From Feral To Lap Cats

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I may luck out that Shaman won't wander around the basement. Dinner time would be the best time to try that as there is no chance Mom will come downstairs at that time. I may just have to try and see I suppose. I'll lure her in with some mackerel I guess. Of course they have to wait til it's cold and I'm not well to do this.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll get that now that Shadow ate in peace. It may even get Shaman comfortable enough with the shelter that she'll take to it for when the weather gets real bad. I hope.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Something like this. Sorry not the greatest photo. There is an entrance and an exit. And I'm sure she can fit in that small space to poke her head in to eat. I can stand right there with her. Not ideal but at same time get Cooper desensitized to being zipped up in tent.

84EA0534-AD79-4593-89C8-B0E48F0E9C9D.jpeg
51CD96A9-A6B6-4FA2-813E-C5BF21A67872.jpeg

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll fix them all a treat tonight, and lure her in to eat the way I set up. What cat can resist mackerel? Of course dinner is a bit early tonight for them as I'm going out to get Mom and I Captain D's and all.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
So sadly Shaman wouldn't come inside to eat. And Cooper saw me and ran her off again. I tried luring him into the tent but he would not go. These cats are going to be the cause of my death yet. What's funny is that Cooper turns his nose up a lot of times at the food but doesn't want the others touching it. I guess timed feedings with them isn't going to work for now since it's so cold outside. Ugh. I did monitor Shaman and she had 3/4 can of 5.5 oz wet food and 1/4 cup dry food today. I hope that's enough for her. Anyway I think Shaman is learning from Shadow and watching from a distance and sneaking in to eat when Cooper disappears. Sadly I won't be able to go outside when she eats. I'd rather she eat and have a full belly then be run off because Cooper sees me. What a horrible tragedy this is. :(

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks. Then I won't need to worry about it any more today for her. It's sad that I have to stay hidden indoors when she eats but I do want her to eat.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh and I won't give up. I'm just looking at the area on cam right now seeing how I can arrange it all (once and for all except for the Mom alerts) that will entice Cooper into the tent or playpen to eat.

I'll just portion her's out for the day and split into 2 meals for her as dinner time is hard for her to get here since Shadow and Cooper bed down in the tents right after eating. Hate making her wait 17 hours between lunch and breakfast though.

I have not seen Ambrose for 2 months. He hasn't been picked up nor no dead cat so I'm thinking Ambrose found a home. Hope they are treating him well.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Now to figure out the equation to all of this as I usually buy the 13 oz cans of Friskies with a few 5.5 oz cans. And often times I can't even get the can foods. So what would be a good portion for her on dry food if that's all I have for her? I'm as clueless with math as I am with technology

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sorry for all the questions.
No worries :)
You're already providing them with music, and some cats really benefit from it's calming properties. I guess I'm wondering if a cloth that each cat uses to nap in could be used around the feeding area in some way?

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't use those with Cooper as they scare him. Last time I pulled a towel out near him I thought he would rip me to shreds. Not sure if it's association with something or not.

BTW: How do I handle feeding on the shopping tragedy days? I have 5 minutes to poke outside and give food but then I can't monitor Shaman.

Like just now. Shaman got two bites before being run off. The bringing Shaman inside doesn't work at all nor the zipping up tent be on the days we go shopping because Mom comes downstairs right away drinking her coffee to iron and other things downstairs. Again Shaman will probably die on me and my heart is breaking in two over this. :(

Last edited:

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm at wits end over this. No cat behaviorists nearby to assist me with this situation. Isn't there such a thing as free consultation with one before I travel 200 miles? Plus is there any kind of financial assistance for all of this. If I was dealing with 15 to 20 feral cats I'd understand but I'm only dealing with 3 sometimes 4 cats that all USED to be BEST of FRIENDS until that blasted day that Treasure got into it with Cooper. Ironically I saw a Treasure look alike up the street last week but I know it wasn't him. Each of these cats follow me all around. And even though Cooper almost killed me because of the towel situation, he still follows me constantly, none of them let me out of there sight unless I'm inside and then they sit and either stare at the door or stare at the cam while poor Shaman hunkers down next door watching for when Cooper and Shaman leave. This would be so much easier if I could just work with them inside. I almost feel like seeing about renting some "office space" and moving them in there to work with. We have plenty of entire unoccupied buildings that are an eyesore to the community. Those would be perfect to set up as shelters. :(

Too bad I can't afford something like this but then of course I have to microchip them.

https://meowspace.biz/

Last edited:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Are you sure shaman isn't ill? That quantity of food you mentioned is a decent amount, even if she doesn't get it regularly (ie shopping days, of which I wouldn't worry about. It is what it is on those days).

Putting cloths down in their napping spots when they're not there to see it, then moving the cloths around to the other napping spots, again when the cats/Cooper aren't/isn't around to see it, approximates scent swapping.

I don't know if that would help but it might, to intermingle the other cats' scents so that shaman becomes more comfortable with Cooper, since that's your biggest issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.