Friday The 13th

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
It's that day of dread when people fear the worst. That day of universal superstition.

Are you superstitious? I'm not, but most people are.

I'll begin with some I've heard.

Bering sea fisherman have lots of superstitions. They will not leave port on a Friday. Bananas are never allowed on a boat. Like many sports figures, they have an item they keep with them on the boat at all times.

Others:

The number 13 is unlucky and a Friday the 13th is especially so. Most buildings don't have floors numbered 13.

Breaking a mirror is 7 years bad luck.

Avoid black cats.

Bad luck comes in threes.

Never open an umbrella inside.

Don't spill salt.

An itch on left palm means you'll get money. The right - a new friend. Itchy feet mean aa trip.

What are your superstitions? Do you take them seriously? Are there others you've heard of? Tell all!

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
13 is my lucky number, and I love black cats. I am not superstitious, but Mom was ridiculous about them. I think they are silly!

FeralPup

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've never ever had a bad day on a Friday the 13th.
Usually the opposite in fact haha.
I don't really believe in superstitions anymore. I worry about other things too much lol
I also did the opposite of avoiding black cats, I adopted one!
And so far it's been the best decision of this year haha.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Not really. I don't worry about black cats or Friday the 13th or anything like that.

Kat0121 Kat0121 If I had a kitty as gorgeous as Sophie, I would always tell her that she brought me nothing but good luck! She is beautiful!
Thanks. She reminds me all the time. :lol:

Here she is on the twin bed in the cat room.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, when it's actually Friday the 13th, I agree with Pogo: Friday the 13th is only unlucky when it falls on some day other than Friday. The rest of the time I simply don't believe that 13 is unlucky.

I have two superstitions:
  1. When a loved one is flying away, the plane won't crash on takeoff as long as I'm watching it take off. (Hey, it never has!) The TSA has made it very hard to act on this superstition.
  2. When I watch the Denver Broncos play a football game, they lose. Therefore, as a loyal Broncos fan, I only watch their games when they're already disqualified for the playoffs and we need them to lose so they'll get a good place in the next year's draft.
And black cats are gorgeous and I still think we should start a rumor that they're slimming. Black cats are only unlucky in the sense that they're persecuted for their color.

Margret

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am not superstitious at all. But I have noticed that there is some truth about bad luck coming in three's.
Celebrity deaths is one of them. They always come in three's. If I break a nail, two more will follow fairly quickly, that sort of thing.
Although I don't believe in ghosts or demons, I think that is where that superstition originated. Something about a demon mocking the holy trinity (wrong wording, but it's something along those lines).

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
kashmir64 kashmir64 , according to the New Testament of the Christian Bible there were 13 people in attendance at the Last Supper, on a Friday. I believe this is the source of the superstition.

Margret

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
kashmir64 kashmir64 , according to the New Testament of the Christian Bible there were 13 people in attendance at the Last Supper, on a Friday. I believe this is the source of the superstition.

Margret
I meant the superstition about 'three'. Not the superstition about the 13th.
Also, it was just a thought that made sense to me. Have no idea about whether it's true or not.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think the threes superstition is fairly recent, and I'm not sure I'd call it a superstition. As you point out, it actually does tend to happen (and I'm sure there's a valid mathematical reason for that, I just don't know what it is). It doesn't really become a superstition until someone decides to add some kind of mystical explanation to it or until we start redefining "celebrity" to make the data fit the superstition.

Margret

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If one was superstitious, I'm sure this flight from the other day would have been absolute torture :lol:

Even moreso if you were the British traveler who sat on seat 13.

img_8077.jpg

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If one was superstitious, I'm sure this flight from the other day would have been absolute torture :lol:

Even moreso if you were the British traveler who sat on seat 13.

View attachment 200361
I heard about that one last night. George Noory posed the question "would you get on this flight?" Of course I would. Except I can't imagine why I would go to Helsinki.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I heard about that one last night. George Noory posed the question "would you get on this flight?" Of course I would. Except I can't imagine why I would go to Helsinki.
Hmm.... I can think of three perfectly good reasons!

The men look like this:

Any takers for seats 13 A&B? The first round of drinks are on me! :flail: