Friendly stray late kitten outside my house. thinking of giving her a forever home. how can i gauge if Rivel will accept her?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, i can't find her this afternoon. Probably will ve back around in morning, i will try tomorrow.

If i find her at night, i will let her in now i can fully supervise.

Just to be safe, anything i should know that can bring in trouble, like potential pathogen or other infectious disease? Rivel is vaccinated against core F4 + rabies and her revolution+ worm treatment is 3 weeks ago

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, i can't find her this afternoon. Probably will ve back around in morning, i will try tomorrow.

If i find her at night, i will let her in now i can fully supervise.

Just to be safe, anything i should know that can bring in trouble, like potential pathogen or other infectious disease? Rivel is vaccinated against core F4 + rabies and her revolution+ worm treatment is 3 weeks ago
So, she disappeared before you could get her to the vet?

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
IMG_20201204_205357.jpg

Is this regular wound or ringworm? I already touched rivel withour washing my hand. Help!

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I got her last night. She slept in my room, sometimes she slept soundly, but woke up and meowed loudly and scratched my room door. I tried to keep her calm all nihhtbut she ran away this morning :(

She was in my room, i thought still asleep, so i opened the room door. I need to clean the litterboxes so i went out. In an instant the kitten she dashed outside. I lost her again.

I teel terrible. This is harder than i expected.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It happens, you don't have to feel terrible, but you do have to learn to watch that because the more times the kitten escapes the harder it will be for the kitten to adjust to being an indoor only cat.

Looking for the cat before opening the door, and a few foot stomps to back the cat up, work wonders.

In terms of recovery, once the kitten is outside, whatever you do, resist the temptation to chase the kitten outside. Instead, act nonchalant, like you just want to pet the kitten, and do so, and only pick the kitten up when her guard is totally down. Its very useful to train such a cat to recognize the sound of shaking the treat bag. I don't like to reward going outside, but sometimes its the best option.

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It happens, you don't have to feel terrible, but you do have to learn to watch that because the more times the kitten escapes the harder it will be for the kitten to adjust to being an indoor only cat.

Looking for the cat before opening the door, and a few foot stomps to back the cat up, work wonders.

In terms of recovery, once the kitten is outside, whatever you do, resist the temptation to chase the kitten outside. Instead, act nonchalant, like you just want to pet the kitten, and do so, and only pick the kitten up when her guard is totally down. Its very useful to train such a cat to recognize the sound of shaking the treat bag. I don't like to reward going outside, but sometimes its the best option.
I think partly because the whole house smell of rivel and they kinda started off on the wrong paw when they met. The kittem doesn't feel comfortable unless i hold her the whole time. Rivel is also disturbed by her crying.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How's it going between Rivel and the little one?

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Any luck finding her???
Nope. Not yet. I do leave food and water at the usual place, and they are usually gone by morning (although it could be other cats) i'll just give her time and think about preparing a place for proper re-introduction.

Well, i will try every day at least, my goal is to take her in before christmas break because vet will probably close during that time, and as far as i know emergency one is 2 hours away. Wish me luck!

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So happy she came back. Hopefully things will go smoother than last time and Rivel will accept her better.

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well now, i am thinking about their introductions. Rivel seems to be ok with her now, but she is scared to rivel.

I watched cat introduction videos on jackson galaxy as well as this site's cat introduction articles.

What should i do if i only have 1 room house? Do i keep the kitten in a cage when i am not around, or lock my rivel out of my room and keep the kitten there? Bathroom isn't an option because it's the only one in here and i obviously need to use it.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm thinking you could try putting the kitten in your room, and see how things go.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Use your room or if Rivel is fine with her but the kitten is scared, create a few hiding spots for her. A large box tipped on its side and covered partially with a blanket would work. That way the kitten can have her own safe space to observe and can come and go as she feels comfortable.