From diarrhea to constipation?

dkb817

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Y'all are going to get so sick of my posts about cat poop, I swear it :crackup: :crackup: :crackup:

The latest update in the "What is going on in that litterbox??" saga:

Simon didn't have a bowel movement at all on Sunday and, if I remember correctly, he didn't go on Saturday either. However, he had watery stools/diarrhea for the three days before that, so I'd imagine he was mostly "cleaned out".

He's still urinating normally, eating normally, playing when he can. There's no growling or guarding when I feel around his stomach like you'd probably expect if it was a painful constipation issue. I completely changed his litter too, on the off chance that maybe it was just too dirty for his liking. He's now had two doses of the Proviable mixed in to his breakfast, but one wouldn't think the probiotic was what was binding him up so bad.

The vet is out of the office until Tuesday because of the holiday tomorrow, so I guess I'm just needing some reassurance that it's normal for cats to not have a bowel movement for a few days after a bout of diarrhea - and that I just need to wait it out and he'll go on his own.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn’t worry unless he shows signs of being ill etc. Merlin who has had chronic runs on and off, mostly on for 4-5 months now often doesnt go every day. He is normalizing a bit now but will need a new evaluation I think. And Quinn, who used to have tummy issues as a kitten after flea poison but who I cured with diet, only goes every 2 days or so usually. Dvm said not to worry.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, it is norrmal not to have a BM after diarrhea for a few days. Try to increase water consumption by having several bowls setting around. If he goes more then three days, mix a tablespoon of pumpkin puree in his food, or 1/4 tsp. Miralax in his food after consulting with your vet by telephone. If THAT doesn't produce anything, then the vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dkb817

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He finally went this morning - Granted, it's still not fully formed or back to where he was prior to the diarrhea, but at this point, I'll take anything. We'll give the probiotics another couple of days and go from there.

Thanks for the support, y'all