Friend of Ferals Award Badge - Apply Here

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I just realized I need to post about myself here too, as I am going to award myself with the badge, unless there are any objections. I have always helped feral cats for as long as I can remember. I have TNR'ed over a dozen feral cats, and at least three of them so far have become "our cats", two of them tame enough to live with us. Oh, and I have this website where we really try to promote awareness to feral cats and how to help them

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just realized I need to post about myself here too, as I am going to award myself with the badge, unless there are any objections. I have always helped feral cats for as long as I can remember. I have TNR'ed over a dozen feral cats, and at least three of them so far have become "our cats", two of them tame enough to live with us. Oh, and I have this website where we really try to promote awareness to feral cats and how to help them :high5:
:D :lol3: of course, you are worthy of a badge as well!!!!!! :clap::clap::clap: AND thank you for making these badges possible. I think it is wonderful that The Cat Site honors is members efforts for such a good cause. :thanks:

Last edited:

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Anne..my heavens, of course there will be no objections..simply creating this site has helped innumerable cats!

Ty for the badge :)

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I just realized I need to post about myself here too, as I am going to award myself with the badge, unless there are any objections. I have always helped feral cats for as long as I can remember. I have TNR'ed over a dozen feral cats, and at least three of them so far have become "our cats", two of them tame enough to live with us. Oh, and I have this website where we really try to promote awareness to feral cats and how to help them
I was going to ask where your badge was!

bastfriend

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I hope it's okay for me to apply for a badge.  I rescued a feral mom and kittens a few years ago.   I still have the mom who is probably 10 now as an indoor cat who has the sweetest heart and loves pets but still won't let herself be restrained in any way.   I also have her son who has grown up to be a big fine fella who loves tummy rubs.   I've helped advise and teach other people about trapping and finding resources to help them with their own feral cats and am currently feeding one feral.   Thanks!

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have warehouse that is feral cat junction, all kind of feral cats come and go there, I keep food there for them, also water and I have made insulated cat house there so if someone is feeling the harsh winters (now -26C outside), there is chance to rest in warm quiet place and continue to new adventures with regained strength next day.

Also I have trapped several of them and delivered to local shelter, can't let population grow uncontrolled so during spring there is trapping season.

I have 6 rescues inside the house, all caught from warehouse or immediate vicinity, three are fairly well tamed, two are still bit feral and one is still full feral that is mostly hiding.

Less ferals are now outside than few years ago, so slowly situation has been more under control, one regular has been emptying food bowls during nights, will be interesting to see what happens at spring time again.

brillobee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
For some reason ferals are drawn to my house. Maybe it's because they can sense safety here. I currently feed numerous ferals.They all have their names. Others I've seen only once. I have two that have made my garage their home. Marvin who is orange and white and Not-Marvin, who is orange and white, but with more white. I have TNR'd a few of them, thanks to my local animal welfare society. I will continue to TNR once the weather in nicer. I also have taken in and rehomed many strays. Most find their forever home with me such as Patch and Puff. Little Cat, was a true feral that after hours of socialization is now a happy house cat. My husband and I will never turn any cat away. And I think they know it.

purrfectlycat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi guys,

It's been a while since I've visited, been so busy with work and my fur children, their just hasn't been enough time for simple pleasures, like visiting here and reading all the great stories you have shared or looking at all the great pics that I really love.

A little over four years now, I've being involved with rescuing abandoned and feral cats.

My neighborhood is a prime dumping ground, surrounded by apartment buildings where people come and go.

Many cats, who once had homes have been left behind when their people move. I will Never Ever!
be able to understand how anyone can just move away and leave their pet behind, like their discarding an unwanted piece of furniture.

I started by rescuing two cold and sick kittens. I took them to the vet, nursed them to good health, got attached and couldn't part with them. There were three very thin and very pregnant ferals after this and they became my priority and so it was, before I actually got involved in TNR, I had taken 14 cats to be spayed and neutered and accepted the responsibility for their care.

I got involved with TNR when I met a dear women, who like myself, was shopping for cat food and like me had more food in her basket than the average pet owner. We struck up a conversation and I learned she was affiliated with the Humane Society and their TNR program. She gave me the number for the Director of the Feral Cat program here in our area and the rest is history.

Like many of you, because of the nature of what we do, I have seen pain, suffering and even death, but keep plugging along because these unfortunate and beautiful little creatures need me to.

Every pet I've ever shared my life with has been a stray, but that was always one or two at a time. I now share my home with eight inside cats and 27 outside cats, ( The Colony).

