From Feral To Lap Cats

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Update: I am going to start updating daily on this thread like a journal type thing like a few other members on here are doing on particular threads. That was the original intent of this thread anyway. It seems that what is a problem in the morning is not in the evening and vice versa. Or something works once and stops working or one tragedy after another often times the same tragedy over and over again. Half of these tragedies probably wouldn't exist if I moved my rear from the computer and actually did more than what I am doing for them. I have to figure out how to do some of this on my own. Thanks for all the advice you have given me. And so as to not bore everyone all the time this will be a once a day update (if anything interesting happens) or unless someone asks me a question.

Oh and I guess this was a pointless post but I posted something, realized it was the same old tragedy and wanted to edit the post.

Last edited:

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Well falling over a toilet (don't ask) and fracturing a humerus rendering you unable to do anything for a month is a tragedy. lol J/k You're correct. I do tend to panic a lot over the cats because I really do not want to make the mistakes with them that I made with Pepper and Harley. As I said before it was in my drinking days with them and I was a mean drunk. But if my fracture didn't happen, I wouldn't have been outside in the hot summer month trying to get warm and never would have noticed Shaman so I guess it was worth a fractured humerus and frozen shoulder. :)

Not much to update on but these cats love to fight right outside my window in the middle of the night when I"m trying to sleep. They can't go to the other part of the 1/4 acre backyard to fight they have to do it here. And half the time they give up fighting and walk away from each other. lol Shaman is having a hard time still adjusting to where to find the food on Fridays as I have to hide the bowls from my Mom. It may not be the best but I've scattered bits of the kibble on the driveway leading to the food bowl so she can follow the trail. I'm watching her now waiting for me to come out. I always feel like i"m a horrible mean person not going outside to be with her but Mom is downstairs and so that's the end of that, sadly which is another reason for all my panic every day. I still am surprised she wants anything to do with me because of these circumstances.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
So Cooper is now since Wednesday. Usually he's here every day stirring up trouble with the other cats although he's sweet. I am a bit concerned as he is a dumped pet but since no recent situation of cat on side of road I can only hold out hope that he either moved to another colony that he isn't run off all the time (we have 15 in a one mile radius as a result of that terrible hoarding situation of 80 + cats 2 years ago) or someone gave him a home like they did Ambrose. I only hope that he's happy where ever he is. Shaman has taken to eating only when Spirit and Gypsy come along and while Shaman runs to me for her hugs and pets when I come out, Spirit and Gypsy run and take cover under Mom's car. I need to up my food to 13 lb bags for Spirit and Gypsy though as I saw on cam they are severely underweight. Still not allowed to put traps on the property though (Ugh my Mom can be annoying at times but it is her property). Now here's the weird thing about the relationships. Shaman and Treasure are littermates and USED to be best of friends til he was injured in October around the time of my toe injury that isn't getting any better (my injury not his). Now they hate each other. Treasure and Sopdet have always been buddies. Still are. Shaman is friends with Spirit and Gypsy and tolerates Shadow whereas last year she was friends with shadow, then enemies (she and Treasure ran Shadow off for 5 months) and now she just tolerates her. Gypsy gets along with Sopdet and both are buddies but Gypsy and Treasure fight close to the death or at least that how it sounds at 1:30 am. Spirit plays with Treasure and both are fine with one another but can not stand Sopdet and the feeling is mutual from Sopdet. Shadow just likes to be left alone away from the drama I think. Hope that didn't confuse anyone. Anyway like I said I noticed that Spirit and Gypsy are underweight. Not a lot but still need to put on some weight to be healthy. So I'll need to bulk up the food somehow without having to sacrifice all my sleep (I work 18 hours a day doing surveys to feed them) but I can't afford all wet for these cats. Nor can I afford 6, sometimes 7 rolls of Freshpet a week for them. My only choices are from Dollar General or Save A Lot and I'm not trusting of the cheap store brands. Last night we had snow and sleet but light and nothing stuck to ground. My cam was exposed to the weather and still is working wonderfully. Nothing more to update but the cats all ate (except for Cooper who disappeared) and Ambrose who has a forever home. Sorry for the rambling and any confusing posts. I'm down with a fever and this toe is worrisome although I can't afford to care for myself. Cats come first.

Last edited:

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't you have a Walmart?
Walmart is too far away to leave my Mom. She won't let anyone come and sit with her because in her words strangers kill you. Costco is a 30 minute drive one way and I can't afford membership anyway. And naturally Sams is too far away as it's owned by Walmart. Sorry her words not mine. She's been this way though for the 64 years she's been my Mother so that isn't age related.

