From Feral To Lap Cats

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
It was a red fox. We have a family in the area. Which is safer for the cats than cougars or bears. Cooper was actually not in that hoarding situation with Shaman or Treasure, if he came from one. Although there could be more than one instance but the police have been investigating patrol on foot and all since Treasure, Shaman, Shadow, Ambrose and Sopdet were in the 80 cat hoarding situation. Seems no one really knows where he came from. He was definitely domesticated though before popping up in my yard.

Any idea why Shaman or for that matter Shadow and Cooper each want me to stand guard over them when they eat? Shaman I understand because of her being timid and skittish and I know cats don't reason like we do but being once feral you would think they would eat the food before looking for someone or something because they may not be getting food again for awhile.

Last edited:

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
But I do have a question. It was mentioned that cats can reject or even be subject to re directed aggression if another cat is injured/ill or dying. I think we talked about my Mom's illness, but what about my injuries (stubbed toe that hasn't healed completely) cracked rib, and now the broken leg (ironically same day that Cooper just out of nowhere attacked Shaman for no visible reason. Of course he won't attack his source of food so he took it out on the closest one near him at the time which is Shaman. He wasn't anywhere near the area when I broke my leg. This was the first he was in contact since that happened yesterday.

I am finding it odd that they all tolerate each other while in the breakfast line but as soon as the food comes out the fighting begins (some days)

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
That's when all the aggression started was 2 months ago when I badly injured my toe. Before then the cats would "tolerate" each other at least but it just escalated after that day and last night I looked back at my posts from that day til Treasure's demise and notice that for awhile Shaman was running scared/petrified of me.

Now the question is how to mask the pain around the cats. And men or women's insulated underwear?

Last edited:

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Once again Shaman hasn't ate today. This is an ongoing issue when Mom keeps coming downstairs. :(

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Well she came just after posting this and ate until Shadow appeared. But she ate about 3/4 of her daily food intake so I guess that will do. Cooper saw me feeding her and stood there crying like he's been dumped. I have no idea what is going on here. He made this his home and I guess he thinks I no longer want him because of Shaman. I don't know how to deal with a cat that feels threatened while dividing attention between all (especially when I'm not feeling well)

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
Well she came just after posting this and ate until Shadow appeared. But she ate about 3/4 of her daily food intake so I guess that will do. Cooper saw me feeding her and stood there crying like he's been dumped. I have no idea what is going on here. He made this his home and I guess he thinks I no longer want him because of Shaman. I don't know how to deal with a cat that feels threatened while dividing attention between all (especially when I'm not feeling well)
❤♥

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Really hope someone can tell me why he does this and what I can do to make all 3 of them happy. I don't live near a feline behaviorist to tell me. I just want them all to be happy.

I'll never know if he was in a hoarding situation, or abused or just dumped. These cats showed up at a time that healed my heart from watching horrible tragedies on bald eagle cams and I want to do everything in my power to honor these cats and love them without one feeling left out and sad.

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
Really hope someone can tell me why he does this and what I can do to make all 3 of them happy. I don't live near a feline behaviorist to tell me. I just want them all to be happy.
❤ I wish I knew what to tell u..Ive noticed @ furballsmom has some good ideas..Im not experienced with Ferals...I really want to help
Have you asked any of the other members that deals with ferals????

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Like right now: Mom and I were out today (me on crutches) but we need food to eat and she can't go alone, and came home a bit late so I set out lunch and dinner together. There is still an entire plate of food out there. Shaman finally ate 3/4 of her daily food so I won't worry much about it today. Shadow is sleeping in one of the tents and Cooper, standing right next to the plate that has 1/8 spot not covered crying for more food.

Now Cooper is sitting next door crying like he's been rejected. I just spent a 30 minute play period with him, hugged him,pet him. He seems to be very needy. Shadow meanwhile is just laying there watching and Shaman is off somewhere. She's still in shock from yesterday I think.

Hearing him cry is breaking my heart. I never scolded him for jumping Shaman. I've been using the coin in can trick I read about though to startle him and then walk away. Maybe the coins in the can is a lie and doesn't work? I don't know. I just want the cats to be happy. I don't think that's too much to ask for

Last edited:

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
No. Last night I shook the can and he went off and pouted but came back fine. He started whining today when he saw me with Shaman.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Ok. I still think that he's frustrated by the can and is telling you about it, but if it keeps him from charging the other two, you may have to put up with his complaints.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I know. I read that yelling (which I don't do) causes fear of the human but doesn't shaking the can also do the same thing? Since I"m the one shaking the can? And I'm sure at some point they get acclimated to it. I remember how they ran a mile off when I would empty the trash because of the noise and now they sit there oblivious to the noise from the trash can.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
shaking the can also do the same thing?
Not necessarily fear, but he appears to me to be frustrated.

He might become acclimated, but hopefully by that time he isn't coming after the other cats anymore. I'm not really promoting this for him, but on the other hand I'm not sure what else to do.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Another thought I had is remote noise. I hide a bluetooth speaker and each time Cooper misbehaves I play a recording (12 seconds) of either a can shaking or something. I always have my phone with me for money making purposes so I can even do it on the phone in my pocket.

BTW: it's the Mom gets hair done day. She doesn't care that I"m on crutches, I have to get up and go with her. So I'm going to start doing a ritual thing on those days we go out so the cats know in advance and maybe Shaman can sneak in and eat (sadly without the carrier) as Cooper and Shadow take off to the bushes when I'm gone but hang around when I'm home so it's perfect timing for Shaman. I need to find some good treats that don't spoil and that do not contain catnip (Cooper is hyper enough lol ) to reward him for good behaviour. But I want to treat all of them instead of just one so they all associate yummy with each other (was that you that suggested that on my old thread?). I don't want it to be egg or mackerel as they most likely will be alternated between the two for meals and Shaman does not like the Temptations type treats. Unless I get those lil soups from Friskies they like and give them each a teaspoon for good behaviour? Ok well I'd better get going so I can download some "sounds" lol

Last edited:

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
How about this for a treat. It's costly so a treat only is what it will have to be. Sadly most of my pay comes in Amazon gift cards so I have to adjust the money to bank and Amazon accordingly.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I guess I no longer have to worry about the cats except Shaman. Cooper and Shadow were spotted 2 miles away from home. :(

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I remember seeing some documentary on tv that some cats roam a long distance, but still maintain a home base. It's hard to say what these cats will actually do, but I'm guessing you'll see them again.

Status
Not open for further replies.