Every week or so a new discarded, scared and lonely little fur baby finds it's way to our little haven, and is welcomed with kindness and the help they are so deserving of.

This four plus years has been a journey filled with happiness, despair and everything in between, but I will never regret any of it or my decision to do what I do. I always wanted my life to count for something, and so it does.

I would be so very proud to be a Friend Of Ferals.

rawrmonster

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
2 out of 3 of our cats were feral kittens. Our baby Jaws was found on a construction job site where the workers were trying to shoot her with their mail guns and wanted to kill her. My stepdad brought her to their home in his lunchbox. My bf and I picked her up since there were dogs out there and she's been our baby monster since. Our most recent rescue was born in the wild and abandoned by his mom. We found him outside on the brink of death. I nursed him to health and now he's my baby.

steve lew

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Taking care of 4 kittens and two adult feral cats. Beautiful animals. I'm not a cat fan but I wanted to keep the cats fed with water and food. Way better than for the cats looking for food. I had a raccoon problem but thanks to many feral cat sites, there were pictures of raccoon proof feeders since cats can jump but raccoons can't. So I built a feeder for the cats. They can all jump to find the food and water. The cats now are bigger and I think happier. They look forward to me when I make a noise saying the food is coming. Also I have a neighbor who loves cats and he helps feed the cats also. Thanks for your great site. Go feral cats!!!

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Badges awarded! Thank you everyone for sharing your stories!

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
Just a few short years ago I had no idea of what a Feral-born cat was.  Oh, yes - I heard the term spoken by my sister in Northern California, but never had any interest.

But, that all changed one evening when a gray tabby started hanging around our house.  I figured someone had dropped him off, so began to feed him.  Eventually we became friends, and he would start coming when I called him.  I named him "Gray" because I really didn't want to become attached to him. HA!  Little did I know he already had a piece of my heart.

We already had three inside cats - a way more than I thought anyone were dare have as one cat was usually the normal number for one family from my limited life experience. HA!

I knew NOTHING about capturing a cat, or trapping, or even the term TNR!  When I saw animals being available for adoption at our local pet store I tried to ask questions - thinking I could find a home for this new Visitor I had.  I can't forget the blank stares I received, and no help or ideas were presented to me.  I’m guessing that those blank stares came from people that were close to being burnt out by all the sadness they were seeing. 

I remained clueless until I began collecting information from the members and articles here on thecatsite.com.

I invested in a two-door trap, and began the process of trapping.  I didn’t have to trap Gray, because he was now allowing me to carry him.  By this time he had a mate that seemed to just adore him - very interesting to watch her wait and watch for him to come home.  By the time I was beginning to try trapping, they had 2 kittens about 3 months old and the female (Gigi) was coming into heat.  Now I was in BIG Trouble and had to get off my insecurities and just do IT.

When I took Gray for a Lion Cut - he was covered with fur mats and wouldn’t allow me near them - my Vet tested him and it was then that Gray was discovered to have FIV.  We brought him inside full time, and finally managed to bring in his family.  My husband built an outside enclosure that has a cat door attached to our office window where the cats are free to be inside, or out.  That was an additional 4 cats inside total now = 7.

Then, another visitor - a stray arrived.  Buddy.  He tested with FeLV.  He now resides in our former guest room.

January 17, 2012 I trapped a young Calico, and she now has her “zone” - the family room and kitchen.  Our living room now contains the guest room bed.

Now our house has 9 inside cats - all divided up into “Zones”, with screen doors dividing the spaces.

The Outside cats now total 12 including the 4 in the garage.

I currently have a trap-smart, female, feral-born, trapped in our garage.  She has given us 3 litters.  The third - three of them - are trapped with their mommy inside the garage.  Plans are to trap this female and get her relieved of having to raise any more babies.  Her two previous litters (total of 8) are now locked out of the garage and I have been making warm beds for them on our covered patio, and other places where they can stay warm and dry.

I won’t go into detail what I must do in the summer weather with 115 degree days. ugh

I have been fortunate to get two of those 8 trapped, and they were 2 of the 3 known females.  Since the first litter have the same color and markings I’ve been unable to identify them individually.  Pepper’s second litter had two that resembled her first litter, and two that are yellow - in fact, I think the yellow boys are twins.

I’m learning with each trapping.  I do think that it’s been easier with these two litters because they saw me all the time as kittens, feeding them and just being around them.  

This Responsibility is very costly in both money and time.  I get up around 8 a.m., begin feeding, watering, and cleaning litter tubs.  I use dishes that I need to wash and I disinfect each dish I use.  I feed mostly canned food, raw chicken, and premium dry food.  

