Friskies Poultry Platter vs Grreat Choice Poultry Platter

sevenwonders

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So, I have been mixing Friskies P/P with Innova Cat & Kitten for my Ferals and Garden Kitties,

and I recently noticed that many of the PetSmart Brand (Grreat Choice)

cans of Kitty food have the same names as Friskies flavors.

Also, the ingredients are very similar, leading me to wonder if Friskies is making these for PetSmart.

I'm thinking of switching to the Grreat Choice - we tried it and the Kitties liked it just fine.

Please let me know if you see a substantial difference other than the rice -

Friskies has it - Grreat Choice does not.

Is the Grreat Choice Grain Free?

If so, it must be (by far) the least expensive GF can on the Planet.

Do you notice any harmful ingredients?

They both have carrageenan, but the GC version has it much farther down the list.

By the way, the Grreat Choice is 40 cents per 5.5 oz can,

compared to 50 cents for the Friskies (47 cents at WalMart.)

Friskies Poultry Platter

Turkey, poultry by-products, water sufficient for processing, meat by-products, liver, fish, rice, artificial and natural flavors, guar gum, potassium chloride, salt, choline chloride, carrageenan, magnesium sulfate, calcium phosphate, taurine, thiamine mononitrate, zinc sulfate, Vitamin E supplement, ferrous sulfate, niacin, copper sulfate, calcium pantothenate, Vitamin A supplement, manganese sulfate, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin supplement, Vitamin B-12 supplement, biotin, folic acid, Vitamin D-3 supplement, potassium iodide.

Guaranteed Analysis: Crude Protein (min) 10.0%, Crude Fat (min) 5.0%, Crude Fiber (max) 1.0%, Moisture (max) 78.0%, Ash (max) 3.5%, Taurine (min) 0.05%

Grreat Choice Poultry Platter

Turkey, poultry by-products, sufficient water for processing, meat by-products, animal liver, fish, salt, guar gum, potassium chloride, vitamin E supplement, vitamin A supplement, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin B12 supplement, thiamine mononitrate, niacin, d-calcium pantothenate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin supplement, biotin, folic acid, ferrous sulfate, zinc oxide, copper proteinate, manganous sulfate, sodium selenite, potassium iodide, choline chloride, carrageenan and taurine.

Guaranteed Analysis: Crude Protein (min) 10.0%, Crude Fat (min) 5.0%, Crude Fiber (max) 1.5%, Moisture (max) 78.0%, Ash (max) 3.5%, Taurine (min) 0.05%

gooned

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Great Choice was previously known as Sophisticat. Aside from guar gum, the GC looks pretty good to me. Seems to be low in carbs which is good for kitties. I've seen it in the store but never considered it. One of my babies is hung on Friskies. Now I may try GC.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's at least as good as Friskies. I'm just mad that they only have a few flavors in the 13-oz cans and most of them are fish flavors :mad:. If they had Poultry Platter in the larger cans I'd buy it for sure.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sevenwonders

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's at least as good as Friskies. I'm just mad that they only have a few flavors in the 13-oz cans and most of them are fish flavors
. If they had Poultry Platter in the larger cans I'd buy it for sure.
I know what you mean...

I have never found Friskies Poultry Platter in the large cans either  

I have only tried one (non-fish) flavor in the large cans,

but I couldn't get past all of the red meat in there -

I just kept thinking "I wonder what that is?"

so I just stuck with the P.P. small cans.

furryfriends50

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
They sell Friskies Poultry Platter in the large (13 ounce) cans here.  Grreat Choice only comes in as big as 5.5 ounce cans, as far as I know.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They sell Friskies Poultry Platter in the large (13 ounce) cans here.  Grreat Choice only comes in as big as 5.5 ounce cans, as far as I know.
Yeah, they JUST started selling Friskies Poultry Platter in the large cans and I'm so glad! But they only have it at Walmart and Petsmart, none of my online stores have it yet.

They do have Grreat Choice in 13-ounce cans in some flavors. Mixed Grill, Whitefish and Tuna. Turkey and Giblets, and Salmon. . .I think those are the only paté flavors they have. And the chunky kind in beef and chicken but I don't give my cats the chunky kind.

I give my ferals one 5.5-ounce can a night, so they usually get Grreat Choice (which is the cheapest I can find anywhere, except for true garbage like Twin Pet or something like that). The indoor cats only get the large cans, though, because I don't want to open a million teeny cans!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sevenwonders

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yeah, they JUST started selling Friskies Poultry Platter in the large cans and I'm so glad! But they only have it at Walmart and Petsmart, none of my online stores have it yet.

That is great news! I looked yesterday at PFD and DF - neither one of them had it.

It is time to stock up - I'm down to one 5.5 oz can, so I'll stop at WMT tonight on the way home.