Friend of Ferals Award Badge - Apply Here

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
But what I do now is assist my two friends by doing as much online work that I can to find barn homes or garden homes or more volunteers to help out.
That's extremely important work, too! Thank you for caring about these cats and helping however you can. Badge awarded!

mom of little jo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have several feral cats we care for. Most are black. My husband keeps them fed and watered. We are working on getting them spayed and neutered through a local rescue service. Some have disappeared or found dead recently. We have been told a neighbor is putting out water with anti-freeze, I don't know if this is true. I plan to confront her. My grand children tame the ferals as kittens and love them. Of course the older ones are still afraid. Here is a picture of my grand babies with some of the feral cats ...

Attachments

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
That is so sad about the anti-freeze mom of little jo mom of little jo :frown:
I hope the rescue can help soon with the spaying and neutering, as it's one of the most important aspects of caring for strays and ferals.
I love your bundle of cute black kitties. :redheartpump:

Badge awarded. :)

mom of little jo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That is so sad about the anti-freeze mom of little jo mom of little jo :frown:
I hope the rescue can help soon with the spaying and neutering, as it's one of the most important aspects of caring for strays and ferals.
I love your bundle of cute black kitties. :redheartpump:

Thank you so much. The rescue is helping they take cats every 3 months and people can send as many as they want for 15.00 per cat, they spay/neuter and clip their ear and bring them back. We have had 3 done so far <3

Aieko

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I adore working with feral cats, there are quite a few that roam around near my house, 10-12 or more I would guess. They all come up to my back porch, and I feed them all. I buy a ton of cat food for these furbags but it’s so worth it to hear those happy little purrs.

Near early 2017, after I fed those kitties, about an hour later I heard pitiful high pitched meowing, I ran out of my house to investigate and low ‘n behold, two tabbies were sitting outside, about 5 weeks old. I unfortunately know that 70% of feral kittens die. I waited around for a mother but she never came. I took them in and did TNRV when they were 6 months.

Here is the two of them sleeping soundly right after they got neutered.

Here is Jasper, he’s a funny little dude. I have no recent images of Echo as he moves far too fast. He’s very athletic despite the chub he carries.

Here is Jasper again, being funny once more.

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
Wonderful that you could rescue and do the spay/neutering.
They're adorable. :redheartpump:
Thank you... a lovely story and great pictures.
And badge awarded. :thumbsup:

linzy383

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My neighborhood has a ton of feral cats. The first one we started feeding was Heathclif. He was afraid of me at first but I slowly worked up to petting him. It took 3 years for us to catch him to get neutered! Now we have my neighbor’s cat who had kittens 8 weeks ago and is pregnant again. The three kittens are all inside with her waiting to get fixed.

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
My neighborhood has a ton of feral cats. The first one we started feeding was Heathclif. He was afraid of me at first but I slowly worked up to petting him. It took 3 years for us to catch him to get neutered! Now we have my neighbor’s cat who had kittens 8 weeks ago and is pregnant again. The three kittens are all inside with her waiting to get fixed.
Welcome to TCS! Thank you for the wonderful job you're doing. We look forward to hearing more in the forums. :)
Badge awarded. :thumbsup:

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If you help feral cats on a regular basis, whether by managing a colony, involvement in TNR operations or advocating for feral cats in your community, we'd like to award you this badge -

To get your badge, please post to this thread and let us know how you help feral cats! The badge links back to this page, so you'll be helping us spread the word about helping feral cats.

Not sure what this is all about? Please check out these resources and see how you can help us help ferals!

Please note: If you wish to nominate another member for the Friends of Ferals badge, please do so by PMing a moderator, rather than posting in the thread.
I don't think I deserve a badge. I bought a kitty tube to set outside for a cat who claims it. It is suppose to be a rough winter. I feel sorry for the cats who are crying at my back door before a big snow.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I don't think I deserve a badge. I bought a kitty tube to set outside for a cat who claims it. It is suppose to be a rough winter. I feel sorry for the cats who are crying at my back door before a big snow.
Setting up a shelter is a great start nunnc84 nunnc84 The FOF badge is for people who are providing feral cats with food and shelter or trying to rehome them, but most importantly getting them TNR'd so the feral population doesn't keep growing.

