From Feral To Lap Cats

Status
Not open for further replies.

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes how are you doing @ Moonstonewolf?????Haven't heard anything from you since you said your mom evicted you....!!!!!Im sure we all would like to know you are okay

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi all. Sorry I have been MIA but I had a lot of urgent offline business to take care of. I only came online briefly to update PawBoost and our local TNR group. Anyway, more on that later. Right now I have something serious going on that I hope to get an immediate response to as first weather is warming up which means possible kittens and 2 not that I'm in a panic but we don't know what is going to happen because of this coronavirus going on. A lot of vets are soon to stop doing anything unless an emergency. Here's a post I made just moments ago to our local TNR facebook group. Hopefully someone has a suggestion.

Hi everyone. 10 days ago I posted about Cooper going missing and not seen since February 5th. I got a lot of good advice about what to do when checking for him at the shelters. He wasn't at the shelters and I kept my PawBoost post up near the top. Well good news. Last night while I was eating dinner, he made a visit to the food bowl. I saw him later on my Wyze Cam replay. He looks much more mature, acted more mature and has actually gained weight. I have no idea if someone saw my post, found him and brought him back anonymously, if he had a human the entire time that let him out at certain times and he visited because of the ferals in my backyard or if he just recently found a human. Either way I'm happy to see him. But here's my dilemma. For a year I've been trying to find an owner through posters, PawBoost and Next Door app and got not response. Should I assume he has no human and take him to be TNRd? What are the legalities of such and it turns out he has a human? We certainly don't want kittens although all the girls in the colonies here are TNRd as well as the males so he may not find an interested female. I just don't want to take him to be fixed and then an owner comes and sues me but I don't want him to be in misery from not being fixed. Suggestions? Thank you.

And I was so happy to see him return. It brought tears of joy to my face and things are back to normal as I saw Treasure chasing him off. haha
Anyone know about the neutering laws in St Louis MO when I'm not sure if he belongs to someone? Time is of essence I believe since weather is getting warm. Don't want him running out on busy intersection looking for a female.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, if we isn't neutered he was probably out finding ladies. Pretty common for a tomcat to disappear regularly. I assumed he was neutered like the rest.

Yeah, I'd have him neutered. Even if he has owners and they object, they can't sue you if he was on your property and you made a good-faith effort to find his owners.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, if we isn't neutered he was probably out finding ladies. Pretty common for a tomcat to disappear regularly. I assumed he was neutered like the rest.

Yeah, I'd have him neutered. Even if he has owners and they object, they can't sue you if he was on your property and you made a good-faith effort to find his owners.
Thank you. BTW: since he is tame would a regular vet be able to scan to see if he is microchipped?TNR locations here are too far for me to leave Mom alone for any length of time.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I found a little trick that helps ferals know you are no threat. (besides the blink look away method). If you have to approach, walk very very slowly. Watching how they interact with one another taught me this. Two enemy cats eating at same location, normally different times: One cat lying in cat tent. Enemy cat comes, senses the other cat. To avoid being pounced on the enemy cat takes a step, and 5 seconds later (I counted) takes a second step, not looking up or to the side but rather looking toward the ground. Make sure the steps are small. If you have to: practice at home inside. If you use a cane or walking stick outside because of uneven terrain, practice that, trying not to make a sound.

I did that today when I noticed Spirit and Gypsy were next door while their buddy Shaman was eating. Fortunately I have cams so I check the cams before I venture outside so I know which way to approach any area, even if I'm just taking out the trash. Anyway, employing that method, neither cat ran but rather just watched me. They observed Shaman and how she joyfully ran up to me for a pet and hug. And I slowly turned and walked the same way back into the house. They are eating with Shaman now.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
The birds will not stop eating the cats food. No matter what I do. They eat the wet food, they eat the dry food, they land on shiny objects, they ignore windchimes and other decoys, they walk completely inside pet carrier and grab the food. NOTHING deters them and this is tragic as we may be going on lockdown. Pet food at stores here are in short supply. I'm at wits end with this situation. Experts refuse to give advice. :(

Very sad right now. My girl, Shaman, has not been seen since Noon yesterday. The others are ok but this is the 2nd time in 2 months out of the 20 months she's been here she took off for a few days. What hurts about this is she was the first to come to me but since she and Treasure are now bitter enemies he may have run her off forever. I feel that the bond is broken. Because of Treasure I may never see her again :(

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
That works for most. For me sadly no as either going to doctor for Mom or Mom being downstairs and not able to feed.

Cats have gone missing again. All of them scattered frightened and running in different directs just before I came outside with their breakfast. I called to them and rang the "meal bell" but no one showed up. 2 hours and still gone. I'm worried that something disastrous (not to the cats but to humans) is going to happen. Strange activity going on next door in home but no one there. I feel weird going outside in fact, like something in the air. I hope these cats return one day but seems more and more they are going longer without coming. And all that I bought and did for them too :(

Last edited:

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I have no idea what scared them. We have been having tremors from the New Madrid fault line recently though so not sure if they sense something going on with it. The cats have been through foxes, severe thunderstorms, near fires from 4th of July fireworks, construction and all. So I see and felt nothing going on but all 7 of them took off terrified at the same time in all different directions. And I have 8 cams outside (not just for the cats but also security) and nothing popped up.

Even the one that walks through tornados, severe hail and 100 mph winds like it's an every day occurrence to get a bite to eat took off like a bat out of you know what and totally terrified which is Shadow.

Didn't notice but just now, even the birds and squirrels ran off terrified and it wasn't from the running cats, they started just moments before the cats got terrified. I thought there was a bond between us but I guess I was mistaken :(

Last edited:

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Almost 5 hours and not a sign of any animal, bird or insect in my area. Nothing. Like they walked through some portal to another dimension away from humans. Nothing raiding the cat food. Dead silent. Creeping me out to tell the truth.

Status
Not open for further replies.