😯 Friskies Discontinued ?

missy&spikesmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So, is anyone aware of brands that are similar to the large 13 oz cans of Friskies Pate? I too, use them. for my multiple Strays (most of whom, I eventually can trap and get them to the Cat Shelter I volunteer at). Also, that same Cat Shelter uses the Friskies Pate 13 oz cans (Along with some other brands).
I am SO upset Purina did this!! It is bad for the environment despite their saying the cans are recyclable, as a lot of people just dump the cans in the garbage anyway. Also, heard stories that a lot of times, recycled items are sent off to be recycled, but eventually they are just dumped anyway.....
*** PLUS---it is WAY more expensive!!!!
Thank you to anyone who can give me some leads on this!!!

KevinTempe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
For comparable food, Walmart has Special Kitty 13 oz. cans. It does not appeal to all cats, but most of the feral cats I feed will eat it. It is also cheaper than Frisikies. For those who won't eat it, I always bring some Friskies as well. The preferred flavors in order, are Turkey Dinner, Mixed Grill, and Tuna. Very few cats will eat the Super Supper.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been getting the 22-ounce cans of Paws n Claws from Tractor Supply, plus a few 13-cans of Triumph (from Chewy) thrown in for higher quality. So far so good. I order the TSC food online with in-store pickup so I can be sure they'll have it in stock when I get there.

Special Kitty is fine too, but they rarely have enough large cans on the shelf for my needs and getting a Walmart employee to grab anything from the back is nearly impossible (I think only managers are allowed to do that, and they don't like to). And you can't order it online for some reason.

KevinTempe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Depending on your location, Walmart's special kitty is available for pick-up and/or delivery. In the attached screenshot, if it says Next Day eligible it can be delivered. To set your location, just below the search box, click the Delivering to zipcode and then type in your zip and click Update Location. If you order more than $35, delivery is free. We buy 15 12-packs at a time and they are usually delivered the next day for free.

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
~ This is a big problem for those who feed a colony of stray cats. 22oz Special Kitty from Wal-Mart works OK - but you need a can opener. They have a few other flavors as well. 9 Lives makes a 13oz can also.

KevinTempe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
~ This is a big problem for those who feed a colony of stray cats. 22oz Special Kitty from Wal-Mart works OK - but you need a can opener. They have a few other flavors as well. 9 Lives makes a 13oz can also.
Hi,

Special Kitty now has pop-off tops, like Friskies. Occasionally, there will be a random can without a pop-top but that is rare. Unfortunately, the cans are not recyclable (tin) and are very hard to clean. Special Kitty Turkey comes in 40 oz cans as well.

JamesCalifornia

Top Cat
Purraise
Special Kitty now has pop-off tops, like Friskies. Occasionally, there will be a random can without a pop-top but that is rare. Unfortunately, the cans are not recyclable (tin) and are very hard to clean. Special Kitty Turkey comes in 40 oz cans as well.
~ That is good news. I have not seen those yet here at my Wal-Mart. I will check when I go ...

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The 13-oz cans have pop tops, the 22-oz cans don't. I'm not sure a can that size would be able to have a pop top, as it may cause structural instability.

I never thought about that, because I feed my cats at home and have an electric can opener. But that would be an issue for feral colony keepers, wouldn't it?

JamesCalifornia

Top Cat
Purraise
never thought about that, because I feed my cats at home and have an electric can opener. But that would be an issue for feral colony keepers, wouldn't it?
~ I believe the food is opened and prepared into a large container - then taken to the site. Those people do a lot of work for those stray cats. 👌

missy&spikesmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you for all your replies on this. I know at my Walmart, anyway, the Special Kitty is no longer on the shelves in the bigger cans. So, I am definitely going to check online on their website! Also, Tractor Supply did have some bigger cans on their shelf, when I was there awhile back. Didn't know they did free store delivery. -- But, even with free delivery to their store, it is quite a long highway drive for me to get there. However, if I have to, and can't get something at Walmart, I WILL go to TSC!! Thank You everyone!!!