Friendly Cat Afraid To Come Back In The House

azeleven

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I trapped a mixed breed kitten 14 months ago. She has been in my home ever since I got her fixed. For several months she refused to leave the dog kennel that I established her in. I already had cats. When she finally came out of the kennel she was very sweet and loving and quickly became a play friend of the other cats. I am trying to keep her indoors although when I trapped her she was a stray outside. She escaped once and was missing for 3 days but came back to the house and I managed to grab her and bring her back inside. While she is inside she is very loving and accepting of me, looking for play and affection. She sleeps on my bed next to me. But when she does manage to get back outside again she runs away from me. She stays with the other cats but she is frightened of me. She is afraid to come in the door. Even if I leave it open and throw treats she won't enter on her own. I am beside myself because the other cats when they go outside will come to me and will stay close. (One of my other cats is a stray earlier that I trapped who is a couple years old and as a former Tomcat is convinced he must go out.) I live in a rural area the nearest house is about a quarter mile, there is lots of wildlife to be concerned of and I don't want her to get in the habit of staying out overnight.
I am want to keep trying to keep her in but since I know she can occasionally get out I need help to train her to feel like she can come back in the house once she is outside.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. And thanks for caring for the stray / semi-feral cats. :petcat:

About the kitten that won't come back in, is she currently outside? If so, is she eating food you provide, or fending for herself?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

azeleven

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Right now she's outside underneath the car because it's hot. She walks back and forth looking at me. I put food outside so maybe I should have left it inside so she would get hungrier. There's water. Hopefully I'll get her a back in before nightfall. But I don't understand why she is afraid of me when I'm outside when she's not afraid of me inside the house. She comes up to the door and acts like she's afraid to come through the door
Hello and welcome to TCS. And thanks for caring for the stray / semi-feral cats. :petcat:

About the kitten that won't come back in, is she currently outside? If so, is she eating food you provide, or fending for herself?

azeleven

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Maybe she has a fear of the doorway because usually I catch her, when she tries to go out and keep her inside

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Maybe she's not actually afraid of you, just doesn't want you to catch her and bring her inside.

She's probably not hungry now, but maybe you could try enticing her inside with something stinky like tuna or sardines.

azeleven

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok putting tuna by door but I think what she really wants is a live mouse

azeleven

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wrong cat says thanks for the treat!

azeleven

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's 9:47 p.m. she's been out all day. In hundred degree Heat. When temps got slightly lower I opened up the door and turn off the air hoping she would come in. Spent the whole day watching the door. All the other cats loved the sardines. She didn't come. She stayed right outside and when the other cats came out she went and played with them. A thunderstorm just rolled up. Instead of coming inside she went some place to hide. She has been within 20 feet of me and stayed around all day. Now I have to decide to go to bed leaving her outside which I don't want to do because I'm afraid of how far she could go. The house I trapped her in is a half mile away. And we have coyotes.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, no. Fingers crossed you can get her to come inside for breakfast. :crossfingers:

5starcathotel

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh, she is exactly like my Hobo kitty (12yo male). He was born a stray in my yard, but I tricked him into my home with a few weeks of food. Now he is so sweet and loving, but fearful of strangers, and strictly indoor.

But about a year ago, he slipped outside....and just panicked. He was hiding under my backyard deck, and I did everything I could think of to drive him out from under there (and back home), or lure him out with treats. NOTHING WORKED! He was terrified of me, after 12 years of cuddling with me....he looked at me like I was an ax-murderer!

After about 36 hours outside, I saw him, and opened the door, and just started talking / meowing at him. It took 5 minutes before he started to answer, so quietly. 10 minutes before we were having an actual conversation. 15 minutes before he really started to complain...and 20 minutes before he crawled out from under the deck and walked inside. And another 10 minutes after that before I could clean his fur of the dust and mud, all the while he was telling me how this was all my fault!

azeleven

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
she finally came in after 11 last night after leaving the door open all day . she is used to me talking to her but maybe meowing would be more reassuring.

azeleven

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
" like a ax murderer"! Yes!
maybe I need to let her out on days where I know I'll be here all day and can stay outside and play with them all. reassure her that I wont attack her outside and grab her. Then she can come and go. But this is exhausting and I would rather wait for cooler weather!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
she finally came in after 11 last night after leaving the door open all day . she is used to me talking to her but maybe meowing would be more reassuring.
Yay! :clap2:

If you want to try keeping her inside all the time, here's a couple TCS articles that might have some tips for you.

The Five Golden Rules To Bringing An Outdoor Cat Inside
How To Prevent Your Cat From Darting Out The Door | TheCatSite
How To Make Your Home Bigger (at Least For Your Cats) | TheCatSite
Bored Cat? What Cat Owners Need To Know (including 10 Actionable Tips) | TheCatSite