If you're doing that then you definitely deserve a badge.

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Setting up a shelter is a great start nunnc84 nunnc84 The FOF badge is for people who are providing feral cats with food and shelter or trying to rehome them, but most importantly getting them TNR'd so the feral population doesn't keep growing.

If you're doing that then you definitely deserve a badge.
I'm trying to get help with TNR now. So do I get a badge?

Last edited by a moderator:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
That's wonderful nunnc84 nunnc84

:hyper:

I think you deserve a FOF badge for your efforts so far.

If you need any advice about trapping please start a new thread in this forum. We have some very experienced feral care takers who post here regularly.

In my experience, offering to clean up the neighbour's yard if the cats have used it as a litter box usually keeps people happy. Hopefully they'll understand that, whether you attract the cats or not, they're out there and TNR is the only humane way to keep the population under control.

Badge awarded!

e_l_green

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thus far have TNR'ed three ferals, two males (one white, one black/white) and one female (grey/white tabby). Also brought in three kittens and managed to socialize them and adopt them out. Here's the Three Mouseketeers right after I brought them in, while they were still caged while I got them accustomed to being around humans and got them accustomed to being touched and handled by humans. That itty bitty kitty condo became their "safe place" to retreat to when they were feeling overstressed or scared once I opened the doors on the bottom and gave them free roam of the kitten room, then, once they mastered that as their safe place, the house.
itty-bitty-kitty-condo2.jpg

e_l_green

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
And here they are after being socialized playing with me and my 17 year old elder gentleman (who has been with me since he was 8 months old). Makes me smile just watching it.

8kitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I and my family help feral cats. For one, all of our 8 outdoor (on a farm) cats are spayed/neutered, and 1 of them (Grover) was not socialized when we caught him as a baby and we had to tame him down (he was quite fierce, lol), so I guess that counts as feral.

Also, we TNR'd a random cat that came in our yard in April of this year. It was quite the process, because of our cats that would also go in the trap :rolleyes:, we had to rig the trap with a plastic bottle tied to fishing line and thread it through the window. Then when he finally went in (after our cats had all had turns eating the bait) we got em.

Unfortunately, he was NOT happy about the whole getting fixed thing and disappeared a week after we released him. Our other cats don't like newcomers so it is hard, even though he is welcome to eat here they drive him off. We thought we saw him a few weeks ago though, and hope he is okay. We think he came from some people down the road who feed cats. :disappointed:

The other thing we do is help feed a feral colony! About 2 months ago I contacted a TON of cat rescues/groups to see if anyone could help with the colony that had been at our local dump (when you live in the country you have to drive your trash to the dump) for years. My kitty Ember actually came from I finally found a group that agreed to fund it and by some miracle the dump happened to close at the same time! So now the cats have it to themselves. The group found a volunteer to trap and vet them, and we have been taking turns feeding them. We trapped the only kitten there and the group got it to rescue, and we took an EXTREMELY sick cat that could barely move, which the group paid for it to be examined and sadly euthanized to end its suffering.

Other good news about the colony is recently the owner of the property they are on said it was great that we were doing this and even offered to help feed! This is in the middle of nowhere so I don't think any of these people know about TNR (except the volunteer). It really is amazing, the whole reason they had been living there for so long is that while the dump was open they would eat trash. Then it happened to be right when it closed that things fell together for them to be fixed/fed. I don't know if the group has gotten them all (they've gotten about 16 so far, included rescuing a few cats that were dumped there), but it is progress! I was amazed at what can happen when you take the time to reach out to rescues/groups and spread the word to try to help a colony. And at how much networking online helps.

Last edited:

8kitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh, forgot to clarify, the cat that came in our yard that we trapped was in fact feral. Very much so, he did not like being touched or seeing people. AND another mistake in my previous post, I meant to say that my kitty Ember came from that dump.

Last edited:

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
Well done 8kitties 8kitties and thank you for all you do for the kitties. Your networking and educating others in a very encouraging way is tremendously helpful as well. :goldstar: