumping every couple of hours to beg

I've never liked the salt content in Friskies anyway....what about this one? I ordered the trial bag

https://www.knowbetterpetfood.com/cat_food_u-stew

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
U Stew is good. Note that is is a pre-mix for cooked boneless skinless organ less meat, not for raw meat. If you want to feed raw, use the Better In The Raw product which is also sold by the same company and is also for boneless skinless and organ less meat.

The video on the web site shows ground meat being used for both products. Many people here don't like to use already ground meat from the supermarket or butcher shop because of concerns of bacteria being mixed throughout the meat. Although technically since you have to cook the meat per the U Stew instructions it may not be a huge concern. To be on the safe side, buy whole cuts of meat (like chicken breast) instead and grind or finely chop it yourself and then cook it according to the U Stew instructions. Read the meat package label and avoid those that have been injected or soaked in a flavored solution or broth or preservatives.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

matts mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So this is an additive to the meat that I would buy and feed? Like a protein shake, or multivitamin? 

I was under the impression that this WAS the cat food? but I was very tired when I ordered it, and probably didn't read everything over

Last edited:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

So this is an additive to the meat that I would buy and feed? Like a protein shake, or multivitamin? 

I was under the impression that this WAS the cat food? but I was very tired when I ordered it, and probably didn't read everything over
Oh no no . U Stew is a powdered pre-mix (basically just vitamins and minerals) that you have to add meat to. It is not a meal on its own.

Perhaps you were thinking of dehydrated (powdered) raw food at the time. These are complete meals on their own. You just have to add water to rehydrate before serving. The Honest Kitchen is one such brand as is one of the Addiction cat foods.

matts mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So I can mix it with any meat they all like for a nutritionally complete meal? I actually like that deal.

What's the cost per cat on the dehydrated raw like?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

So I can mix it with any meat they all like for a nutritionally complete meal? I actually like that deal.
Yes, the U Stew can be mixed with any cooked boneless skinless organ less meat of your choice: chicken, rabbit, turkey, beef, etc. As I mentioned above, try to avoid store ground meats if possible and meats that have sugar / salt / broth / other solutions. It really doesn't take long to chop a piece of meat up into cat-sized pieces. The U Stew web site has more detailed instructions on how long to cook the meat for and how much water and how much pre-mix to add. You can portion the food out into containers and put them in the fridge. You can also freeze the food and take it out as needed, allowing time for it to defrost in the fridge.

What's the cost per cat on the dehydrated raw like?
I'm not sure. I haven't fed The Honest Kitchen in about 4 years. A 2 lb box costs roughly $25. Say a cat eats 4 oz a day of the dehydrated raw. That would be about $0.20 a day... I think. Too early to do math
I believe you can request a sample bag of The Honest Kitchen from their web site. Independent pet stores may also have samples.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
FYI the only difference between U-stew and Better-in-the-Raw products (which are by the same company) is digestive enzymes are added to the U-stew meant for use with cooked. So it can be used with raw meat. :)

Cost comparisons are a little hard to make because it depends on your cost per pound of chicken thigh, turkey leg, whatever you're going to use for meat. This is when extra freezer space comes in really handy, to stock up when things are on sale. I love buying heaps of boneless pork loin on sale for $1.99 a pound!

matts mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Pork is ok for cats? I never saw a cat food that was pork based before. I was sort of thinking along the lines of ground chicken, since I know they'll eat chicken-I feed them bits when I cut breasts for meals, or some type of beef cut(stew perhaps) -again, they younger two are already accustomed to being fed stew beef

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, pork is fine for cats. More and more foods are coming out with a pork option. I think it wasn't used much for cat food because so much of the leftover "waste" from pig goes back into human foods (hot dogs, head cheese, etc).

A/D, the Hill's prescription food for critical care (assist feeding) has pork liver as the first ingredient (next to water). Primal has a freeze dried pork raw food. Nature's Variety and Wild Calling have canned pork cat foods. Just google "pork cat food," you'll find there's a lot of offerings out there now.

matts mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone, you've all been very helpful. I'll check with my local butcher next and see what prices are like on various cuts

One last thing-What about liver? I know it's high in taurine, so if I understand right it would be a treat not a meal...or an ingredient within a mix or multiple meats for a balance of nutrients?

Is this something I should just take a pass on until I've learned more?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

One last thing-What about liver? I know it's high in taurine, so if I understand right it would be a treat not a meal...or an ingredient within a mix or multiple meats for a balance of nutrients?

Is this something I should just take a pass on until I've learned more?
People who feed prey model or franken prey do include liver as part of the raw food. Since you will be doing U Stew that has all the vitamins and minerals a cat needs, raw liver is only a treat.

matts mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
perfect, thanks!