From Feral To Lap Cats

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Like I mentioned we have had over 100 mph winds, we had severe storms, we had the city almost burn to ashes last 4th of July and the cats NEVER took off like this. And why would there be no animals/birds/insects at all? None. Even in severe storms with large hail the cats poke their heads out and run for food or you see a bird hopping to another branch. A drop of rain every 10 minutes after all the storms they endured before is not going to terrify them. No storms here and in fact sun is out and warm.

So much for cats bonding with their humans. I feel so lonely with the cats not here. Even if I can't be outside with them at the moment. I know I have my Mom but all she does is scream at me every hour on the hour about stupid stuff. I think I found someone to take over though if they come back and after they get used to that person. I can't do this anymore. The constant tears and heartache is a reason I quit watching the bald eagle cams. As much as I love these cats I just can't put myself through this any longer. :(

Last edited:

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
UPDATE on Cooper:

So I went outside to greet him as he finally came for supper. He was NOT the friendly cat I saw for the last time February 5, 2020. He was actually quite mean and vicious. I have no idea what happened but looks like bonds between cats and humans can be broke and they don't live in the moment, like "experts" claim. :(

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
So crazy stuff. Last night Treasure and Sopdet were sleeping in the cat area. On the side where I feed Shaman was Shaman, Shadow (yep they're friends again) Spirit and Gypsy. They were having a good time eating. Treasure got scared of something and jumped down into the stairwell in the cat area and Cooper comes. This was at Midnight so obviously he doesn't have a human. Treasure was actually scared of Cooper although Sopdet was not phased by it. Cooper finished eating and left without incident. Treasure goes into his tent and Sopdet stayed on the utility cart. Meanwhile in Shaman's area, she finished eating and headed back to neighbors yard. Spirit, Gypsy and Shadow made their way to around the cat area but as soon as Shadow saw or smelled Treasure she high tailed it to where Shaman went. Spirit and Gypsy just boldly entered the enemy camp but no fights and stayed there for 30 minutes or so. Sopdet got along with them all. Treasure behaved (if you can believe that) and went to sleep. Then Ellie Mae and Cherry Blossom (the possums) showed up and Ellie Mae went into the other tent. George and Patty (the raccoons) came along and joined the party. So we had at one time 4 cats, 2 possums and 2 raccoons in the cat area. In Shaman's area, Paul and John Boy (the juvie raccoons) were inspecting the pet carrier seeing if any goody or morsel of food was left behind. Haven't seen CG for a few days but CG does make the rounds to all the different colonies as confirmed by other caretakers here. And no I was not up at the time watching, I get up early in the mornings though and check the replays from the cams.

I just wish Shaman and Treasure were friends again but that will never happen I suppose. At least the others are getting along.

Last edited:

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
That's so cute that the possum went into the tent!...What are the raccoons like, do they get along with the cats? I always wondered about raccoons and if they would hurt cats.
The raccoons and the cats get along. They don't bother the cats at all. They grunt more with other raccoons then they do the cats. Once in awhile a grouchy raccoon will snap at Ellie May but she just bares her teeth and the raccoon backs off. I saw Treasure swat at a raccoon and the raccoon just looked at him with a quizzical look and go back to eating.

In fact this gaze of raccoons is more docile then the other ones. I can actually walk right past them like within an inch and they just ignore me.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats eating with the raccoons. Hard to see but Sopdet is down there with the raccoons.

I need an IR illuminator so we can see better.
9D506EAC-629B-4F15-9E18-44F1C36529F4.png
C361A184-668D-4232-972E-72A3A0039930.png

Last edited:

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Now all I need to do is figure out how to get Shaman to eat. Her and Treasure are bitter bitter enemies now so cats really do not forgive like I was told. This is going on 6 months with these two who used to be best of friends. Shaman is getting dangerously close to starving as a result of Treasure. I'm really afraid she's going to die if an expert does not intervene. Our shelters here won't get involved because they're feral. I asked so I know this to be a fact. I have been at wits end with this feeding situation since October. No matter what on of the other cats follows me and Shaman runs houses up the street and hides. Treasure follows me everywhere and so since these two are no longer friends, she won't hang around. Shaman refuses to eat unless I'm with her. I can't do that because of crazy lady inside the house peeking out the windows and watching my every move. The situation here never ever resolves or gets better. And last I checked a starving animal is equal to animal abuse. I'm not going to repeat the 5 million times I stated why different feeding areas in the yard is not feasible but I have mentioned in this entire thread the obstacles I face. And Shaman is the first one to have come to me when I was ill and injured and now I may wind up losing her. I can't get a pet crate to put Treasure in while eating so Shaman can eat because the pet store is too far to leave Mom alone and can't have it delivered by Amazon because of the COVID 19 (my distribution center is not delivering non essential items) and also Mom inspects EVERYTHING that is delivered to the house. Also the neighbors will not get involved or help because Mom watches them as well. Mom is a menace but that's another story. That was a thought at one time but that doesn't work. And Treasure learned how to unzip that cat tent to get out. This is horrible. I don't want Shaman to die or move on. To be honest, if any of the cats move to another colony I wish it was Treasure (at sweet as he is) but he is the one that is chasing the others away. And when I talk to behaviorists and vets it's like talking to one of the raccoons about this situation. None of them care or want to help or even give advice. :(

I'll probably never see Shaman again as a result, in case anyone cares. :(

Well looks like she's gone forever. I have called to her and everything. No one cares I suppose. :(

Last edited:

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Shaman returned at long last, but after I had to rescue a poor raccoon that hobbled into my stairwell and seemed unable to get out from under my chair. I used a long handled stick to move the chair as injured animals could hurt you. Of course at the time I had no idea the raccoon was injured but the raccoon seemed small enough to be a juvie. I watched as he hobbled off. Why was a raccoon out at Noon in the snow? And I sure do hope he/she will be ok. The raccoon looked so helpless. It wasn't sickness btw (like the zombie disease) but looks like he either hurt his back leg or something like that. He seemed alert and well other then that but I still felt so bad for him.

View media item 423420

Last edited:

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Ugh I couldn't get on here to edit in time. Anyway here he is trying to make his way to under my chair. And wanted to mention snow was not sticking to the ground but off and on snow flakes were falling. I thought I heard raccoon chatter around 10am but I dismissed it at that time of day thinking it was just Sopdet as she never makes cat sounds. Only sounds Sopdet makes are raccoon chatter and all.

Poor guy could have been there suffering all night long and it's my fault for not being more observant :(

Last edited:

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I have no idea of Cassidy (the raccoon that hobble away yesterday) is fine or not as it's hard to tell on cam at night which raccoon is which. I only tell George and Patty apart as George is dark and huge and Patty is near white and smaller. I'm still praying for Cassidy though and really concerned why he didn't make an effort to get away when I came outside. I'm sure he could have crawled back out under the chair right? Like when I went around to fill Shaman's food bowl?

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Mealtime with these cats is so much fun. haha Cooper here starving or he thinks he's starving. Sopdet hiding in the tent, Treasure clinging to my leg begging for attention and Shaman on other side of house wanting me to stay with her while she eats but runs the minute Treasure appears.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Another 24 hours almost since Shaman was last seen. The other cats no show since supper last night. No bad weather. I failed again as usual. :(

Last edited:

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Beware of 9 Lives Indoor Formula. I bought some 20 lb bags because of the stay at home order and now my cats are getting violently ill. There isn't a recall from what I'm seeing but wanted to give a heads up. Now there's no other pet food near me to replace. 8 more lives are in dire need of help but crazy lady here won't let me help. My heart is breaking in two over this situation. They would be better off finding another caretaker because I just failed miserably. :(

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Looks like 9 lives has changed their recipe again. All my cats (some being slow eaters) are getting sick and vomiting. Other caretakers in my area have reported the same issue.

Shaman no longer loves me. So this junk about lifelong bonds is false. I just witnessed first hand. I can't do this anymore and deal with daily heartaches. All I did for them as well. :(

Last edited:

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
The cats have been turned over to another caretaker who doesn't have as many issues as I have. My heart is shattered into a million little pieces. I'm not doing this again though and it's what's best for them. Between the stress of crazy lady here screaming all the time, and now the stores are depleted of pet food because of hoarders, or late deliveries from Amazon and/or Mom inspecting all deliveries this isn't the environment for them. I am allowed to visit but I'm not going to. The sooner they forget me and move on the better off they'll be. Hopefully they'll learn to trust another human as I'm sure they don't understand the reason for why I did this. But I can't sit here and let them die because of these daily obstacles. :(

Last edited:

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sending them and you all my love, hugs and prayers for success in whatever form it needs to be :vibes::crossfingers::hearthrob:

One of the things with these colonies from that hoarding situation is that there are 10 colonies in a one mile radius. So they usually find their way back. The caretaker that took the cats (well actually lured them with food) sent them back my way. They were only a few blocks from here as we have so many colonies from that hoarding situation. Remember there were 80 in that house that broke up into 10 different colonies when the human died and out of state relatives literally kicked them to the curb. She (the caretaker) said that Cooper and Treasure caused too much of a ruckus and fought each other as well as picked fights with her other cats injuring one of them and her colony is usually so peaceful. So she sent them packing back here by withholding food and naturally they (the cats) knew there would be food for them 5 blocks away. So back to square one. I did find some better quality cat food though while grocery shopping today. Still not a great environment for these cats though. Thanks to all who have tried to help with this situation over the almost one year I've been a member.

I guess that is true that ferals find their way back home or what they call home. So back to the worrying as it's obvious they want to stay here. Just wish the fighting (Me and Mom) and the cats would stop though. Sorry to have bored everyone.

Last edited:

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Shaman's best friend this week is CG and she runs from Spirit and Gypsy. What if she's the cat real estate agent, like here's a nice place for you to stay and once they're settled she looks for another client. It's funny how first she was friends with Ambrose, then Shadow, then Treasure, then Spirit and Gypsy and now with CG.They're all fixed so it isn't a hormonal thing and once she moves on to the next new best friend she runs from the others.

Status
Not open for further replies.