Welcome to The Cat Site
your cat community
Interact with our community

Friskies— An Fyi

Discussion in 'Cat Nutrition' started by posiepurrs, Mar 15, 2019.

1. posiepurrs

posiepurrs Thread Starter TCS Member Top Cat

Jan 11, 2015
    Western Massachusetts, USA
    I belong to breeders forums and feline health forums and have seen posts on them about problems with Friskies canned food. One lady even lost her cat, while others are saying cats are vomiting, having diarrhea and lack of appetite.

Kflowers and Kieka purraised this.

2. m3rma1d

m3rma1d NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Super Cat

Oct 12, 2018
    Maine
    That's a bit vague..

(bear in mind I don't and wouldn't feed Friskies, so I'm certainly not tryna play devil's advocate here)

3. posiepurrs

Jan 11, 2015
    All I know is there have been problems reported on the forums. Purina does not usually make public any issues- that I know for a fact. 2 of my my cats got sick from a Purina product a few years ago (diagnosed by a vet) and while they paid the vet bills, they did not accept responsibility.

Kflowers purraised this.

4. maggie101

maggie101 3 cats Top Cat

Apr 20, 2014
    Houston,TX
    I guess I will not try purina beyond on my cats. The ingredients looked ok

5. mizzely

mizzely TCS Member Super Cat

Feb 17, 2017
    Michigan
    Friskies is the only food my cat with cancer could stomach for the last 6 months of her life. I'll always be grateful for their "crap" food for giving me more time with her.

muffy, Tillybug, Minxxy and 3 others purraised this.

6. Willowy

Willowy TCS Member Top Cat

Mar 1, 2009
    South Dakota
    Just recently, like the last few batches, or is it more ongoing?

7. JamesCalifornia

JamesCalifornia TCS Member Top Cat

Apr 1, 2016
    Los Angeles
    ~ I have over 20 cats and feed Friskies pate . So far so good.
    Perhaps they do have a problem with a batch now and again. However I believe it's more likely a local issue with storage/temperature. To be safe I am now in the habit of checking expiration dates.
    Being that Purina produces such high volume I think they have more frequent inspections. I am told that Friskies has had voluntary recalls - but never a mandatory recall.
    :petcat:

kittyluv387 and maggiedemi purraised this.

8. DreamerRose

DreamerRose TCS Member Top Cat

Dec 11, 2015
    Naperville, IL
    I feed Friskies and had had no problem.

maggiedemi purraised this.

9. posiepurrs

Jan 11, 2015
    The replies on the forums were that there were fairly recent problems as in the last year or so and problems now. These are people who are breeders and people work in rescue as well as a couple of vets on the health forum so it isn't just some crack pot bunch of nuts. As I said my Purina issues were a couple of years ago. As for expiration dates I have checked them for YEARS since I purchased out of code food at a major pet food store that almost killed my dog. If it works for you that is good, I only meant this as a precautionary post. As always we need to be informed and pay attention to what works for our babies.

10. DreamerRose

DreamerRose TCS Member Top Cat

Dec 11, 2015
    Naperville, IL
    Of course. We need to know if something goes wrong. Thanks for letting us know.

11. mizzely

Feb 17, 2017
    Michigan
    I think the biggest issue is that "problems with Friskies" is not at all specific. What kind of health issues are people seeing? Are these cats fed exclusively Friskies? Any particular lots, textures or flavors?

Jasmine and Lydia ate Friskies from about April to November 2018 when I had to put Jasmine down. Jasmine improved dramatically on it after losing weight and appetite. On Friskies she was finally, eating, active and gaining weight. She also stopped vomiting every other day. So my experience was the exact opposite of the reported problems.

I definitely think we all need to remain informed of possible problems with foods we may be feeding! The more information we share, the better informed we can be. Correlation is not causation, which I realize can go both ways :)

m3rma1d purraised this.

12. posiepurrs

Jan 11, 2015

13. posiepurrs

Jan 11, 2015
    When we had our probelms my girls stopped eating, were vomiting and had very loose stools as well as having a slight temperature. The vet determined it was from the food- Friskies pate. The lady who lost her cat dealt with similar symptoms and she was feeding the chunky Friskies. In fact all of the other people reporting problems mentioned the same symptoms, most using the chunky types (not pate). No mention of flavor. I have tried to be as specific as I can but it seems it is not enough. I am sorry- I was just trying to help.

14. momof3b1g

momof3b1g TCS Member Super Cat

Dec 8, 2013
    Do they know it was the food? One of my cats got sick, wouldn't eat and diarrhea and vomiting for a week. She and another cat both ate friskies. We dont know what it was. Dont know what caused her to get sick so can't say it was the food.

15. Kflowers

Kflowers TCS Member Top Cat

Jul 28, 2018
    @posiepurrs, it's enough for me and that means I'll be mentioning it to people who feed Friskies. It was our go to food for decades, but then current cat won't eat wet. I still watch just in case some day she might.

16. Kflowers

Kflowers TCS Member Top Cat

Jul 28, 2018
    I looked up complaints on Consumer reviews and noticed that one person said he found bone shards in the pate. I would look for those if feeding pate, just in case. That was Feb 23 2019.

Top 151 Reviews and Complaints about Friskies

17. 1 bruce 1

1 bruce 1 TCS Member Top Cat

Apr 8, 2016
    That's crazy, Purina paid your bills but didn't accept the responsibility? Wouldn't paying the bills be an admission of fault or whatever the courts like to call that...
    Cooked bone shards are bad, bad, bad news. Thanks for the heads up.

mizzely and Kflowers purraised this.

18. 1 bruce 1

1 bruce 1 TCS Member Top Cat

Apr 8, 2016
    No sorries allowed :hellocomputer:
    I appreciate this information. I know quite a few folks who have barn kitties that feed Friskies, even if their cats aren't house pets, they don't want to feed them something that will hurt them.

PushPurrCatPaws and JamesCalifornia purraised this.

19. JamesCalifornia

JamesCalifornia TCS Member Top Cat

Apr 1, 2016
    Los Angeles
    ~ You did help. No need to apologize . There are others here who have had issues with Friskies. I think anyone would post about problems. We're all a little nuts here as out cats are like family.
    Friskies is such a popular brand and used by so many it is not unusual that these issues will come up .
    :thanks::redcat:

Docs Mom and 1 bruce 1 purraised this.

20. mizzely

Feb 17, 2017
    Michigan
    Definitely don't apologize, and I'm sorry if my comments made you feel like you needed to. My point was only that the more information we have, the more we are able to pinpoint and make sure our pets stay healthy!

PushPurrCatPaws and 1 bruce 1 purraised this.

21. babs' slave

babs' slave TCS Member Young Cat

Sep 10, 2011
    Texas
    Pardon me, what does a bone shard look like? I have found tiny pieces of what I think is cartilage, they tear easy between my fingers. Is that bone shard? Thanks