From Feral To Lap Cats

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Ack: Cooper is screaming at the back door. He has food, 2 tents, ton of toys, lots of water, warm place to bed down, a playpen and he still is screaming like he's being abused or something.

And I think Shaman is just asking for food because she thinks she can. Like a kid if you give them chips after dinner or something they'll ask every night. I feel so mean not giving in to them though

Last edited:

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
It is 30 minutes before breakfast and Cooper is sitting outside staring at the door waiting. He sits in such a way I have a hard time even getting outside.

Is Cooper ever going to calm down or is he always going to be like this. I can't even earn money to feed them with his neediness. It would be one thing if this is summer and I can sit outside with them. Forget the hand warmers for them. I'll need body warmers for me if this continues.

Breakfast was not smooth today. Mom was on her way downstairs and so I had to feed Shaman outside with the bowl in the carrier. Of course Cooper is getting aggressive because he doesn't have a carrier. Ugh it never ends with them.

Last edited:

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm going to have to work non stop til I get two more pet carriers. Cooper and Shadow are showing aggression because they want their own. And I just got home from urgent care as I fell and broke my leg. Wonderful. No one in my neighborhood is willing to come and help feed them so it's hobbling outside on crutches.

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm going to have to work non stop til I get two more pet carriers. Cooper and Shadow are showing aggression because they want their own. And I just got home from urgent care as I fell and broke my leg. Wonderful. No one in my neighborhood is willing to come and help feed them so it's hobbling outside on crutches.
Oh my :alright:

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
These cams are wonderful things. Even though my physical presence outside is now minimized I can watch and talk to the cats. Cooper took off again (hopefully not getting into trouble again) and while he was gone Shadow claimed the playpen as hers. She thought I was going to scold her when I hobbled past the door to the bathroom, but I told her it's hers. She's whining for a pet carrier of her own though. haha

Shaman ran off somewhere as well. Hopefully she isn't getting tired of being chased off. Anyway here's the set up so far. I'm letting the possums and raccoons clean the stairwell the next couple of nights. I move the pet carrier inside though.

This is how I set it up just before tripping over Shaman.

1576091041524.png

Last edited:

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
These cams are wonderful things. Even though my physical presence outside is now minimized I can watch and talk to the cats. Cooper took off again (hopefully not getting into trouble again) and while he was gone Shadow claimed the playpen as hers. She thought I was going to scold her when I hobbled past the door to the bathroom, but I told her it's hers. She's whining for a pet carrier of her own though. haha

Shaman ran off somewhere as well. Hopefully she isn't getting tired of being chased off. Anyway here's the set up so far. I'm letting the possums and raccoons clean the stairwell the next couple of nights. I move the pet carrier inside though.

This is how I set it up just before tripping over Shaman.

View attachment 311881
Nice and organized...U have some great ideas...And your setup looks good...Hope your leg gets better...Having broken bones in the winter is bad....Cause of the cold
.Hope you and your mom and the kitties make out ok....Im praying for ya...Take it easy on those crutches...Dont want u to fall again..

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks. Earlier I was outside, yes on crutches, walking up and down the driveway with Shaman because she was lonely when out of nowhere Cooper comes and attacks her. He's been doing that to her and Shadow both (like the way he attacked Shadow in the middle of the night in that video). He has some serious problems and I'm hoping a behaviorist can figure it out since he checks out physically healthy. I don't know. The entire demeanor of these cats changed 100% November 17th after Treasure limped back from whatever happened to him (just a few days before his passing). Sopdet and Shaman were with me on that day so it was not them that caused his distress or Coopers. I"m wondering more and more if there actually was a fight between Cooper and Treasure or if something else occurred that day.

