Friskies Cat and kitten canned food causes diarrhea?

roaa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello to all,

My kitten Fluffy (3 months) used to have whiskas for kittens. But I've heard that it's low quality, and I should search for Purina!

I found kitten food from Fancy feast, but it's very small and overpriced. And Friskies big can is from Purina too and it's affordable!
The can is for kittens and adult cats.

The first few days I mixed it with her old food until she got used to it (+I mix homemade chicken breasts with it)

The problem is that I noticed Fluffy poops a lot, and has a kind of diarrhea! Smudges in her tail and feet were noticed in the last two days.

Nothing is different but her food (it's been a week) didn't she get used to it? Is it bad? What is the problem?

Is it also because I leave her food for a long time? Should I take it away after 30 minutes even if she didn't have it all ( I feed her 3 times aday )

Thank you in advance.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

roaa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ps. She eats normal. Her gum color is pink. She acts normal lazy but playful sometimes. She grooms herself. The smell of the letter box is like the usual. Nothing suspicious.

The only new thing happened to her in the past few days is the food, and the fact that we got back to school?!

crystal dawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Check the ingredients for fish additives they can cause diarrhea. Did you slowly switch her over by starting out with a small amount of the new food and a larger amount of the old and slowly flip the two so she was eating more new and less old gradually. leaving it out to long can be a problem as well. You can always pick up the bowl after about half an hour and cover it with something and putt it in the fridge then warm up the leftovers and add a bit of fresh food to it to make her normal meal amount and put it down again at her next meal time.

roaa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Check the ingredients for fish additives they can cause diarrhea. Did you slowly switch her over by starting out with a small amount of the new food and a larger amount of the old and slowly flip the two so she was eating more new and less old gradually. leaving it out to long can be a problem as well. You can always pick up the bowl after about half an hour and cover it with something and putt it in the fridge then warm up the leftovers and add a bit of fresh food to it to make her normal meal amount and put it down again at her next meal time.
I did gradually introduced the new brand and she was okay with it, she eats it now.

It is whitefish and tuna? Shouldn't I give her that. I have the poultry platter, but I haven't served yet

crystal dawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
t might be a good idea for you to try the poultry one and see if the diarrhea goes away. I had the same problem with my kittens when they where young

happybird

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Sometimes, it can be the preservatives in the food causing diarrhea. Some cats are very sensitive to certain preservatives and only a tiny amount will upset their stomach. Almost all of the Friskies flavours have fish in them, including the poultry ones, so you will still have an issue if fish is the problem. Food allergies are often accompanied by itching and excessive licking of the paws, so it may just be a sensitivity to something in that brand.

A good way to check for a food allergy or sensitivity is to feed a food made of single type of meat, and feed that only. Wilderness by Blue Buffalo has a canned chicken that contains only chicken and no other meats, fish oils, or grains. Corn products and wheat products are very common culprits with allergies. They also have a line of wet food with limited ingredients and novel proteins, like duck. Chicken may be the ingredient causing the problem- you never know! It is pricey to feed everyday, but feeding it for about two weeks should give you an answer about a fish sensitivity. Hopefully, through trial and error, you can narrow the ingredients lists down and figure out what is causing the diarrhea. Then, you can find a more affordable option for daily feeding. It takes a lot a label reading, but it is definitely worth it!

You will probably have to try several different brands until you find one that works for all your cats. It is something I think everyone with multiple cats goes through at some point.

Last edited:

roaa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sometimes, it can be the preservatives in the food causing diarrhea. Some cats are very sensitive to certain preservatives and only a tiny amount will upset their stomach. Almost all of the Friskies flavours have fish in them, including the poultry ones, so you will still have an issue if fish is the problem. Food allergies are often accompanied by itching and excessive licking of the paws, so it may just be a sensitivity to something in that brand.

A good way to check for a food allergy or sensitivity is to feed a food made of single type of meat, and that only. Grains are a very common culprit, too. Wilderness by Blue Buffalo has a canned chicken that contains only chicken and no other meats, fish oils, or grains. They also have a line of wet food with limited ingredients and novel proteins, like duck. Chicken may be the ingredient causing the problem- you never know! It is pricey to feed everyday, but feeding it for about two weeks should give you an answer about a fish sensitivity. Hopefully, through trial and error, you can narrow the ingredients lists down and figure out what is causing the diarrhea. Then, you can find a more affordable option for daily feeding. It takes a lot a label reading, but it is definitely worth it!

You will probably have to try several different brands until you find one that works for all your cats. It is something I think everyone with multiple cats goes through at some point.
I'm not sure if the fish is the problem, since whiskes was tuna!!
I'm still searching. And the kitten food are very limited where I live, and she doesn't eat dry food food a change.

So hopefully she will like the poultry one or I'm going back to whiskes :)

Thank you that was very helpful.