friends cat wont eat cat food just treats

strider rose

cat toy lady and cat mom to 3
Top Cat
Purraise
how do you get a cat to eat regular dry food ? she wont touch wet food and only eats treats

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Grated parmesan cheese mixed with the dry, or nutritional yeast powder sprinkled into it, which often has a nutty or cheesy flavor to it. Bonito flakes is another thing to try. Crumbled up cooked eggs. You could even add some treats intermixed with any of the above and the dry, just to start out with. There are also powered flavor enhancers that could be added - just do an internet search on "flavor enhancers to add to dry cat food".

Has your friend tried to add a little bit of some broth/bisques/tuna 'juice'/baby food meat in with the dry just to see if there is any interest in the combinations? For now, not enough to 'soak' it but just enough to change the taste.

EDIT: Oops, forgot to add freeze dried toppers as another possibility.

Last edited:

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Maybe because the treats are like dry food. Try mixing with wet or add something for a strong smell and taste
I would stay away from the treats..I had gotten some of my cats use to getting treats at bedtime but it got to a point they wouldn’t eat much at all but would gobble up the treat. I finally stopped giving them last December and have only given them about twice…..don’t think too healthy and shouldn’t be given as a food source….giving only dry food isn’t that great either.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Crush up the treats and sprinkle it over cat food, either dry or canned. What brand of treats is your friend feeding? Some brands are pretty junky and addicting to cats. Eating just treats is not nutritionally balanced and the cat is at risk for developing nutritional deficiencies. A lack of taurine for example can cause heart issues.

Your friend may also want to take the cat to the vet to make sure there isn't any underlying health issue and to get additional advice on getting the cat to eat cat food.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

strider rose

Top Cat
Purraise
LTS3 LTS3 she is giving her party mix brand treats and temptations ... i will let her now about what the others have said

Flybynight

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yikes strider rose strider rose , that's like giving a kid candy & expecting them to eat their veggies.
I don't think there are any nutrients in those, she will be at risk of taurine deficiency if that is all she eats.
For this case, I would suggest dry food to begin, it is sprayed with animal digest to make it appealing to cats.
I don't feed dry myself but to go direct to wet from dry treats only might be hard.
Choose at least a mid range dry food if high is not possible.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

strider rose

Top Cat
Purraise
to all you guys that responded : i told her to get some tuna and pour the juice on the dry food ...