From Feral To Lap Cats

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Either way it's a situation that I have no idea what to do about it. If I re home the cats another colony from the same hoarding condition moves in and the cycle continues. We have a total of 9 or 10 colonies as there were well over 80 cats wandering in and out of that 2 room house. Yet I am here jumping up every 20 minutes because of the Mom alert. Soon there will be snow. How am I supposed to hide a shelter for these cats in 3 minutes time trudging through snow to hide their stuff or shelters. She watches from every window and gets upset that I'll hurt myself, or she may fall and I won't hear her when in the back yard. And as I just stated even if the cats do move on she'd just find something else to scream and complain about. Either I'm up too early in the morning, my top doesn't match my jeans, I'm drinking too much coffee, the list goes on. That aspect never changes. But the one thing that will no doubt as it has happened before is if I bring the cats inside she would have her severe allergy flare up, even 2 flights upstairs. And cats fighting usually is noisy so she'd know even if her allergies don't tell her. And the 2nd thing is I'd be in the bushes with them. While it's true I probably should have thought this through before setting out food for them (actually more of an offering to Shaman for her appearance at bad times) these cats look to me trusting to take care of them. I realized that when I saw an extremely injured Treasure limp back to the house for water and rest Thursday evening. How can I betray that trust by sending him off to someone else? He's already been abandoned at least once and then kicked to the curb. And yet all my money is gone because of prior vet bills and food. I have no money to even get straw for these cats. I ask for advice and I got a lot of great advice here but my health prevents me from constructing a cat shelter. See when I fell in June of 2018 I not only fractured my humerus but I also sustained severe nerve damage in my hand. Not having insurance and money I can't afford to go to a doctor to fix. So mobility is an issue for me. (Which btw it was at that time of my injury Shaman showed up).

I have posted over and over and over again asking for help with a catio or shelter to be placed behind the garage (on Next Door app as those people are close by) and got no response. I've had numerous GoFundMe's posted and no one bothered to donate. Even posting photos of the cats and wanting the money to help with that. So I'm at a total loss. My mobility issues as well as the Mom situation prevents me from properly watching over these cats. Now I have today's stress of Sopdet and an added stress that an injured Treasure is off in those dangerous bushes looking for her. I suppose unless you live with these issues it's hard to fully comprehend. :(

And regardless of what the internet says, I know it was 50 below zero (with wind chill factors). I saw that on my thermometer which matched the local news stations reports. I lived through it. I worried and lost sleep for weeks worried if Shaman and the others would survive out there. So yea, I'll find my local news weather report for last year but it was that cold for real. We in st louis live between 2 rivers which cause the cold we have due to the humidity as well. Not to start an argument but like I said I lived here for 63 years that I've been on this earth and while it normally gets cold last year it was the worst. All of the Midwest was bad. I don't want to go through another winter worrying about these cats but again I'm not going to betray their trust by re homing them. With their history they may never trust another human if I give them away and they'd just be dumped again.

Last edited:

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Well off to locate Sopdet. I really hope she isn't captured and being abused (especially after hearing a cat scream) The only cats I know that the scream did not come from was Treasure and Shaman as both were sleeping in view of the cam that happened. Ugh the daily stress.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I know it's been said and I"m not trying to stir the pot but how do we know that cats live in the moment? I'm sure none of us really asked and got an answer I just feel that if something bad happened to Sopdet (since she wasn't fully trusting of me) that she could have died feeling all alone. If she died. Treasure is getting worse about her and I'm scared I'll lose him as a result. (eye may get infected). Ugh I'm in a tragic situation here. :(

I have learned that some cats do hold grudges and don't forget. That I know for real as a result of something years ago that happened to a cat by my uncle. I'm just asking this because if she was taken and abused, (and I do try and prepare for worst case scenario) she may never trust me again if she is found and taken care of. She wasn't fully trusting of me to begin with, however I was close and now this tragedy happens. I get no help or advice from resources by me on this crisis. :(

Last edited:

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks all for the kind words. Trust me, Sopdet's death will not be in vain. And if this had not happened to her, Treasure would still be here too. I'm still numb but I have to remain strong for the others, especially Shaman who lost her best friend and litter mate last night. In comparison to what happened yesterday the raccoons I worried so much about are mild (at least that's nature, as much as it pains me something can go wrong there) I caught this last night and it seems that Cooper was here. He wasn't taunting the raccoon and the raccoon showed no interest in him. I have no idea why my neighbors insist on putting food out in my area after dark and sadly my power was out during that time. Maybe the neighbor chose that time so as not to be caught? Anyway long video but 30 seconds after the start you'll see the raccoon lower left of video and then Cooper shows up. I know it's not Ambrose because he's stockier built then the others.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Sadly I'm afraid for Shaman. Right now she's on a dangerous branch of a tree. No matter which way she goes she'll fall to her death. And I can't reach and no one is coming to help.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
The branch is dangerous. If I get near she gets scared and goes further out. I don't know what scared her. Please I can't lose a 3rd cat in less than 24 hours.

1571586410989.png

sweet jane flash

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Try putting bowl of tuna fish on ground. Smell will waft up, I have never seen a Cat able to resist tuna fish. Good Luck and Patience of a cat to you MoonstoneWolf. We're keeping our paws crossed!!!

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok she's down to her usual spot in the tree. I know from that spot she can get down safely as she likes that spot she's in now. I'll let her rest for now as she obviously finds comfort there.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
The branch is very unstable as it was hit by lightning some months ago and although you can't see it the branch is dying. I don't have the strength due to nerve damage to get the branch removed and finding someone reliable to actually show up and do it for you here is horrible. Any of the other branches are fine but of course she had to go on the one that isn't safe. She's sleeping in the tree now.

Status
Not open for further replies.