Friendly Feral Hurt

julie310

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I noticed this morning that one of my ferals is limping. On closer inspection his front leg at the (knee) joint about half way up is swollen pretty good. He seems to be walking on it okay so I am not sure if its broke or not. It is swelled up good though. I believe he was in an altercation last week some time because there are some TNRed strange feral males moving into their territory. He had a gash on his head and some tuffs of hair sticking up last week. I am wondering if he could have an infection. I have a call into my vet about it. She will squeeze me in in the mornings before surgery if I have issue with my ferals. I am just not sure at this point how much this could set me back money wise. She will try to cut me a break if she can. We are looking at possible exrays and being sedated. And this all pending I can catch him. He let me touch him and run my hand down his leg briefly but not for long. Any input or ideas or suggestions would be great. Well I just did some googling on my own and it could possibly be an abscess from a bit mark by these new males. I did see him get attacked slightly during feeding a week and a half ago. I do my best to keep them all separated when they eat but I am afraid I recently had to change the feeding station at work because problem employees are making it difficult for me to feed them on our safe property. I was doing it on my own time and not work time but people can be so heartless. Anyway I guess I will do what I can for him.

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ask the vet to give a shot of cortizone for inflammation and metacam for pain. If it's a soft tissue injury this will help.

She may be able to assess it without further tests initially.

If it's an abscess he will need an antibiotic. The vet can also drain it.

Either way it sounds like the cat needs vet help.

Can you get him neutered?

Thank you for caring about these cats.

It's a shame when people who don't help or care are judgemental and make things difficult.

Shane Kent

Crazy Cat Gentleman
Top Cat
Purraise
I recently had to change the feeding station at work because problem employees are making it difficult for me to feed them on our safe property. I was doing it on my own time and not work time but people can be so heartless.
I don't know if I told you this before, as I have read a few people in your situation. The problem employees are ____________. I will let you fill that in. Cold heartless ___________. They are lucky they don't work where I work. Had they done that when I was feeding my two outside I would have had them fired the first chance I got. I don't own the company but I am a critical component. The two cats are fully socialized now and live with my other two cats at home. I owe much of that to my bosses and their support. I got pay advances for the vet bills. I even had a couple of co-workers help out with socializing them. I socialized them in a room at work. I wish everyone had bosses like mine.

I refer to myself as a Crazy Cat Gentleman but I am in no way truly crazy. There is nothing crazy about not being able to watch an animal starve to death or get sick and die. In fact, I think the crazy ones are the people that don't care!

I hope it isn't anything serious for your little fellow and that he bounces back fast. Life is tough for outdoor kitties, God Bless you for all that you do.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

julie310

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He is already TNRed they all are. I watch over them closely. I took one skinny one in about 2 months ago when the bullies showed up. I was seeing less and less of her so I stepped in and catnapped her. She is doing great and my resident cat is coming along very slowly and hissing. I can keep him after the vet trip if all goes well. But I can't keep him. I need to take the other 2 in one at a time though and get them adopted. I am not a wealthy person but can do this in steps. These other mean cat's that have taken over my cat's colony are aggressive. They are males that were free and doing "their thing" with the ladies for a few years. They were trapped and TNRed recently so they are aggressive and hungry all the time. Not their faults. It just ruining the good thing my cat's had going on. I was wondering if anyone knows of any one in Harrisburg Pa area that would help me adopt these 3 out into good safe homes. I would take the time and socialize them. They pretty much well already are. Just a little skittish but super sweet and lovable and healthy so far. Anyway I got a closer look at him at lunch. He has all kinds of scars from a few weeks ago and a healed cut on his leg so I am pretty sure its an abscess. I can't do anything today but will try to get him first thing in the morning and take to vet if she can look at him. He seems more friendlier and needier then normal. It's because he trusts me and is in pain I am sure. He is eating good so hopefully he shows up tomorrow. I believe I can grab him tomorrow with no problems except my fellow employees. I have to sneak but I will accomplish my mission. I will lose my job before I just let one of my work babies succumb to an injury. My house is very small or they all would be in already. Keep ya posted and please if someone is in the Harrisburg Pennsylvania area and know anyone that rescue's cats and places them would be greatly appreciated. :)

julie310

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't know if I told you this before, as I have read a few people in your situation. The problem employees are ____________. I will let you fill that in. Cold heartless ___________. They are lucky they don't work where I work. Had they done that when I was feeding my two outside I would have had them fired the first chance I got. I don't own the company but I am a critical component. The two cats are fully socialized now and live with my other two cats at home. I owe much of that to my bosses and their support. I got pay advances for the vet bills. I even had a couple of co-workers help out with socializing them. I socialized them in a room at work. I wish everyone had bosses like mine.

I refer to myself as a Crazy Cat Gentleman but I am in no way truly crazy. There is nothing crazy about not being able to watch an animal starve to death or get sick and die. In fact, I think the crazy ones are the people that don't care!