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks. Earlier I was outside, yes on crutches, walking up and down the driveway with Shaman because she was lonely when out of nowhere Cooper comes and attacks her. He's been doing that to her and Shadow both (like the way he attacked Shadow in the middle of the night in that video). He has some serious problems and I'm hoping a behaviorist can figure it out since he checks out physically healthy. I don't know. The entire demeanor of these cats changed 100% November 17th after Treasure limped back from whatever happened to him (just a few days before his passing). Sopdet and Shaman were with me on that day so it was not them that caused his distress or Coopers. I"m wondering more and more if there actually was a fight between Cooper and Treasure or if something else occurred that day.
I know its hard..but try not to stress too much..You got to take of yourself in order to take care of the cats...

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I know that but if I don't feed them they die. I can't let Cooper just come and attack the others or even attack humans (which he is starting to do). I keep saying if someone comes here and he attacks them, I'm responsible for that since I'm their caretaker.

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
I know that but if I don't feed them they die. I can't let Cooper just come and attack the others or even attack humans (which he is starting to do). I keep saying if someone comes here and he attacks them, I'm responsible for that since I'm their caretaker.
You are right:):agree:

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Update as well as a couple of questions that are very important:

I'm going to get one of those hot hands or hand warmers (USB) and set up a chair with blankets to be outside with them. It looks like we're going to have a milder winter then predicted and even if I'm outside for 30 minutes 3x a day it's better than now. The fights and aggression started when the weather got too cold for me to be outside (about the same time of Treasure's injury just before his final demise). Cooper is bully and clingy, Shaman is timid and skittish while Shadow is somewhere in between. I have tons of blankets and honestly since my fracture 18 months ago it feels just as cold upstairs under a vent then it does standing outside.

So here's the situation. 3 cats one displaying (in human terms) jealousy when I spend time or even interact with anyone else, animal or human to the point of aggression. Of course it's not like an indoor cat that you can move the cat into a room and close the door. I can't keep this up especially if he attacks the wrong person. While I feel flattered that he loves me so much he's clingy I don't find this healthy. I have no idea what happened to him before he just showed up in my yard (Cooper I'm talking about) but he obviously was someone's pet who was just dumped instead of being neutered which I had to take care of. But it's been 8 months, shouldn't his hormones be balanced out by now? I understand he's barely over a year old but still I have no clue as to what is going on with him. I still have to stay close to the house to play and I even tried the play 30 minutes before eating meal and he gets aggressively mean if he doesn't eat first. I'm at a loss.

Also I need to figure a way of giving these cats more protein without Mom complaining about me using her fridge or deep freeze. I want this to supplement with the can and kibble I give them. But I"m not really understanding this concept and hopefully someone can guide me on this. I can't keep giving them mackerel as a steady diet of fish is not food for cats.

Last edited:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
But it's been 8 months, shouldn't his hormones be balanced out by now? I
Unless the surgery wasn't done correctly, yes. He might be one of those cats who is overly full of energy no matter his actual age, but you're right, at a year or so old he's still very much in the bratty/pain-in-the-rear teenager stage.

Some egg yolk? If you feed the white, that needs to be cooked but the yolk can be cooked or raw. If you use this try very small amounts at first, it can cause stomach upset...

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Unless the surgery wasn't done correctly, yes. He might be one of those cats who is overly full of energy no matter his actual age, but you're right, at a year or so old he's still very much in the bratty/pain-in-the-rear teenager stage.

Some egg yolk? If you feed the white, that needs to be cooked but the yolk can be cooked or raw. If you use this try very small amounts at first, it can cause stomach upset...
Thank you. Can egg be given daily if there is not stomach upset?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I believe so, yes, in small amounts. But, basically watch to see how their poops are (if you are able to), and I think I'd skip a day or two, --alternate with the mackerel, and then some days don't give anything extra.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So, I mentioned your situation with Cooper to Dean, and he wondered if maybe Cooper came from a hoarding situation, or in other words something/someplace where he's had to really fight and scramble for his food, and maybe never got any love.

Now that he's with you he's having a hard time adjusting his "thinking" to realize that food will be there, and that you will be there. Maybe keep feeding him in a special place that's just for him, which is to say keep doing exactly what you're doing, and I think you're right, if you can spend time with him/them, he'll relax.

Did they ever determine what was making that incredible sound?

Status
Not open for further replies.