Friend of Ferals Award Badge - Apply Here

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
TARTARA TARTARA the Friends of Ferals badge is for those who not only look after strays and ferals, but are also active in spaying and neutering. That is an essential part of being a Feral Friend. Are you able to do that? :)

TARTARA

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
TARTARA TARTARA the Friends of Ferals badge is for those who not only look after strays and ferals, but are also active in spaying and neutering. That is an essential part of being a Feral Friend. Are you able to do that? :)
We did it in our cat !
We taking care on stray cats somewhere up to 10years, right now we feed 5 stray cats twice a day ! We are doing it by ourselves without any other help and we don't belong in any animal welfare group or something similar ! That's all !

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
We did it in our cat !
We taking care on stray cats somewhere up to 10years, right now we feed 5 stray cats twice a day ! We are doing it by ourselves without any other help and we don't belong in any animal welfare group or something similar ! That's all !
Yes, most people spay/neuter their own cats. It is the cats who are left to wander. If we feed them without spaying and neutering we're allowing more and more cats to breed and to live really difficult and often painful lives. :(

This is an excerpt from our article on helping Stray/Feral cats:
What you should do is take care of neutering any cat that you feed. Feeding and not neutering is nothing short of cruel. You mean well, but in this case, it is the proverbial road to hell that is paved with good intentions. The cats will breed. The cats will also get sick and injured due to mating-related catfights. Within a few months, you're going to be way out of your depth and you'll end up abandoning the cats as you won't be able to afford that many and they will likely die of disease and starvation.

TARTARA

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok... no problem... i can understand... !?
Have a good one !

Anchoress

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Lost count...of my cats over the years...I think 50 years or more... Not big numbers at once but a steadyflow that increased dramatically when I came to Ireland just over 20 years ago and saw the situation here. Oh and Orkney before that. Farming communities with a long history of dire poverty so critters had to ern thei keep same as people! It is easier now with more groups doing TNR work in towns. But atrocities like what was done on Tory Island..... Needlessly as there were organisations ready to take all the cats. I was not in Ireland then, Now there are many small voluntary groups of very caring folk. Who help finance TNR work... My cats iin Ireland have all been farm ferals. Looking at my two newbies! Who may well have been barn born to an outdoor cat. I am abed and they are at the bottom of the bed,, watching me! FIve days here now and this is the closest they have come... lol,,,, I have never even touched them and will not unless and until they are ready... I am sure I will wake one morning to fiind them IN bed with me... when they are ready.. Food is the great peace and progress maker. and loving patiently . Food as a luxury...

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
Hi A Anchoress .. you already have a badge, and I can see you have a thread in Strays and Ferals, so we'll leave this post here and just say thank you for all you do. :)

WarszawaScream

Momma Raptor
Kitten
Purraise
I’ve previously done work caretaking feral cat colonies and volunteering at a local rescue, and am now in the process of doing TNR in my own neighborhood where we have a growing cat problem (all thanks to ONE particularly fertile male, “Stud”, whose neuter appointment is this coming Monday). Also just recently trapped a momma and her babies two doors down and am working on socializing the wee ones for adoption!

casportpony

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Back in 2010 when we moved here, there was a feral cat colony living across the street from us in and around the metal barn there, and I would take food out to them a few days a week. Then, in 2015, the tenants who were also feeding the cats were evicted, so I started feeding them every day.

Several of them had already been spayed or neutered, but not all. So when I can, those get trapped, neutered, and released.

Back in mid-October, in downtown Gilroy, I noticed a calico cat & her two kittens in a parking lot, so I started feeding them whenever I was in the area, On the 28th, I noticed one of the kittens was injured (hind legs paralyzed), so I tried to catch it, but it scurried under a trench plate. I tried for several hours to get it, but was unsuccessful. I went home to get a net and a catch pole, and came back but failed again, so I decided to try to catch the other kitten. It was super hungry, so it pretty much ignored me while scarfing down the food. I reached down and caught it (scruff method). :yess:

The injured one was still under the trench plate, so I left food and water by the opening. When I came back at 2 am, it was curled up by the food and I was able to grab it. It was in bad shape, so I took it to the animal shelter where it was checked by a vet and later euthanized. It has a ruptured bladder and a possible fracture.
DSCN0338.JPG

On Monday the 30th, at 5:45 pm, I went back with a trap to catch the momma. By 6:15 pm she was caught. Here in my county, they do feral spay/neuters on Tuesdays & Thursdays, so the next day I got "in line" at 5:30 am. They limit the number of spay/neuters to the first 15, so you have to get there early.
IMG_20231030_200646253.jpg

Sorry about the blurry picture.
IMG_20231031_063201620.jpg

Before moving here, I was part of a group that was responsible for feeding, spaying, neutering, and providing vet care for a bunch of cats at a horse boarding stable.

Well that's my story. :D

Last edited:

amjswj

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all- I have trapped, brought inside and socialized 6 cats- so far! (Actually, 5 fully socialized so far with #6 in progress— early stages!) One came from a parking lot in AZ, one from a dumpster in VA, and the rest came to us themselves ( we live in a rural area). It has been a long socialization process for each of them, as they were all adults— the longest was nearly 2 years of effort. However, they are now the most loyal and loving companions anyone could have. Here’s (attached)the most recent addition to our home- he is now known as ‘Oreo’ and has been inside for only 2 weeks. He arrived during a major blizzard and we trapped him and got him inside where it’s warm. Took him to our vet first thing and he’s an intact male with no chip. So, he has his ‘appointment’ next week. He’s just figuring things out and I can’t touch him yet, but he will come around quickly I am sure! Feral cats are special!
IMG_6636.jpeg
IMG_6636.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator: