From Feral To Lap Cats

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Then that could explain Shaman's recent reaction to me. She was fine until I hurt my toe a week and a half ago. Maybe I smell different than what she knows me by. I was limping a lot more on Friday when she ran away scared as I approached. And maybe explain why just before I lost Treasure she'd sit forever waiting for him to come eat with her only to hiss and growl at him when he came up

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok I ran a towel over Cooper when petting him. I then snuck in a pet with same towel on Shadow and finally did it with Ambrose. Just waiting now on Shaman although she is a bit funny about towels, unlike the others. I read that this also makes them smell the same. The vanilla thing doesn't work with them.

Speaking of Shaman, I saw her in the yard two houses up just now. She looked so sad and lonely looking for her friend and I called to her and said "Let walk the yard." She came over and stood right there until we literally walked the yard. She wouldn't go eat or anything else. So yea I think cats understand us more than we give them credit for. So glad it's warmer today.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Also someone on NextDoor app contacted local shelters for me (I had no idea she would do that) and they are donating a total of 10 winter shelters to me, knowing about my hand with severe nerve damage. They know I only have 4 cats now but wanted to be sure any visiting cat has shelter during the extreme weather. We're in for another bad winter here.

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
Also someone on NextDoor app contacted local shelters for me (I had no idea she would do that) and they are donating a total of 10 winter shelters to me, knowing about my hand with severe nerve damage. They know I only have 4 cats now but wanted to be sure any visiting cat has shelter during the extreme weather. We're in for another bad winter here.
Thats great news..u r getting some shelters for the KITTIES
:yess: :petcat::):heartshape::clap2::cheerleader::woohoo::catlove::catrub::catman:

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
That’s amazing! So glad you have a little local support and the kitties will stay so warm!

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Things are getting back to normal, somewhat. Cooper starts fights all the time though with the other cats, the neighbors, the neighbors kids. Waiting on my shipment of peacemaker from Jackson Galaxy to arrive.

Think this would work on my Mom? lol

Last edited:

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I got a $100 gift card as a gift from Amazon. I want to spend it on the cats. I do have shelters so don't need. I have 30 lbs of straw I got for $5 at my local farmer market. I have plenty of food around here. No electrical outlets outside. What can I get for the cats and are self warming blankets ok? The shelters are underneath the porch in the usual cat area. I need to order before Noon today Central as we are getting cold temps on Friday (again). Thanks.

Oh and edited to add that the person who gave me the $100 gift card also bought me enough cat food to last the winter although I still work 18 hours a day for when winter is over

Last edited:

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
Honestly you sound very prepared!

I’ve never cared for an outdoor cat during a hard winter, but what about a heated water bowl? I don’t know if you have issues with their water turning to ice.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Water does turn to ice but sadly no electrical outlet outside so I don't know if there's any way around it. :(

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep, I already have everything on that list except for heated bowls and that I can't have because we have no electric outside :(

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like you are doing a great job then.

Feeding wet food can help them with their moisture intact as well.

Maybe buy disposable bowls so that if they are out there you can put a disposable bowl of water out there?

I am not too familiar with dealing with freezing temps and iced water.

Hopefully someone has some tricks to help?

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess I could get a warm food bowl and heat up inside before taking out to them? I don't have a microwave and if you've been following my other posts my Mom is not keen on the idea

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
$100 from the sky for kitties - woohoo!

Didn't have time at the moment to look at what the lists that were in the links - so pardon me if I reiterate something in those lists that you already haveI'd have said heated water bowl, bc water's so critical for them in the winter. If no electrical outlet in the area, sounds like that's not viable (altho since it sounds like shelters are next to your basement - is it possible to run an electrical cord down to the basement? That's what we did with our detached garage - - -ran outdoor rated extension cords from shelters into the garage. It did involve a tiny drill hole, but it gave us peace of mind that the outside shelters now had heated pads (7 out of 10 of our shelters are now inside the garage). If you have shelters (like the easy double Rubbermaid ones) already, great, but if not - -that's the first line of defense. Next (besides water) I'd get straw (not hay) so you can stuff the shelters full for further cosiness. Another few things off the top of my head - something - bricks, etc. to put your shelters slightly off the ground. The ground sucks so much heat, shelters off the ground even by a few inches are a huge help. You could also look at the microwavable pet discs that are heated in the microwave and then placed in the shelters. The heat's supposed to last for hours, but I will admit, ours never seemed to stay even remotely warm beyond an hour.

The other option's always food! They'll eat a ton more this winter - - bc bulking them up and thickening their coats is a big insulator for them!

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks. Yea Mom won't allow drilling (as you probably remember) so the heated bowls is kind of out of the question. I can stock up on more food though and just add a lot of water to the wet so they get more hydration. We have bricks (like thousands) that my Dad was going to use for something but never did. Yep shelters provided by my local feral society (I suffer frozen shoulder and severe nerve damage from a fall/fracture last year) so I depend upon ready made items. Thanks for the ideas :)

Status
Not open for further replies.