From Feral To Lap Cats

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Ugh Mom again. Downstairs and throwing fits so the cats are delayed eating lunch. Always an issue with this woman. I never have a moment of peace :(

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats are suddenly afraid of the house. They were fine up to an hour ago and then bam they all got scared. I'm not sure what's happening? Nothing going on in the street. And the dogs were taken away so it isn't them. Cats are usually pretty good at picking up bad vibes and I don't know. Not to mention the continuous fights. :(

This is a horrible situation. I hope they return. If not I'm going to miss them very very much. :(

Last edited:

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Nope. I looked up at the roof and nothing up there

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
So I figured a way of getting the food out to the cats. I have one of those canvas grocery bags. I put the clean dishes, measuring spoon I use for them, water bowls and bag of food in that. Carry a huge pot of water in the other hand. That way I can serve Cooper first, Shadow second and Shaman 3rd but I'm thinking I may switch that and start feeding the more timid one first as by the time I get Shaman's food in the bowl he's done eating. But I can not come inside during any of that time.

Breakfast line has formed. haha I feel like adding crushed catnip to their water or food so they can be either happy or sleepy; hence no fighting. At the moment I'm playing Christmas music for them. It seems to be relaxing them.

Well I thought Shaman was there. She hasn't been seen in 18 hours. I should have paid more attention. She was whining and looking at the house before running off scared. Hasn't been seen since. Yes the other 2 also ran off scared but they returned. I'm crying over what may have happened. I may never see Shaman again. I wish I could protect these cats. But Mom is the thorn in my side over these cats. I'm crying over this situation. Not my sweet Shaman. Please I can't lose a 3rd cat in 2 months time. I just can't. She was the first to come to me. :(

Now the question: I know the 30 minute rule as suggested by Jackson Galaxy but what about this situation? Would you say 30 minutes even if they stop to play, fight or chase at 10 minutes into their meal?

Last edited:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
When they stop after 10 minutes, I guess it depends on how frequently they return to eating within the 30 minute time frame--if I understand this right. The 30 minutes is how long to leave the food out?

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes 30 minutes is for how long to leave the food out before taking away until the next feeding. But only because of straggler cats. So if all 3 cats are there at meal time and eat for like 5 or 10 minutes then start following me, chasing, checking the other food bowls and so on should I then take the food bowl inside. Jackson Galaxy really stresses the importance of timed feedings vs free feeding for health reasons as well as behavior problems. Example: If Cooper is sneaking food throughout the day but Shadow and Shaman only eat at certain times then of course at meal time Cooper will be more interested in playing vs eating like Shaman and Sopdet eat.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
See Jackson Galaxy doesn't go into detail about feral cats although he advocates for them. You would think after all of his years of experience he'd have something on how to adapt his methods to feral cat colonies.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
And I'd let Shaman come inside the door to eat but then I need to find a way of containing her so she won't roam the basement (Mom thing) and I would need several pet gates for this. This is such a tragedy as she doesn't get to eat a lot. I'm so scared for her.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
should I then take the food bowl inside.
I think so, yes.

Are there any stores around you that might sell inexpensive baby gates? Target, Walmart, or even a Goodwill ...now that I think about this, would she need that or would a big cardboard box, cut up so that it could be used to make a temporary enclosure for however you need it (three sides, four sides), work?

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats are weird and do not like going anywhere near cardboard boxes. And my frozen shoulder prevents me from disguising. And I only have 50 cents til February, sadly due to car plates and stocking up on more food as well as bills.

Shaman still seems very scared of something. It's the house. Something is wrong. Cooper is avoiding the house for some reason. Even the neighbors dog is cowering in fear so something is going on here.

I'm really crying over this. I wanted to make this house safe for the cats and guess I can't even do that :(

Last edited:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Even if you cut out/ removed the bottom and top, and one of the sides so that it's just a three sided barrier? You could even drape something lightweight like a colored sheet over the sides if you needed to, and it would be easy to move around.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I have to find a very large cardboard box to do this as the entrance is kind of big and then hiding from Mom is the issue.

Shaman will be dead of starvation, sadly before she even pokes her head inside a cardboard box, covered or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.