Friendly stray late kitten outside my house. thinking of giving her a forever home. how can i gauge if Rivel will accept her?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
she's basically been sleeping on the porch for the past 2 days. i keep her fed the same time as rivel. hopefully rivel will come around.

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
day 2. seems like they had bad impression. i had them eating together, but i opened the door too soon both of them were locked in staredown. Rivel is valiantly guarding her territory, the new cat got scared and hid. took 30 minutes for her to come out and finish the rest of the meal.

in the meanwhile rivel becomes cautious :(

if i restart the introduction: no visual contact at all, just feeding trough door will it work? the new cat is still outside, but i have set up a temporary place for her to sleep on and she seems to use it. the new cat is very attached to me. i want to keep her inside but i don't know i am so torn because it will upset rivel further. she's safe outside so far. i check on her several times a night. i might bring her to the vet for basic care + vaccine on saturday.

edit: also who should i give more attention to: Rivel to assure her the new girl isn't a threat, or the new cat?

Last edited:

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
okay so i have been racking my brain. would dog crate work for temporary shelter for the kitten? it'll still not optimal but you can put blankets, inside and bedsheet to cover it. you can fit the litter box too in there.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
okay so i have been racking my brain. would dog crate work for temporary shelter for the kitten? it'll still not optimal but you can put blankets, inside and bedsheet to cover it. you can fit the litter box too in there.
Some people have successfully used those as an introduction tool. More for like an hour or two at a time then back to an isolation room, not as their permanent area in the house.

Personally, I'd just put them together and watch for a couple hours, make sure they aren't going to fight, and let them work it out. I'd use the dog crate only if its clear that won't work. Your cats are young and there is nothing going on that makes me think they won't work it out.

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Some people have successfully used those as an introduction tool. More for like an hour or two at a time then back to an isolation room, not as their permanent area in the house.

Personally, I'd just put them together and watch for a couple hours, make sure they aren't going to fight, and let them work it out. I'd use the dog crate only if its clear that won't work. Your cats are young and there is nothing going on that makes me think they won't work it out.
I did it and Rivel scared the shit out of the new cat it wants out.

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Its a kitten. I wouldn't worry about it, kittens always come around, just takes time.
Well i let the new cat in for 30 minutes. Rivel hissed, but doesn't seem to want to attack. I will probably bring her to vet for flea+vaccine on Friday.

I am giving rivel extra attention too so she doesn't feel cast aside. Another good news is rivel doesn't seem aggressive or stressed. She is still eating, using her bathroom, and sleep with me on the sofa while i play games, at least as long i wash my hands after handling the kitten.

Minus is she hissed at anything that still smells like the kitten. I put in clothes i use as kitten's temporary on the porch outside, she hissed at it. The kitten is currenly sleeping outside the window where i can check her. Once in a while.

Last edited:

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well i let the new cat in for 30 minutes. Rivel hissed, but doesn't seem to want to attack. I will probably bring her to vet for flea+vaccine on Friday.

I am giving rivil extra attention too so she doesn't feel cast aside.
Sometimes a home raised kitten brought to a new home with new people/pets will be scared for up to a week. They always come around but it can take a bit. A kitten that has been on the street could take a bit longer but with time will come around. I'm always more worried about the older cats.

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Sometimes a home raised kitten brought to a new home with new people/pets will be scared for up to a week. They always come around but it can take a bit. A kitten that has been on the street could take a bit longer but with time will come around. I'm always more worried about the older cats.
I found that Rivel gets less upset if i prioritize her and doesn't disturb her schedule. On the first day, i try to "merge" their feeding time, rivel seems annoyed that i give food to other cat same as her, and she hissed at the door that is slightly ajar. Despite guides saying familiarize each other during food time, that makes my girl upset.

So today i am only handling the kitten after rivel gets her playtime, food and pets. I think she's less disturbed this way, and it also probably give her sense of security despite the new smells.

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
A ArtNJ

i have to dial it back :/
rivel hissed at new kitten loudly while she was eating, now she won't eat inside. after that i have take her outside,comfort the kitten for 15 minutes before she want to eat again. she also doesn't really like wet food, i don't have kitten food so rivel's is the only one i have now. i am trying to get her like wet food for high protein diet so she gain some weight.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A ArtNJ

i have to dial it back :/
rivel hissed at new kitten loudly while she was eating, now she won't eat inside. after that i have take her outside,comfort the kitten for 15 minutes before she want to eat again. she also doesn't really like wet food, i don't have kitten food so rivel's is the only one i have now. i am trying to get her like wet food for high protein diet so she gain some weight.
Dry food is actually easier for cats to gain weight on, more calories in the same volume. As long as its not diet food. I wouldn't worry about the lack of kitten food -- its a little higher in calories and maybe certain nutrients, but its at least partly a marketing thing.

Introductions while eating, recommended by Jackson Galaxy, always seems to cause more problems than its worth. A cat stressed by a new cat basically acts like its on guard duty and doesn't want to eat or get affection. Time in proximity is what works.

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
after rivel hissed while eating the kitten won't eat. help!

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
i tried everything. i don't know. i feel like a failure. the cat just won't eat. i feed her on the streets, not the door or porch where rivel doesn't go. i bought 3 different brands of wet food, 3 different dry food, mixing it warm chiken broth. still no. i think i ****ed up. i haven't seen her eat anything since yesterday so i tried hand feeding her, smearing little bits of wet food on her gum, she really doesn't like it and ran away :(

she really never eat that much, but this time won't even a bite. I can't go to the vet until friday. i honestly don't know what to do anymore.

Last edited:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You're ok, just give the whole thing a little time. You'll know when you see her by her body condition, if she starts to look thin I think you may want to bring her in and put her in your bathroom. Put a towel across the bottom of the door so that their scents aren't quit as easily detectable.

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You're ok, just give the whole thing a little time. You'll know when you see her by her body condition, if she starts to look thin I think you may want to bring her in and put her in your bathroom. Put a towel across the bottom of the door so that their scents aren't quit as easily detectable.
well today is the day. i greeted her and petted her this morning. after i go home today i will bring her right into the vet.