From Feral To Lap Cats

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Shaman got down to a spot in the tree that she likes to go to and is easy to get out of. It's her favorite spot in the tree. She's sleeping now. I don't know if it's registered yet that her best friend and litter mate is gone or if she even misses him yet as he did like to annoy her from time to time.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Why do cats sit with one paw up? Shaman does this periodically, has for the past year. Just curious if it's a medical problem or just her way of sitting and relaxing.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Poppy-cat does that now and then, the only time I've seen this is when he's sitting on the outside of the closed deck door, looking around while waiting for me to open the door so he can come in.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I walked the yard today, something I did with Treasure. Shaman went with me and we came upon a 9 inch garter snake. In the span of 10 seconds, Shaman was nowhere to be seen. She would have had to run 1/4 acre in that amount of time. She hasn't returned in 3 hours. Brave cat huh?

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Snakes don't bother me. My cousin had a python when we were growing up that was actually quite sweet.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
If you ever volunteer at a wildlife rescue you'll soon get over your fear of these critters. We had a sweet resident raccoon they called Jack. I was preparing food for the squirrels when I hear a chattering and looked down with Jack looking up at me. His caretaker kept a close watch on him. The possums, as adorable as they can be, are filthy to say the least. I'd no sooner clean their cages and they would poop all over on it again. They growl and hiss but let you put a finger even just an inch away and they pass out. haha We even had a resident possum that was 4 times the size of a regular possum and an albino. He was non releasable, naturally and he just had the run of the place. Him and the resident coyote. haha yep. Then we found a black rat snake outside in 5 degree weather. He was barely alive but we brought him in so he could hibernate for the winter. While a lot of these animals may scare us they do serve a purpose.

The snake survived btw and was released in late spring. But as I said you learn or have to learn to overcome your fear of all these critters when you do volunteer work at such a place. And you get to see the real beauty of them and their nature as well as the role they play on the earth.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
We had a 6 foot bull snake in our backyard once. We took some pictures and watched it, and thankfully it decided to move on. But I’m glad I saw it first and we didn’t surprise each other.

I tell Olive that snakes, coyotes and hawks are why she can’t go outside. She just says “meow” :rolleyes:

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Ambrose got hurt in a fight. Here we go again. Shadow is hissing at him now and they have been best of friends since she returned. Is it because of his injury? Just curious. I noticed shaman was like that with Treasure as well the day after he came back up to his fateful death so I'm not sure what is happening? Does an injury "smell off" to a cat? If that's the case then that could also explain Shaman's fear of me at the moment (the badly stubbed toe). Sorry just curious.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've wondered if cats have reactions like Shadows because an illness or injury represents weakness and/or is detectable by a predator, which puts the healthy cat at risk as well?

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Not sure. Shaman seems a bit leery of me since I injured my toe. Is it weakness or maybe we no longer smell like us due to injury/illness. Don't cats mostly go by smell more than sight?

Status
Not open for further replies.