Then, about 4:30 pm the process begins all over again. Around 12 a.m., I brush Gray and his family before I go to bed. If I think about just going to bed instead of giving them attention those thoughts are dashed if I look into the room and there they are waiting for me to come and brush them.  I brush and hug on them until about 12:30 a.m., and then I crash.  I usually sleep really good until about 7 a.m..

The cute three little kittens in the Garage need to be placed into a forever home because they have medium to long fur and the heat of the Desert Summer will be difficult for them.  I’ve never asked anyone to provide a home for kittens, so this will be another First for me - one that I’m dreading because they now have a piece of my heart, too.

This is our First - Gray (FIV) - waiting for his GA grooming.

This is "Tortee", TNR'd 12/10/12 

Trapped in the Garage - Pepper - Planning her Escape

Pepper's Last Litter (I pray) trapped in the garage with her.  They were born about the last week of October, 2012, so they're about 6 weeks old in this pic.

Last edited:

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Badges awarded! Those are some great photos, Gloria, I might just use one of them to feature the thread with - thank you for the pictures and for sharing your story (you really warmed my heart mentioning TCS as your first resource!)

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
Badges awarded! Those are some great photos, Gloria, I might just use one of them to feature the thread with - thank you for the pictures and for sharing your story (you really warmed my heart mentioning TCS as your first resource!)
TCS has been a lifesaver - and I don't just mean for me - but also for the cats that have come into my life. :)  Anne, you're doing good Work with this website!  I would be honored if you are able to use a picture to help with the Site. g

catlover chick

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There are 5+ males and the 5 are the ones i have befriended and 3 females who all have litters...
as of now. But i am only 12 and i try to dowhat i can to help..
i mean 13.
I buy food for them and take care of the kittens, i get them to be friendly
so when they do grow bigger, they wont be scared and even more feral. But i try to get my mommy to let the cats in the house and sometimes she will let me and we give them food, more food. But the whole neighborhood buys food for them too, pretty much. And the other day, one of the scardy kitties got a home.
I do what i can for them... oh and all the cats around here are olmost completely black or have a bit of white on them.

old mcdonald

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'd been "catless" for over 25 years, when Fraidy Cat chose my hedge for her house. It's been 4 months & I still can't get closer than 3 ft, but Fraidy Cat (truly paranoid) condescends to let me join her staff, considering the always fresh, filtered water, IAMS wet & dry food, the occasional raw chicken (first plunged into boiling water for 2 minutes, then frozen & thawed, to get rid of any critters. She's a neighborhood stray turned feral, escaped while a neighbor was occupied putting down 30 others when his wife died. She's survived now 3 years, has been tipped & neutered. I visited the local vet & a staff member came over to the house, recognized the cat. She gave me food, vitamins, fish oil, and lots of advice. Fraidy's improving from her scrawny frame now, visits only at mealtime, has recently begun to overnight in her sheltered cafe box outside my door ("here on the beach in San Diego, 34 is COLD, guy!"). Closest she gets to relaxed is a tense crouch, unless the sidewalk is sun-warmed. She's a meticulous preener, tidy about her must-do stuff. I bring in her food bowl at dusk, to discourage the raccoons, possums, and crows who are all, always hungry. I hope to find a way to treat her fleas, without trying to touch her. I hope to encourage her to curl up on the mat I put into a shelter I made for her, but she's used to what she knows. The vet told me "feral cats hate everything, the first time." I've had 6 stray cats over many years, but they all adjusted to living indoors and being spoiled. My old Maine Coon stray loved to sit on the piano and listen to Bach - but she'd swish her tail so I couldn't read the notes, when I played Chopin! For this old loner, Fraidy is just right!

Old McDonald

San Diego

alisia612

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have been caring for feral cats for as long as I can remember! We moved to OR from ID in 1987(when I was 12),and I had strays I cared for there too! I have (at my current residence,in the last 2 years) cared for 4-now 5-adult cats,and a group of 5 kittens(who have all been re-homed now!)....and I have even taken in a stray/needy dog or two. :) I will wear the badge with honor,as I wear my title of "Feral Mommy" with honor. :) I am very low income so I can't afford vet bills,but I do whatever I can for these guys-and gals-as naturally and cheaply as possible. Thanks for having resources for us to fall back on. :)

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Glad to be adding more badges and welcome to those of you who have just joined TCS!

Alisia612, I'll be separating your question into a new thread here, where it can get more replies.