Also not sure if you saw earlier posts but anything that is delivered to the house she INSISTS on inspecting to be sure it's not cat related. She threw me out of house last fall over this she won't hesitate to do it again. So everything has to be bought, and kept in my car and snuck in when it's dark before setting burglar alarm or when she's napping.

Also Walmart in my city charges $19 for a 20 lb bag as well as factoring the money for gas to go there and back. Save A Lot is one mile from my house and for that same bag I pay $11. And since I go to that area for our Saturday night dinner (same strip mall) it just makes sense. Not to mention if I'm away from home longer than 45 minutes Mom literally calls the state troopers scared that I got gunned down or in an accident. She's done that a total of 50 times since I was 25 years old. Ugh It's a no win situation with her

Last edited:

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
By your own post, Cooper was there on Wednesday.
Ugh you're right. I'm down with a fever and it seems much longer then that. I'll edit the post then. I talk about my Mom and seems I'm getting worse then her. Losing track of days.

Last edited:

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Not much to update today except that Spirit and Gypsy lost out on eating a good portion of food yesterday because the other cats, the birds or the raccoon and possum last night got to it before them. I really only leave the food out at night so that the raccoon doesn't disturb the cats while they're sleeping scrounging for food although I haven't seen them hurt the cats. And the raccoons have been good as far as keeping the bugs under control so I pay them back. So I need to find a way of getting food to Spirit and Gypsy and keeping the raccoons and possums out. Yea right lol. I'll give them all some mackerel this morning. That may lure Spirit and Gypsy to the area. One thing I can't do though is leave a shirt out because of the rain. I left an old shirt I no longer wear out for Shaman and the others but with them it had a roof/cover over the area. This doesn't. Ugh.

Going for a hair cut today and am testing something that I used with Shaman to tame her and that is leave a bluetooth speaker (bluetoothed to my computer) outside with a podcast playing. Ironically Shaman loves hearing the speaker although it doesn't hold a charge very long. I used that speaker as well as my Amazon Echo dot to get Shaman used to house sounds. It may or may not work with Spirit and Gypsy. I don't play music at first, I put on a podcast and just let that play for them.

Why does it always rain/snow on the days that I need to leave the house? I can't let my hair get any shaggier then it is already.

Ok well hopefully I have something more interesting to update tomorrow morning then the feeding fiasco/commotion. haha

Poor Shaman has to eat in the rain as the others won't let her eat in the cat area. And no we do not have any other covered areas on the property. I feel so bad for her :(

She isn't able to eat. I'm so worried about this situation here. And Spirit and Gypsy are going on 2nd day of hardly any food. They got a little yesterday but like Shaman they get run off by one of the other cats. I'm a terrible caretaker. Especially if they starve. :(

Last edited:

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I wish I could leave the shelters out all the time but of course, Mom.

Right now I have a 22 lb bag of cat food in the car and trying to figure out how to get it inside without Mom seeing. Always, she is the thorn in this and I'm really getting tired of sneaking but she would do terrible things if she knew I was still feeding them. :(

Ok so Shaman did come to eat. The rain stopped (at least for the minute). The other cats are off. Mom was eating lunch so I snuck out to the car and brought the cat food inside. I'm having to place the food for Shaman,Spirit and Gypsy inside a pet carrier to keep the birds out, hopefully. So far none of the tips provided by experts keep the birds away from the food. I'm going to have to put the food all the way in the back of the carrier and hope that if the cats are hungry enough they'll go all the way in. Also need to cover the top of the carrier as the birds are pooping all over the lid. Ugh And I can't leave the house anymore today or Mom will throw her usual tantrums and evict me.

Last edited:

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I've done that but it's getting the food (whether a small container or not) into the house. Believe it or not my Mom insists on knowing what I get out of my own car.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
You know what is funny is that sometimes I accidentally call Shaman, Pepper. Although Pepper was a dark calico and Shaman is a white calico their personalities are 100% identical. It could be Pepper reincarnated for all I know. Only difference is that Pepper and Harley were indoors since kittens although Pepper was 10 years old when Harley's dying mother left him in the floorboard of my home. (She was a stray). And although Pepper and Harley really did not like each other there was never any of this bullying going on. The one would go into the one room and the other cat into the other room. They ate peacefully side by side and in a hurry so they could get away from each other. That's the only thing that is different between Shaman and Pepper. And funny but Shaman comes to me when I call her by both names but no other (like if I'm calling Treasure or Cooper)

Status
Not open for further replies.