From Feral To Lap Cats

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
So Noobs 1 is now known as Ambrose. Noobs 2 is now named Cooper. Then we have Treasure. (That makes 3 tabbies) The names are under each photos but if Gmail messes up as usual, Treasure is laying on the concrete, Cooper is the one walking through the grass and Ambrose is the darker orange tabby. Then we have Sopdet formerly called Wichapi. Shaman that you already know. And forever in my heart, no matter where she is now is Shadow. Last but not least my Pepper who I had from 1983 to 2006. I don't have one of Harley that I had to give to someone as Pepper was tearing him apart but he is the gray tabby version of Treasure. Mind you I didn't have access to a camera phone or anything back in those days with Pepper and Harley and so that is the best photo I have of her.

Shaman
Shaman relaxes on box.jpg

Treasure
My boy Treasure.jpg

Shadow
Sleepy Shadow.jpg

Ambrose
Ambrose formerly known as Noobs 1.jpg

Cooper
Cooper formerly known as Noobs 2.jpg

Sopdet
Sopdet formerly known as Wichapi.jpg

Pepper

Pepper.jpg

Last edited:

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Sopdet, formerly Wichapi watching me watch her.

52EFA4F7-DA8B-417D-8718-CAE71D1078B7.jpeg

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Sopdet reminds me a lot of Shaman when I started feeding. If the food isn't out there when Sopdet wants she leaves pouting (however a cat pouts lol).

Right now Treasure is outside chasing crickets lol

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I wish there was a way to get Sopdet to trust me. The methods I used with the others are not working on her. She sees how well I get along with Treasure (who is her buddy) so I don't know. The blink and turn away does not work, in fact it scares her. She may never tame down like the other 4 have. And that's sad sh's so pretty and deserves to be rehomed somewhere.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Ugh sitting around waiting for a laptop delivery is horrendous. The longer I have to wait the longer it takes me away from working with the cats. And I am depending upon this laptop so I can make money to feed them. Ugh

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Unless they hurry up delivering my new laptop I may not be able to come online for a very long time. This Chromebook is driving me crazy and I'll need to sell other devices as a result to feed the cats. I already lost a sum of $300 in past month due to the Chromebook issue.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Great news all and I'm very excited. Last night, after getting my new laptop, I installed The Sims 3 and was playing that and to my surprise, Sopdet, curious about the sound came up to 4 feet within me. She was hesitant and not quite sure whether to trust me or not, but she has been observing me with Treasure for the past 2 weeks. Her and Treasure are play buddies, although Shaman doesn't like her. I did the slow blink and look away and noticed from the corner of my eye she stopped and looked at me with surprise.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Although I hope I don't have to wait 2 months with Sopdet as we're having another early horrible winter here this year like last year. Hopefully someone can give me more tips about Sopdet. We only have 6 weeks and early forecast of below zero after 6 weeks.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Severe storms again. And these must be life threatening as the storm drill didn't work with Shaman and Treasure this time. I'm so sad and worried, not just for them because they have survived everything but if anything happens to us how will they then survive after becoming dependent. My heart is heavy. Trees are being knocked down all over here. Copperheads are being spotted due to being misplaced by the storms (and Im just 10 miles from St. Louis.) Cars are even being blown away. The poor cats if anything happens to me they'll feel so abandoned after the hoarding tragedy they came from :(

I need to see if they're ok now. The storm passed but no show. And lots of damage in our yard. :(

Last edited by a moderator:

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Update: My neighbor is taking the cats. They're used to seeing her and she can take them inside and separate them unlike me. It's for their own good and best interest. Treasure turned on Shaman and is not letting her eat. And we all know the situation with feeding them all in different parts of the yard. Their survival is more important than me getting joy watching them.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
I know it’s heartbreaking, but it sounds like you are making a very loving decision for them. With all the storms, rain, heat waves, fireworks etc it sounds like outside is not a rear place for them.

Would your neighbor let you visit once in a while? I know how much you poured your heart and soul into taking such good care of them, and how bittersweet it must be letting them go. :heartshape:

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Well the neighbor informed me her husband said no. I did make sure that Shaman ate today. I hated doing it but I had to run Sopdet off (at least until Shaman ate) and got Treasure and Shaman to be buddies again. I don't have anything against Sopdet as she's just acting like a cat, but Shaman was here first and Shaman will have a special place in my heart. I'm looking at the excess of bricks outside and notice I can use those as barriers to place bowls for them to eat without seeing other cats come. Shaman has been hiding there past few days anyway as it's cooler weather so when Mom is napping I'll be arranging the bricks for them to go in and eat and yet Mom won't see for when she gets into one of her moods. My neighbor is talking to her husband to at least take in Sopdet and tame her. We'll see but the husband didn't want to be caring for 5 cats

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Surely, there's something I can do with these bricks to separate the cats when eating and still not be seen by Mom

Bricks.jpg

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Taking Shaman to emergency vet. I didn't realize that Treasure was so mean to her this past week but she's a very sick and hungry girl because of him. What the heck? They were best of buddies until Sopdet started hanging around. I thought neutered males had no interest in females. Sopdet is also spayed as her ear is also tipped. Guess I was wrong in the interest situation. My heart is breaking for Shaman. She's grieving the loss of her friend as well as not feeling well. :(

Last edited:

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Well sadly Shaman and Treasure are no longer best friends. I'm en route taking her to vet. Treasure picked up with another cat (I thought fixed males and females took no interest in one another, guess I was wrong), and has for the past week chased Shaman (who was his sibling and best friend, away from the food bowl so Sopdet could eat. This morning I found Shaman in a bad way, hiding/cowering from Treasure and Sopdet as well as very hungry. I was used to her just eating without being watched. I had no idea this was going on. I love them all but Shaman came to me first and I'll do what I can to ensure Shaman eats. Even if Treasure has to move on. Sadly as I love him too. My heart is truly breaking for Shaman as she is not only ill but lost her best friend.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Don't do anything yet other than getting shaman healthy :vibes::crossfingers: because treasure could very well have been reacting to shamans illness which may have been occurring for a bit. Some cats reject sick cats.

Also keep in mind and be prepared for continued odd behavior from the rest towards shaman because now she's going to smell like the vet, which is to say, not normal.

Sending good healing thoughts!!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
This is sort of a copy of my reply in your other thread - I want to be sure you see this.

Don't do anything yet about Treasure other than getting shaman healthy :vibes::crossfingers: because Treasure could very well have been reacting to shamans illness, which may have been occurring for a bit. Some cats reject sick cats.

Also, be prepared for continued odd behavior from the rest towards shaman because now she's going to smell like the vet, which is to say, not normal. It's possible you could use vanilla to help with that;

From valanhb;
You put a dab of vanilla extract under the chins, at the base of their neck (by the spine) and at the base of the tail (again, on the spine not the underside of the tail!) of all of the cats to make them smell the same. Cats recognize each other by scent, so if that kitty smells the same as "me", the he must be a friend. Kitty logic at it's finest.
This trick works when introducing cats into the household, and also when one of them has been to the vet and therefore smells different to the others who didn't go.

Sending lots of good healing thoughts!!

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Actually I have both of them here being observed as I want to rule out if he's sick as well. I'm just waiting at the moment. I'm curious though, why would he have always been friendly with Sopdet (female) and yet Shaman who up til recently despised Sopdet? I thought that fixed males don't get along with fixed females and vice versa. But all 3 are for sure fixed (noticeable tipped ear)

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Well so far both check out healthy and no injuries.Well besides Shaman not being allowed near the food and water bowl the past couple of days. I had no choice but ran Sopdet off. Whether she returns I have no idea but I would rather she find someone else to feed her (as I learned someone 3 blocks behind me is also feeding them) then to watch Shaman not eat. Treasure will just have to deal with it or go join Sopdet. But Shaman was here first. It just seems that Treasure is wanting to mate with Sopdet the way he hangs around her but all 3 are fixed so this behavior is strange to me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.