I hope it isn't anything serious for your little fellow and that he bounces back fast. Life is tough for outdoor kitties, God Bless you for all that you do.
I am in the process of filing harassment charges against this 1 employee because I have obeyed all of the HR department concerning the cat's and his complaints and he keeps coming after me about them. It is harassment now. I gave him enough rope and he hung himself :)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Try calling area rescues to see if they will help you place them in homes when the time is right.

I hope you get the cat in the morning for a vet visit too! Let us know.

I hope that empliyee will leave you alone and not get you into trouble. You have hopefully been documenting everything along the way.

Shane Kent

Crazy Cat Gentleman
Top Cat
Purraise
I am in the process of filing harassment charges against this 1 employee because I have obeyed all of the HR department concerning the cat's and his complaints and he keeps coming after me about them. It is harassment now. I gave him enough rope and he hung himself :)
Probably thinks he is a big man, I am a man and I will tell you he is a little man! What kind of man is bothered by little kitty cats? He sounds like a scumbag, I hope he doesn't do anything to the cats.

In my situation there are security cameras all over our property because we have lots of construction equipment in our yard. The cats were on the property so if I had someone fired they would have been crazy to do something to the cats. I would not have hesitated to call the authorities on the person had they even gone near the cats. At the very least I would have had them charged with trespassing.

GinaN

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

OMG I love this post so much.

julie310

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Probably thinks he is a big man, I am a man and I will tell you he is a little man! What kind of man is bothered by little kitty cats? He sounds like a scumbag, I hope he doesn't do anything to the cats.

In my situation there are security cameras all over our property because we have lots of construction equipment in our yard. The cats were on the property so if I had someone fired they would have been crazy to do something to the cats. I would not have hesitated to call the authorities on the person had they even gone near the cats. At the very least I would have had them charged with trespassing.
I AM HOPING THE SAME. The thought has crossed my mind. He is getting in to a lot of trouble for a lot of other reasons at work. This is the icing on the cake.

julie310

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry very busy day today. Captured and vet checked. He is great. The vet said he is so sweet for a semi feral. He didn't even need a sedative to be check out. He is resting at home. He did have a wound on his leg. He had bloodwork, negative for now. They cleaned the wound and filled him with antibiotics. I am keeping him. I have decided that I will take them in one at a time and rehome them to serious loving homes only or become a crazy cat lady :) my home may be small but better then being beat up and soon freezing temps. I have reached out to rescues. They seem to be overwhelmed at this time. If all else fails me and my crazy cat loving daughter will split them :) I will give updates. Thank you

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Bless you!

He is so handsome! Hoping he is all better soon!

Thank you for taking him in.

julie310

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I really couldn't live with myself any longer if I just kept them out there. They used to have a great set up but they are in fear of the other aggressive cats that have moved in. I can only afford 1 a month. And I don't want to become a hoarder of kitties unless I know I can handle it :) this guy needs to go back in for another SNAP test for FIV in 3 months after that attack. We will take it 1 day at a time :) thank you for all of the week wishs and prrraise ;) any one looking for a kitty? Lol

julie310

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay got some questions. My newsiest member tested neg for FIV. Here is my dilemma. I kept him separate from his sister for 4 days until the profender killed all of the internal worms or parasites he may have had. I only have the small cat room. He has been in an extra large metal dog pen for a about 4 days. I started letting him out. Him and his sister are playing a little ruff. I let them have the run of the room while his sister also gets the run of the whole upstairs. He doesn't feel comfortable enough yet to come out of the safe room which is fine. At night I still keep the the month indoor kitty in the catroom. He gets the pen for their own safety. Today I let him have the whole cat room. My other feels comfortable in all other rooms so I drug her litter box food and water out in the hallway so they were not together while I am at work for 10 hrs (overtime for the next month) am I being to paranoid not letting them alone until he is more comfortable? He has to go in for another FIV in a month or so because his puncture wound was 2 weeks old and the tests could be false neg. I also want to take the other two in in the next week. I think it will be too crazy having all four in 1 room. Especially at night. I am afraid once they all get together and feel their oats because they know they are safe they will get crazy like the little black one is now that I took in 2 months ago. She is crazy but quirky. She is wonderful don't get me wrong. She is now having the time of her life knowing she is safe. They get very rammy in the evening. These two were never a bonded pair but are still sibs. Once I get the other 2 inside then I can match them up as far as whom they were bonded to and hope I wasn't wrong LOL but I think I would like to possibly set up another cat room so 2 and 2 in one room is more safe for all an manageable. I am now going to work with a rescue to help me eventually find homes for them as I cannot keep all. My resident cat is not happy and is getting withdrawn even though she has the whole finished basement and kitchen upstairs. I play with her and a take her outside on a regular basis to keep her feeling loved. Any tips on how to deal with all of this.